It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mental Illness--how the hell do they expect to make it? (Anxiety, Rage, Bi-polar, Ect)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
First off, depression/anxiety/bi-polar meds are poison. They do more harm than good, causing untold bouts of violence, murder and suicide. That's when taken as directed. Even for those who are helped, or at least not harmed by them, a sudden stop in those meds can and does cause the above effects in dramatic fashion. When the SHTF lots of violence will come from that fact alone.

People should research and work with their doctors and blah, blah, blah, don't take my internet person advice stuff, but also, anyone who has depression or anxiety or the not knocking-on-schizophrenia's-door type bi-polar should look into the research on omega 3s. I'm bi-polar and have been taking omega 3s for it for 4 years now and I feel better than I ever did on the drugs big pharma pushed. I have more even moods and no major manic or severely depressive episodes since I've been on it. It's been a godsend. Not to mention it's cheap, has a long shelf life, and can be found in food if you can't get supplements.

As far as the mentally ill in general when things get really bad, I agree with the poster that said some won't make it. Some won't. And I also agree that many will thrive because a lot of the anxiety, etc. is produced by society. It's like the inverse of what a lot of military vets experience when they come home from war. Vets have been living right on the edge, life and death survival stuff and they come home to grocery shopping and bills and the general kick in the balls humiliation that is modern life. For a lot of people I think going from the ball kicking to survival is going to make them sharper and more full of purpose. Mental stress causes a lot of problems that physical stress does not.

Just to toss an ancedote in for those who are worried about loved ones, I was diagnosed bi-polar when I was 17 after a suicide attempt and two weeks in the psych ward. Less than a month after that my mom moved in with her boyfriend and left me alone with no car, no phone, no job, 5 miles from the nearest town. I had no choice but to step up and take care of myself. Sometimes that's what it takes to blow through the B.S. and learn how strong you really are.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jebbaroo
reply to post by Hefficide

Have to share a joke with you: "I hate being bipolar. It's awesome!"

Not exactly a solid portrayal of our circumstances, but funny all the same (I think).

Two of my favourites which i've shared with Mental Health Professionals before.

"There's nothing wrong with me, it's the rest of the world that's mad"

"I'm not mentally ill, i just see and hear things the way they really are"

Always to be met with a stern and unamused face. Is it me or do a lot of them not have a sense of humour?

edit on 28-8-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
A lot of mental illness is caused by the type of world we live in, that's why theres so much of it compared to just a century ago.

"It is of no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"
- Jiddu Krishnamurti

You never know, maybe getting some fresh air, eating and drinking straight from nature, and being free from all the oppression, injustices, propaganda and general filth that comes with life in a decaying society may do some people a lot of good.

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
It is in my honest opinion, that most mental illness, is the result of poor coping mechanisms, many people with psychiatric problems, had no close supportive people around them that they felt they could go to. So they become isolated and internalize developing poor social skills. Removing unhealthy coping mechanisms, that ALL of us learned as children should be a priority; not just the people labeled with a particular mental illness.

I would hope that posters, would have a little more tact than to use words such as crazy etc. it is derogatory to people that already have a hard enough time as it is. So please tread lightly...I mean you wouldn't spout racial slurs here at ATS would you? To the people that live with such a hardship on a daily basis, without a choice. It is the same thing. So please bear that in mind...

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Skitz,

You wrote: Is it me or do a lot of them not have a sense of humour?

A lot of them do not have a sense of humour. No one likes crazy jokes when delivered by someone who meets the criteria. Makes them too uncomfortable - maybe they're afraid to laugh because they're worried we're sensitive? Whatever, they're our issues, and if we are well enough to laugh about them, then all is good.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Severe conditions aren't going to make it, unless the people involved have access to some form of medical facility or warehouse that is fully stocked and secure, which - lets face it - would be extremely rare, and given certain medicine life-spans even that may not be an option for long.

As for mental illnesses - it depends on the illness I guess. Bipolar doesn't mean helpless in a lot of cases.

Severe autistic savants would suffer because their care mechanisms would be lost, moving down the autism spectrum - depending on the severity of the condition you might be suprised - low level savants and those with aspergers can display an amazing amount of inner focus and might actually be more suited to looking after themselves because they effectively blank the outside world off. But like I say, that depends on severity.

It does make you think though... without access to the medication we take for granted in the western world we'd be on a slippery slope very quickly.

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Hmmm... I dont think I have a mental illness. However, that in and of itself probably means that I do. I must convince myself of that I do so that I do not judge others. Sound odd? Well it most definitely feels odd. When I experience any emotion other than Zen, or attempt to judge or become enraged by a percieved injustice (pre-pubescent child rape, murder, theft, being a traitor..etc) I remind this terrible person who is me (see, there is an example for you) that " Pal, you are just as much if not more a piece of garbage than the perpetrators of what you percieve to be so wrong, you live here , you enjoy the things that make you happy, what have you done that has made a difference?" Usually that kills the episode of self righteousness and I can carry on with life for a bit more. Especially lately. What makes me special? Not a thing. So now when I think "Man it would be nice to despense my form of justice." I just say to myself "You first, coward." And since Im selfish and enjoy the moments I love, and dont want to cut my own hands and feet off while simultaneously scalping myself, I just try to live and let live. Deal with my own poor choices, because they are indeed many.

So is that a mental illness? Id say so. Dont like being retarded but that is what I am. And i am ok with it. See, that is what gives me peace, knowing that I am less. It allows me to actually maybe be of some service to others in hopes that I may be redeemed for my actions. Even though I know the hopes are false and there is no such thing as redemption, Its simply a made up concept that allows us to escape responsibility for the things we have done, the people we have hurt, the planet weve destroyed and the time we have wasted.
edit on 31-8-2012 by psyko4570 because: more puke

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'd look into things like home made remedies or natural medicines.

Try looking up concoctions that you can make into teas.

Perhaps a few psychoactive plants can be utilized.

I know of a few plants that can be ingested that can help, even if just a little.

It just takes a little research and maybe talk to your doctor honestly about your concerns.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I hate to say it, but in the "new world", it really will be survival of the fittest.

Those with medical conditions, mental issues etc probably won't make it; unless they are supported by a community who are happy to carry them ... which, I would argue, most won't.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Thank you very much for the replies guys, it's giving me some serious thought. It's good to see everyone's perspective on this stuff.

BTW, just as a side question to anyone who feels like giving me their view on it--do you think someone who's experienced a couple of near-death experiences would have an edge in a SHTF scenario due to the overly stimulated paranoia and fear of dying? Just a thought

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
In our current society, a diagnosis of "mental illness" is highly relevant and shapes the way you are treated by others and shapes the way society includes you.

In that world, the category of "mental illness" will simply cease to exist. It will be like your "official name" on your birth certificate: only older people from before the fall will even have an official record. And those who didn't like their 'permanent record' will simply change it. Within a year, every survivor will have a really cool name. No one will be "Marion" or "Wesley" after that.

Likewise, no one will claim mental illness unless they are trying to get out of something, like having to chop firewood or having to run the gauntlet for having stolen food. "I'm crazy! CRAZY! I'm CRAZY get away from me! There's no telling what I'll do next!"

On the other hand, it will be assumed that EVERYONE is a potential axe-murderer, who climbed over the electric fence at maximum security when the power went out. You will assume that everyone you meet could be a spy for a group of bandits, or else a pickpocket.

In that environment, anyone who flies off the handle because they didn't want brown gravy on their mashed potatoes, or anyone who demands gluten-free toilet paper, or anyone who actually gets drunk while everyone is walking around with pistols and machetes, will be asking for it anyway.

If you freak out in the chow line, and kick over the vat of "meat" because you have oppositional defiant disorder, the response you get will be the same as if you are a saboteur, or as if you are a spy creating a diversion while the rest of your bandit-friends steal the one working motor we still own:

you get beat down, and you miss a meal. Maybe all meals.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is something that I have thought about due to the fact that my wife suffers from clinical depression and is on citalopram. The withdrawals from this "non-addictive" drug can be fatal if the medicine dosage is stopped abruptly. The best way off is to taper off very gradually. It's for this reason that i keep at least one month supply in reserve. If for some reason we are not able to get her meds, we can use that one month supply to taper off, and it is a rotating supply. I know that the meds have an experation date. Many of those that are suffering form some tyoe of mental illness would not do well in a SHTF scenario, they would become a threat to themselves, die off from the withdrawals, or become a threat to others who would do what they had to to protect themselves and their families.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My friends surprise me.

My anxiety friend, for example... when she had those panic attacks, I was thinking "My God, if you're freaking out about something as small as this, how are you gonna survive if the world goes to hell?"

Then, the other night, we were all wandering around downtown, in a sort of dangerous part of the city. This tattooed guy came up and started talking to one of my friends, and my anxiety friend stood between the tattooed guy and my other friend. She was being very protective, and very gutsy.

My bi-polar friend goes COMPLETELY insane when he skips out on his meds, but he can fight like a mother f%$#@#. The problem with him is, he fights with my anxiety friend, and in a SHTF scenario, his outbursts wouldn't be tolerated. He blows his top about the smallest things, and the tiniest little events make him want to attack people. I don't know how different he'd be in a SHTF scenario, but hopefully he'd surprise me too.

In my friend circle, my family, each of us has some kind of disorder--and they're all different.

One friend has anxiety, one has severe bi-polar, one of them is a mild schitzo, one has very mild autism, one has mild ausburgers AND is a mild schitzo, and me personally, I have what's called ED. Emotional disturbance.

I have no idea what emotional disturbance means, what it consists of, or how it affects me. I was never educated about it. I was stuck with pills and a week in the loony bin when I was 13, and that's all.

Honestly, I know less about my own chances of survival than any of my friends.

Does anyone have any clue what ED actually is...?
edit on 3-10-2012 by XxNightAngelusxX because: of stupid EFFING typos

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Definition
We’ve chosen to use the term “emotional disturbance” in this fact sheet because that is the term used in the nation’s special education law, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

IDEA defines emotional disturbance as follows:

“…a condition exhibiting one or more of the following characteristics over a long period of time and to a marked degree that adversely affects a child’s educational performance:

(A) An inability to learn that cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory, or health factors.

(B) An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers and teachers.

(C) Inappropriate types of behavior or feelings under normal circumstances.

(D) A general pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression.

(E) A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems.”

As defined by IDEA, emotional disturbance includes schizophrenia but does not apply to children who are socially maladjusted, unless it is determined that they have an emotional disturbance.

Source

From what I can tell it's an umbrella term for "pretty much normal"

~Heff

ETA: Your anxiety friend with the courage? Read my first post in this thread! Toldya!

edit on 10/3/12 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
They should write a book.. No, seriously, they really should try that. Might be a "new one" for the market, being written by some extreme angles.

You've never seen "Being John Malkovich" before? Already been done.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hmmmm. Being that I think this whole society has gone nuts, I think your friends fit right in very well
It's strange, if you think you are possibly nuts....you aren't nuts. It's only people who don't think they are nuts that can be nuts
Since I think I'm a little nuts, I'm perfectly noirmal

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

pretty sure that's just a pop cultural saying....but seems to hold true for the most crazy among us

i know ima little crazy...what does that make me?

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

A person who is crazy won't think they are crazy. The mind gets distorted and thinks that what one perceives is real and this distorts perception to reinforce their beliefs. Sadly to say but many people meet the criteria for mania.
Especially people in politics.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Actually, at least in my case, the exact opposite is true. Because I am aware that I have mental illness, I tend to over analyze and question my own thoughts, impulses, urges, feelings, etc. ceasinglessly. I am forever filtering myself to make sure that the crazy doesn't make it out.

Ironically - this sometimes backfires and I end up looking way crazier than I actually am.

But that's the truth of it. There are illnesses that possess the quality of not being self-aware of them. Truly, there are times when I envy those people in a way. At least they never have to reach ~that~ point on the dating curve when they say "Ummm... just so you know, I have problem X and problem Y and problem Z.... thought I should say that so you don't feel as though I've misled you...."

~Heff

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'm OCPD. I haven't been officially diagnosed, but I think I have it. I'm veyr detail oriented and can't focus on the broader picture. I might also have auspergers or a autism-spectrum disorder.

In a SHTF I'd probably melt. But who knows. I hope that never happens. I would like to see our world get better and continue to progress forward. A SHTF event would make us go backward.

Basically, I don't think disaster and destruction make us better. What they DO do is adapt us to them. So if we continually live (adapt) in a time of mayhem and death, we NEED it to survive. Similarly, adapting to a place of calm and peace would mean utter extinction if living in a hellish place.
edit on 3-10-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join