It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness--how the hell do they expect to make it? (Anxiety, Rage, Bi-polar, Ect)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
So, I have a question.

People who understand the basics of how flimsy the world actually is, and understand that survival skills and the political know-how may be meaningful and needed one day, like to prepare for it. Right?

But I have a friend who has extreme bi-polar issues, who knows many conspiracies, but doesn't care much for them. He has serious problems with self mutilation, and attacking others on occasion... and he's also a pretty sheltered person.

Another friend of mine has extreme anxiety issues. Getting a job at a local grocery store was enough to send her into three panic attacks.

And also, my brother has severe ausburgers syndrome He lives in his own world, and he can NOT live on his own, ever.

Then, there's the medical side of the entire thing. My bi-polar friend needs medication, and even now, living a normal life, he won't take it consistently, and he has dramatic mental chemical imbalances and mood swings. My anxiety friend needs meds too, but she isn't taking them right now. My brother doesn't take medication, but his problem is beyond repair.

I can't talk to any of them about these serious issues that I care about, because they can't afford to care about such huge issues. Doomsday prepping, storing food and water, learning how to scavenge, ect. Just thinking about any kind of conspiracy sends them into a breakdown.

I'm afraid I already know the answer, but... when TSHTF, are they going to make it?

And if so, how...?
edit on 27-8-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: I wanted to

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I understand exactly what you are talking about. Someone closest to me is very frail mentally and I have been fighting to keep her off meds for as long as we have been together. I'm afraid she would go utterly suicidal like the wife in the movie The Road if society collapsed... but then again, who wouldn't?

My only hope is the fact that most of these mental illnesses are "diseases of society" so to speak so maybe when TSHTF these folks will suddenly come into their element and be alive like never before.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

They'll make it if you are there for them. But in the event of power outages, those meds will disappear quickly possibly causing them to be a threat to you over time.

In a true SHTF/TEOTWAWKI event, pretty much any one who depends upon meds or constant medical attention will die off pretty quickly.

I'm not being cold, just honest...and I don't like it either.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Not to bring negativity to this thread, but you've asked an important question and I'm going to assume you want an honest answer.

If TSHTF, I'm afraid it's going to *literally* come down to what everybody knows as survival of the fittest. Beliefs in Darwin or not, that is the concept that is going to determine what survives a fight or flight situation. Meds, and other dependencies are not going to be available, and those who require certain things aren't going to fare well. The more one depends, the harder time one will have under pressure.

Unfortunately, I have to leave for class soon, or I'd elaborate more on my opinion. I look forward to checking back on this thread when I get home.

Cheers,
Nos
edit on 27-8-2012 by Nostalgic because: sp

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
My suggestion - neurofeedback for all three before TSHF.

u2u me if you want links to studies.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I dont know if these people would be able to make it, one has to consider that without
the infrastructure they will obviously not be able to get their meds, then one has to
consider that the stresses will only get worse once a cataclysm happens,
my sad guess is that there would be a huge uptick in suicide very shortly after
due to the meds simply being gone right away, no time to ween them off which
can raise the risk for suicide.

also we will see allot of them simply be killed off quickly due to society no longer
being there to protect them, if a crazed person attacks you or your family and there
is no one to call or to help then i can see them being delt with harshly out of fear.

truth is there are so many people even without mental disorders that just would not
know what to do if it all fell apart, they rely so heavily on the infrastructure and other people
that they have no idea how to be responsible for themselves, they have only ever
taken from society because they feel entitled to do so, im not saying only rich people
here im saying everyone with that messed up self entitled delusion.

in short very few might make it but i doubt it will be many.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Maybe its not Mental Issues! Have you attempted to just ask them- What is bothering them? The Label Mental anything is big time money making business in healthcare!! The hospitals that these poor people are being thrown into also get by with killing patients. Read some of the side effects on whatever medication youre friends are taking. Basically the general public is just not informed on what is really going on in Mental Hospitals!! A good website to check out is Citizens Commision on Human Rights in California.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
They should write a book.. No, seriously, they really should try that. Might be a "new one" for the market, being written by some extreme angles.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
A lot of these crazy people might come out of the woodwork and show just how intelligent they really were, especially the one's that were faking it for the easy ride. People with certain rage issues might do better without medication in a survival issue.

There are different groups of people with extreme problems that can be divided by negative or positive.
The people with the most negative symptoms are going to come off the worst and these people fall into the categories that suffer from anxiety and depression and some schizophrenics, these people will have a hard time.

The positive group are the ADD-ADHD these people have endless energy, then there's the Intermittent explosive type and maybe a few classes of psychopath's will benefit in a positive way from this.

I know you are worried about the people that might not be able to defend themselves in a bad scenario but you should be even more worried about the opposition.

edit on 27-8-2012 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

You, also, should write a book. It seems your angle might be fairly extreme as well.

I'd read it.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Apollo7

I understand what you mean, and personally, I am one of the people who has been called "mentally ill" when I used to be in school. I do not actually have a mental illness, I was a misfire on their part. The zoloft and the hallucinations and homicidal thoughts it gave me were just a formality to them. I despise those people, don't get me wrong.

But my friends are different. I've had extensive conversations with them, and unlike my other friends, I can't seem to help them feel better no matter how much I want to. One of them is eaten alive with self hate and rage, the other one eaten alive with self hate and depressive anxiety, and they simply can NOT stop freaking out. I really do think that they both have a chemical problem.

Thanks for all your imput guys

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I have suffered with anxiety disorder all of my life. I had something traumatic happen to me and the doctor put me on xanax, because I was having debilitating anxiety and agoraphobia. Once I improved, I decided I wanted off of xanax. I had been on it for 4 years. I started to try a slow taper, and found out that this drug was really difficult for me to stop taking. My doctor was not smart about how to taper it, but supportive of it, so I did my own research and found out how to get off of it. It was total hell coming off this medication. Sometimes, I have wanted to go back to it because of my anxiety.

But here is the thing. I am SO glad I am off of this drug and will never go back on it or anything addictive again. If something happened where I ran out of this medication, and could not get more, I'd be in huge trouble. People have died from being abruptly cut off of a benzodiazepine. It's dangerous, and you can have seizures or heart attack.

My suggestion is this, to learn how to deal with anxiety without the medication, because if you ever land in a situation where you run out of this medication or others like it, and cannot taper it properly, you could die from that alone.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

The people you describe, being able bodied, just may be extraordinarily resourceful in times of absolute crisis - people have managed prior to the introduction of psychopharmaceuticals, it may be their becomming... who's to know??

I'd be more concerned about the welfare of the elderly and infirm, the young children and those with physical restrictions - they are people, friends of, relatives of as well.... their situations will insist that they need additional support and will place a higher degree of responsibility on those that choose to support them.

They're the ones that would probably perish first.... just a thought.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Socrato
I understand exactly what you are talking about. Someone closest to me is very frail mentally and I have been fighting to keep her off meds for as long as we have been together. I'm afraid she would go utterly suicidal like the wife in the movie The Road if society collapsed... but then again, who wouldn't?

My only hope is the fact that most of these mental illnesses are "diseases of society" so to speak so maybe when TSHTF these folks will suddenly come into their element and be alive like never before.

Unfortunately we will not be able to control the actions of others. There will be people who will lose it, and choose to end their lives. Not everyone is going to be strong. I have suffered from some terrible anxiety and I have questioned myself as to whether or not I'll be able to handle a major SHTF situation. I can't answer that question until I'm knee deep in. I can only hope that I can dig deep and find the strength to continue.

The thing is, if she has the will to live, then she will continue and will make it through.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
BTW, ATS friends, something I have not shared on this forum:

I had a friend that was depressed, and she took her life the day after 9/11. She couldn't handle it. She felt like that was the end of everything and chose to go.
This is an example of how some cannot handle trauma or big events. I miss her every day.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
There is a concept that explains what you asked.

Survival of the fittest, something humans like to think we are above.

When in reality is we can go on a plane to areas of the world where people like the ones you describe currently have a hard time surviving.

For them TSHTF the moment they where born into a third world country, any place mental illness is not treated or cared for properly.

There is an argument to be made that Survival of the fittest is not all there is, empathy comes into play, even among dogs.

I would hope in a SHTF scenario man retains that empathy to help those in need, otherwise whats even the point of surviving.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Short answer? Many will not survive.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

The power behind the effectiveness of the "placebo effect" is faith that the drug will work. How much more will faith in God Himself to heal be manifested? Our western nations, as they draw away from putting all of their faith in Him, are suffering the highest rates of mental illness that we have ever seen. The vast majority of even Christians run to Babylon's "pharmakeia" to be healed despite God's repeated assurances in His power to heal. During Jesus' ministry, he healed many mental illness conditions through the power of God. See, He found so very little real Faith in God and therefore a population that was swarming with the results of choosing evil. Did He not say that the world would once again be in the same condition? That He questioned if there would be any faith at all?

I admire you for your concerns regarding your friends in these upcoming trials and tribulations. Most of us probably have the same concerns and worries about our friends and family. God is so very patient, not wanting any to perish and all to be saved, that he applies these many pressures in order to lead us to repentance. These hardships are to humble us and weaken us because a proud heart will never turn and seek Him for forgiveness. Your fiends do have healing available when those medicines are removed as Babylon falls - through faith in the power of God Almighty. These words may be ignored now, but perhaps you will remember them later on as the tribulations become more pressing. Please remember that it is God placing this weight upon your shoulders in hopes that you will sink to your knees in repentance, which is true sorrow. Your worries for your friends and family are such a weight, and your general feelings of upcoming events are as well. God asks you to repent in these last days and then ask you to place these burdens on Him. If you could only understand that so many are not taking this seriously, and that they do not even have a sense of what is coming... I pray that you remember these words...in the days of the flood, all who perished had no clue that it was coming. It will be the same again. That ark was salvation just as God is salvation today through the one and only name under Heaven by which we must be saved.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Not forgetting of course the people with diabetes who need their insulin. If things go bad, they're all in a lot of trouble.

(Or indeed asthmatics who need their inhalers, people who need their blood pressure pills, etc, etc.)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Their egos have already been displaced shattered into a million fragments .

These people will be changing your nappy if the events you all crave
Come to be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join