It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt's Ancient Fleet: Lost for Thousands of Years, Discovered in Cave

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is totally awesome. Great story.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is a great discovery. I always thought the Egyptians were not that big on sea dwelling vessels, this could explain a lot about ancient cultures and how they all interacted. Having Egyptians, Mayans, and Oriental cultures intermingling would explain a whole lot about the history of the world as we know it.

GREAT FIND.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I saw the link forwarded but ran across this site, which discusses this, and also provides near the bottom, a full reprinting of the article.

And it is a fitting entry into an Conspiracy Site. The Smithsonian deliberately hiding finds? Hmmmmm. It makes one wonder.

Archeological Coverups is a bit of a read, but the genesis of the discussion is the supposed location of several caves, of man made construction, found in an area of the Grand Canyon that is surrounded by formations claimed to be referred to as the The Temple of Isis, Horus Temple, Tower of Ra and on and on.

Uniquely Egyptian names for landmarks in Arizona. A compelling story never the less.

The following is an intriguing article entitled "Archeological Coverups", by David Hatcher Childress in the above NEXUS magazine. Following that is a newspaper article from a 1909 newspaper indicating a bizarre suppressed find in the Grand Canyon area.

It indicates either a hoax published at the time OR that the Smithsonian and/or the government is covering up details of past archeological discoveries that would rock current understanding of the past.

The sad part is, Freedom within the presumed Land of the Free, is something to just talk about, since NO ONE IS PERMITTED ACCESS TO THE AREA, but I digress.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
Fascinating and interesting as always!
Well done again!

It's interesting this find gives credence to the debate regarding Egyptian sea-fairing ability, considering the greater part of historical paradigm likes to illustrate the Egyptians as primarily river-navigating and trading where cities located on the coast of the Mediterranean, or situated close in the delta were contact points with the outside world with cultures that had ocean going technology.

In an effort not to fill ATS with copies of duplicate materials, I would suggest you take a look. A calm, considered, and open look at Twin Ancient Cultures On Opposite Sides Of The Pacific started by FoosM.

It may appear that the topic is somewhat centered in another area, but there is quite a bit of materials presented for consideration that do suggest Egyptian's WHERE here in the Americas, from as early as 2400 BC via the Pacific, and around 1000 BC as part of King Solomon's allies.

Anyways, you can review it if you wish. Materials you are seeking are there to be considered. It is after all, Your choice if you accept them as creditable items of evidence. It's not mine to tell you to.

Enjoy

Ciao

Shane

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
In my previous response to Druscilla there is a link to another thread here in ATS that is quite current.

Egypt is discussed quite a bit, and those comments are directed to their Seafaring Abilities.

Egyptian Galleons in ancient Egypt and Egyptian art is a nice Link to view what we are discussing here.

Egyptian seafaring ships from the 5th Dynasty 2458-2446 BCE

This sort of Vessel, was sailed, according to suggested evidence, via the East Coast of Africa, towards India, around Pacific Rim Islanders and to the "New World" some 3500 Years ago.

The next influx of Egyptian is around 1000-900 BC, when they (Egypt) became part of the Allies of King Solomon as this Link discusses. The Material is a little light on the Vessels, since it was Tyre and the Phoenicians, that built the vessels of Solomon's Fleet. The River type boats of the Egyptians would be very serviceable for using for Up River Ventures in the "Distant" Lands visited, and would quite easily have been stowed in Phoenicians Ocean Vessels.

As noted, the Link I gave above to Druscilla has this presented in more detail.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
if you beleive the history we are tought you are already being brainwashed and will never be able see the forest through the trees,humans have been around alot longer than we all think cmon all these sacred sites that still stand today that are nothing but "tourist atractions" please! they are more than that and we all know it! i think we are in the 3rd 4th or 5th modern civilization.Its human naturte to explore i mean what eles you got to do? the brits just want the credit of all new discoveries so even though cook apparently found and maped australia this time round he was NOT the 1st,only the first this time round.

dont question the history of us LOL

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Shane

Great link. Thanks for posting the info

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

They we're trading with them
. Those Olmec statues clearly show features of those that aren't indigenous. The Land of Gods, hmm.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta

Hey Slayer, I hate to do this to you and please don't take offense, but I went to find you some sources on the subject of my comment and found quite a few, so I decided to send you the Google link. We all know how large search links are, so in order to put a smaller link I used LMGTFY(sorry). The cave was found in 1909.
lmgtfy.com...

I would agree. This news is old. It was "refreshed" by the article linked in the OP, but there are no new findings concerning the artifacts.

The "fleet" has been analyzed and judging by the damage found caused by shipworms, they'd been at sea for as much as six months.

If you consider by the Egyptians' descriptions of Punt, it was just down the coast of Africa, likely in present-day Somalia, on the Horn of Africa, right at the mouth of the Arabian Gulf.

Harte

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Hey Harte

Thanks for jumping in.
Do you have a link to the information of them only being at sea for 6 months or so?

Any information provided would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
It seemed reasonable to me that if they were capable of building some of the greatest monuments known to man that they surely could have built a sea worthy craft not to mention a trading fleet and set sail off over the horizon.

Assuming they did construct the Giza pyramids

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Man knew how to build ships since Noah's time

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

of course....

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

Hey Harte

Thanks for jumping in.
Do you have a link to the information of them only being at sea for 6 months or so?

Any information provided would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Not only was wood scarce and expensive in Egypt, but on the Red Sea coast it must have been like gold dust. That was why these great caves were dug into the cliff, to protect the precious wood against the elements and against beduin who, from their camps out in the desert, must have viewed all this timber with covetous eyes. A single plank, stolen from the assembly site, could have provided tool handles and tent poles for a whole tribe - but the loss of that same plank could have jeopardised an entire year's trading as men set off across the desert to find a replacement for the ship's keel or hull.

It wasn't only assembly, however. When the ships came back from Punt they could not be left to the tender mercies of wind and weather. Instead they were dragged ashore, taken apart and stored back in the caves where timbers riddled with shipworms could be noted and replaced. (The discovery of wood so affected is evidence that the voyage to Punt must have taken several months, perhaps as many as six.) In addition, as Khufu's boat shows us, the timbers were held together by tightened ropes which were undoubtedly damaged by the working of the ships in the waves of the open ocean and further weakened by exposure to sea air and damp. The ropes too had to be examined and replaced where necessary. Some of the Wadi Gawasis timbers, however, bore traces of being held together with copper straps. These may have been more resistant to water damage than fibre ropes, but they too would be damaged by the working of the ships in rough seas.

Source
That's a Biblical Archaeology site. I don't like using those guys, but it's the first one that came up.

Try including the term "shipworm" in your google search.

If I llooked long enough, I could probably find the original source. Might even be here at ATS already.

Hah, the next hit down from the one I used - from 2006:

Shipworms that had tunneled into the planks indicated that the ships had weathered a voyage of several months, likely to the fabled southern Red Sea trading center of Punt — a place 1,000 miles to the south — which is referenced in hieroglyphs on empty cargo boxes found in the caves, Ward said.

Source
Again, not an "official" source, but better than Biblical.

Here's a paper from "The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology" (2009). Much more thorough, though it's a fairly large PDF file: Link. Also, though it references the shipworm damage, it's not the source for the "six month" statement.

EDIT: What shipworms can do, and quickly:

These creatures are not actually worms, they are mollusks, with a tiny shell attached to one end of a long, worm-like body. The pointed shell is used for burrowing into wood and can drill at about 8 to 12 rasping motions a minute, creating in soft wood a 4 inch tunnel in a month.

Source

Harte
edit on 8/25/2012 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Ancient Egyptian Link with Australia

www.crystalinks.com...

There about 250 stone carvings that have been part of the local folklore of the area for nearly a century with reports of people who sighted them as far back as the early 1900's. The site was secretly visited by families "in the know" in the 1950's and fell back into local mythology for a couple of decades until it was accidentally rediscovered by a man looking for his lost dog.

The carvings are in a rock cleft, a large block of split sandstone on a cliff-face that has created a small chasm or "chamber" of two flat stone walls facing each other that widens out from two to four metres and is covered in by a huge flat rock as a "roof" at the narrow end. The cleft is most cave-like and only accessible by a small rock chute from above or below, well disguised from the average bush-walker.

When you first come up the rock chute and climb into the stone hallway you are immediately confronted by a number of worn carvings that are obviously ancient Egyptian symbols. These are certainly not your average Aboriginal animal carvings, but something clearly alien in the Australian bush setting. At the end of the chamber, protected by the remaining section of stone roof, is a remarkable third-life sized carving of the ancient Egyptian god Anubis, the Judge of the Dead.

This information may help anyone that is interested in this topic.
Hopefully no one has posted it yet.
Its an interesting read. Personally I have never thought too much about it, other than it is/was a hoax.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Very interesting. I wonder what other major secrets Egypt has in store for us. Oh thats right Zahawi has them censored already. What a puppet of the establishment....

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nibiruplanetx

Yeah all one needs to do is watch the History channel program that features him.
"Chasing Mummies".

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Slayer - you are an absolute bloody legend mate - thank you so much. Being a Captain in the Merchant Navy as well as a history buff I have taken the liberty of sending this article and associated material to the Australian Maritime College & to our head office in New Orleans for comment and posting in our international magazine.

This will do down as a major discovery in my industry.

THANK YOU

edit on 26-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
The article guys read like Punt's a mystery and we never knew about Egyptian boat-building.

I enjoyed seeing the image in your OP - that's a new one to me.

Here is a representation of what the ship looks like in more detail

I love how the fish, squid and lobster are depicted in that!

Is that a sale those guys are sitting on? Looks a bit dangerous.
edit on 26-8-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join