It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone's reaction to the quakes in SoCal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Im not sure if this deserves it's own thread or not, (Mods?), but I was watching the seismograms for Yellowstone when the quakes that just hit outside San Diego started showing up on the monitors.

Here's the link to the quakes,

earthquake.usgs.gov...

and here's a link to the page that has all the Jellystone monitors

www.isthisthingon.org...

Now Im not saying Yellowstone is gonna blow. This is a typical reaction to larger quakes anywhere in the world. Jellystone shakes all the time.

Click on the images for the different stations around the park.

Kinda cool huh?
edit on 26-8-2012 by Idahomie because: Because

edit on 26-8-2012 by Idahomie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
YMR station has an extreme sensible recorder....normal pattern for that graphic...
nothing to worry about

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
tremors in socal all morning.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Idahomie

Yes, it's pretty typical for some of the seismos in YS to pick up teleseisms, and relatively speaking, SoCal isn't all that far away so they arrived fairly quickly. Following the mag 4.9 in SoCal at 19:33 UTC, the P waves reached YS at around 19:34:30. (The YTP seismo has a good, clear trace as they come in.) This arrival is actually a little sooner than the estimated arrival time on the USGS map here, but some variation is normal.

But the main thing is -- as you say -- they don't indicate that old YS is gonna blow. It's just normal teleseism activity. And yes, it is kinda cool.
Amazing to think how fast those P waves travel. All that way in just a couple of minutes...

Best regards,

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I just happened to be looking at them when all of sudden it was obvious something had just happened somewhere in the world.

Kinda like just happening to be looking up when a meteor enters the atmosphere overhead.

new topics

top topics

join