It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity "ChemCam": 5 little holes and one strange object nearby...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm thinking chemcam as well...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sussy
reply to post by Arken

Arken could you take a look at the new thumbnail highlighted in red (sol 19) The picture is showing a pattern of sorts. See what you think? I did enlarge it and am curious to see what others think.

Sorry, I can't. very very small image.... and low resolution.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by Arken

Another fantastic find Arken
Thinks DUNE
is there any way to get some sort of size reference of the holes or distances between them 1 wonders
snf

DUNE you said? Frank Herbert Space Opera?

You are more near the truth than you can imagine, my friend.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
On Sol 19 I found this intriguing image by Curiosity ChemCam. What are these 5 holes? And what that strange object with 2 parallel lines of holes nearby?
ChemCam: Remote Micro-Imager 2012-08-25 15:40:25 UTC

The holes (scroll bar)

The object with parallel holes (scroll bar)

Has Curiosity finally found trace of civilization on the Red Planet?

Nasa is waiting to launch the news?

edit on 27-8-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Yon cant tell from that image if that is actually holes in the other object or just marks/bumps on the surface and it does look like the laser has made the holes NOT that will make any difference to you or your star and flaggers

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
The image before this one shows the same rock face with out the 5 holes.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Looks like the work of the laser.

Mystery solved. Thanks...and darn!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprex
The image before this one shows the same rock face with out the 5 holes.

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Looks like the work of the laser.

Do we have any source that identifies the laser as making these kinds of holes?

Maybe it was a micro-drill on the rover?

I sure would like to see the text stating that the rover's laser leaves these sort of marks.... just for the sake of certainty.

In other words, to avoid the debunker's paradox, I want to know what it is - not what it could be.

No offense intended... just looking for some affirmation stronger than "could be."
edit on 27-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

say hallo to Mike by me.

Mike would have added at least two exclamation points.

It's a nice find, but I guess the post by Cyprex shows the explanation.

Keep looking, you never know.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Could be the laser, the same type of hole is seen here, just only one hole.

PEW PEW PEW..

Curiosity's Chemical and Camera instrument, or ChemCam, fires a laser pulses that last just five one-billionths of a second but deliver more than a million watts of power, enough to turn solid rock into an ionized plasma. A trio of spectrometers in the tool then studies the sparks from the laser fire on 6,144 different wavelengths of ultraviolet, visible and infrared light to determine the composition of the vaporized rock.

edit on 27-8-2012 by Mianeye because: Added stuff

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Damn that paper mâché! Picks up what ever shape is around ;-) !

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by JT92252
reply to post by Arken

Those could also be holes made by the laser...

yes it looks like what science would do to get samples by burning and sniffing and such.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by Arken

Another fantastic find Arken
Thinks DUNE
is there any way to get some sort of size reference of the holes or distances between them 1 wonders
snf

DUNE you said? Frank Herbert Space Opera?

You are more near the truth than you can imagine, my friend.

Haha I got that one, he meant DUDE.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Fracking on Mars.

Seriously though, could NASA have probed the soil in that area, and then taken a pic after they had probed?

Even if they didn't thats what they will say.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Makes sense to me that it's the rover's laser at work, given the before and after photos. None the less, I for one, am grateful that there are people such as Arken taking the time to carefully examine these pictures and present any curiosities found for us to see and discuss. Cheers!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by meemaw
Makes sense to me that it's the rover's laser at work, given the before and after photos. None the less, I for one, am grateful that there are people such as Arken taking the time to carefully examine these pictures and present any curiosities found for us to see and discuss. Cheers!

Yes the five main holes in the foreground of the image was made by the laser I don't think the OP ever claimed other wise. What he pointed out is that there are 2 line of parallel dots on the rock structure to the right of the holes made by the rover. There are also to parallel lines in the rock just to the right of those to. Those dots are visible in the images before this one.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I don't know arken. They are not clear in any way. could be anything. The colorizing doesn't help any either.
As far as I'm aware the chemcam's laser makes really really really tiny holes, so the things you are saying are even smaller holes......I just don't see how they could be artificial. And, again, really crap picture to be trying to decipher them out of the background noise of pixelation at that level.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
I don't know arken. They are not clear in any way. could be anything. The colorizing doesn't help any either.
As far as I'm aware the chemcam's laser makes really really really tiny holes, so the things you are saying are even smaller holes......I just don't see how they could be artificial. And, again, really crap picture to be trying to decipher them out of the background noise of pixelation at that level.

Correct. Thanks.

5 Laser's holes... on the same rock... hmmm... maybe...

But what makes me wander is this:

This is not pixellation.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

are you kidding? there's tons of pixelation at that level of zoom, just look at it. for all you know that could be a crack around the rock with shadows making it look like holes. or it could be bumps that due to the lighting and the greyscale look inverted.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

are you kidding?

NO.
No kidding at all. This is not pixellation. The same parallel holes in the image without zooming and clearly visible. mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Looks artifical. A ufo base mabey. Interesting find.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

its definitely not pixelation. The holes texture blends in consistently with surrounds. No way not pixelation go sell that convenient debunking rhetoric on someother blog.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join