It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Reasons America Will Fall Like Rome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

1. Over-Extended Military - Rome was a republic that turned into an empire. Both empires have extended their military across the known world far beyond their economic sensibilities.

2. Government Corruption - The Roman Empire fell because it was bankrupted by its leaders. Roman Senators were selfish and self-absorbed, determined to hoard the huge wealth of the empire and enhance their wealth even further.
The common people lost all power.

you can read for indepth overview here: hotbedinfo.com...

admin edit: READ our external content guidelines

edit on 27-8-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-27-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-27-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Haha, I like how Feminism is on there,

Story Of my life, Women destroy America!

Ignore those White Protestant Men that have been pulling the strings behind the scenes for 2 centuries

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

100% Correct.

Thanks for putting it so clearly. US/UK Commonwealth Nations have a rough road soon ahead of them.

God Bless,

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It took the (unified) Roman Empire several centuries to decline and fall. The decline was gradual and more a transformation. Your list is too simplistic and merely selects elements which may have currency in the US today.

Regards

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Ignore those White Protestant Men that have been pulling the strings behind the scenes for 2 centuries

Women's equal rights are not the same thing as the feminism movement.

The following issues were increased in part as a result of the feminism movement.
- Birth Control.
- Divorce rates.
- Rebellion from children in the home (as a result of dual income houses)

Again this is not the same thing as women in general or the need for equal rights for women. But the structure of the family unit changed conciderably since the 1950's and a large part of that call for change was driven by Feminism.

As those three areas (birth control, divorces and children misbehaving) are covered directly in the OP as reasons for Rome's collapse; so too can feminism by direct logic, again according to the OP; his logic is understandable.

Women have done FAR less then men at destorying this nation as a whole, I think we can all agree on that!

But Feminism was about changing the role of women in civilization, and when that happens often times the family unit is where the change is most affected and where sometimes the negitive natural side effects of women's diminished roles as full time mothers can lead to tangible data supporting the OP.

God Bless,
edit on 27-8-2012 by ElohimJD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
No offense but it sounds like an uber-Christian Male wrote this list out.. A lot of it doesn't take into account that this is the 21st century and we've (hopefully) evolved beyond the need or women being inferior, or not being able to prevent a pregnancy..

sheesh...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

women didn't destroy america just stupid women who bought into idiotic ideals inserted from wealthy parasites.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You wish... America will only rise, the people who speak bad on America will fall.. And Rome is one of the top destination places to be, so this is all flawed.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Rome has never "fell", just went underground. Which we will all see soon.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Come on ... I actually like the majority of your posts Calgarian but really?

Birth control?
The loss of the tranditional meaning of the marriage ceremony?
The rise of Feminism?

These have nothing to do with why America will fall like Rome. Although I agree that we are in very serious danger of this happening the "real" cause of this all lies in the roots of #2 on your list. GOVERNMENT CORRUPTION. There it is. Everything that we are in danger of dealing with in terms of a collapse is directly related to the acts of evil men and women or the indifference of good men and women within our government.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Not only government corruption but PEOPLE corruption. The government isn't the ONLY thing that is corrupt.
So is our society and we the people allow it. I am thinking we get what is just desserts.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is silly. Rome fell for a variety of reasons. Corruption, multiple internal civil wars and massive pressure from tribes pushing on its borders escaping even more powerful enemies. The splitting of the Empire into the rich East and the poor West and the refusal of the two sides to support each other was the real end.

Some things I find amusing.

The over extended miltary of the US shows me you have no idea the percentage of US active duty forces are on US territories, hint out of 1.4 million, 1.1 million are in the US. And that does not count Reserve or Natioal Guard forces in the US.

Trying to compair Roman use of slaves to illegal immigation.... just to stupid to bother with.

Redistribution of Wealth? Yeah tossing some moldy bread to starving masses is hardly that. The rich in Rome stayed rich and got richer.

Morality? Roman morality was nothing like ours now. Gay sex was common and excepted. The worship of multiple Gods or religions was ok. Muder of the lower classes ok. And this was at the hight of Roman power. Later when Rome became Christian they tried to stamp this out. And Rome fell soon after. In fact some people as have the foolish idea that Rome fell because of Christianity. That idea is as foolish as those in the OP.

For all the many reasons Rome fell comparing it to the US is like comparing apples to earthworms. Yes completely silly.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
rome never fell

it went underground

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
This is silly. Rome fell for a variety of reasons. Corruption, multiple internal civil wars and massive pressure from tribes pushing on its borders escaping even more powerful enemies. The splitting of the Empire into the rich East and the poor West and the refusal of the two sides to support each other was the real end.

All empires collapse for one reason - over extending.

Look at a village, the most contentious things are what color the welcome sign should be or the price of eggs in the local farm shop. But as a community becomes larger and larger, under the same rules where corruption by the most powerful is rife, it implodes upon itself.

As a community becomes ever larger and governed by the same select "family" of elites, their ability to manage the social system collapses.

This has happened throughout history, from the Romans to the British Empire, the Nazis and the Soviets to modern America.

As the group being governed increases in complexity and the economic, Human and natural resources are stretched, the empire collapses.

Everything you state in your post as being a combination of reasons for the collapse of Rome are ultimately down to the failings of the very notion of Empire itself.

As for the OP, the list is just more right-wing craziness as far as I'm concerned. Basically it's everything a gun loving, bible thumping, constitution waving, old white man would say.

The primary reason America will fall is the massive economic disparity.

Right now, most Americans don't know the facts about how the wealth is divided in the USA. If they did, you would have had a violent revolution already. One day the penny will drop and people will suddenly know what's been going on. It might be through their own loss, but there will come a saturation point where far too many people have been affected and far too many know why.

When that happens, there will likely be a revolution. That is when the decision will be made to either progress and radically change the nation for the better, or the government will fight with everything it has to retain control over an already failed nation.

Personally, I think whoever is in power at the time in the USA will end up doing exactly what Assad is doing, and what Gaddafi did too. I hope they would see sense and move with the people, but as the government is totally controlled by the rich boys club I don't see that happening.
edit on 27-8-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thank you OP for posting this article.

At the time of Jesus' death, the Jews shouted "Crucify Him, Crucify Him" and stated that they had "No king but Ceasar". They released the "son of the father' (Barabbas) instead of the true Son of God.

Now that we live in the new Roman world with its sports, cage fighting, hedonism, promoted homosexuality, the military academies promoting "gay & lesbian weeks", celebrities, orgies, sex swapping, tolerance of multiple gods and the ever increasing shouts from our youth on this public board to "Elimate Christians", it is all too apparent - the last beast is revived and in full swing. Tolerance makes it's adherents completely intolerant of those who preach the gospel message of Christ. Their love of sin and pleasure leads them to kill and hate, the fruits of reprobate minds.

So now the son of perdition is due, the one that the Jews symbolically chose instead of the true Son of the Father 2,000 years ago. Instead of Jesus, the world gets the son of perdition, the destroyer, the son of Satan. It will be the 'ancient gods' all over again.

We live in Rome. Sin leads to death, and we are dying. There is a choice to be made by everyone - choose good and life or evil and death.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
There are just too many things wrong with this list.
1. Over-Extended Military - Rome was occupying and ruling these other territories, while we do have bases all over the world we are not declaring places like germany are part of the "American Empire"-Fail

2. Government Corruption – Name one government in the world, in HISTORY that was free of corruption. You cant

3. Immigration - This would take to long to go into at lenght but there is a huge difference, the position the author takes would make sense if we took over Mexico, but we didn't.

4. Birth Control -??? I would like to know where he got the data on roman birth rates and how "perversion" lowers birth rates. I can only take a guess that he is talking about homosexuals but they were already being phased out even before the Christians took over.

5. Elimination of the Middle Class- I don't see how that was related as many cultures did not even develop a middle class until much latter and flourished but rome used slaves, so in rome you either owned property or you didn't.

im too lazy to go on but its pretty much just a list of fictional crap written by someone who probably just listens to Rush Limbaugh and Bible Radio all day.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
#11 Morons that can't comprehend that we have been to the moon.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Lots of people believe if women were to stay home with the kids all day, there'd be enough jobs for the men to provide for the family, because more money and less ppl in work force. The immigrants stay home and have kids while the working class women (LOADS, because more women are in college then men now) have 1 kid.. when they are like 35.

Its the internal take over.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Can anyone provide arguments against the list with cited sources?

Otherwise, unsupported arguments against the list are nothing more than opinionated conjecture.

Star and Flagged OP.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
edit on 28-8-2012 by squidboy because: Edited sited to cited, to appease a grammer nazi.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by squidboy
Can anyone provide arguments against the list with sited sources?

Im sure you mean "cited" but anyways, since the author clearly did not feel the need to back up anything he is saying with facts or figures i don't see why anyone else should be bothered to.
Would it make you feel better if I just listed a few books and a link to wiki answers at the end of the list I started?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join