It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i really have a problem with...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsyMike91

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Originally posted by DetectiveT
I admit that I’ll read them for a chuckle but my issue isn’t so much as they let it happen than the publicity and defense they get.. I realize that the Gray Area forum is for stories such as those and it is a place where they wont close the thread as a hoax immediately. That in and of itself is fine it is the precedent set by other posters that bothers me. Most of the time when you question or ask for any type of proof you are waylaid by defenders of the thread over your skepticism. Over the years I’ve picked up on ,and I’m sure many of you have as well, many cues that would indicate deception at the very get go. Although, they are not always accurate they serve as a good springboard.

Now you may ask what the harm is or to tell me or anyone else simply not to read the thread. That is fine for us. It is not ok for the many who will still read it and “want “ to believe or may be a bit more gullible. Most if not all of the threads here are basically harmless. Though, I want those who just say they believe to the poster or who condemn those who question them to say that to the 80 year old woman who just lost her savings because she “just “ believed someone’s story. You may say it can’t happen to you but that is where they get you; where you are the weakest. The things you have a soft spot for or want to believe in are where you will get caught. People who have lost a lot would probably give anything to have had a skeptic come along and say this doesn’t make sense. Yet these types of threads encourage ignoring such skepticism so that even if someone came along these people may choose to ignore it based on past experience. I’ve seen such tragedies happen to good people.

I realize that in the realm of spiritual matters and personal experiences there are many times when proof isn’t available. Yet, when the story does not make sense you can tell when someone is just trying to pull the leg of the crowd or to get a reaction. There is nothing wrong with being open minded and giving the person the benefit of the doubt. Just don’t criticize “healthy skepticism”. It can be a valuable learning experience for another reader. If you are going to start a thread defend your point , be open that maybe just maybe your first belief of what happened isn’t the right one otherwise what’s the point besides saying please believe me. I’ve been meaning to do a thread on the subtle cues and tricks used; maybe one day.

edit on 23-8-2012 by DetectiveT because: (no reason given)

you say "a lot would probably give anything to have had a skeptic come along and say this doesn’t make sense. "

I said nothing of the sort fool, and no you haven't said anything about not reading a thread you simply insisted that no one is twisting my arm to read.

So what you are saying is simply don't read it??
How could you say such a thing?

I'll read whatever id like to read, if a topic seems like hooplah i don't normally, but if someone believes that they are a prophet, how could i not?

I have reasons of my own for reading, they may be a bit different than other's, but they're reasons nonetheless. I feel as though you have no reason to come along onto my thread and post your feelings and thoughts...

...Yet here you are!

Also, if i may, this does happen to be a rant forum. If you so happen to not like a thing im saying, complain about it in your head, not to me, because your input is meaningless to me and i will continue to RANT about what i want to.

Yes i can say that, and that is what id like you to do, but by no means is anyone deleting your posts on MY thread pertaining to what you think is ethical, because we all have a right to freedom of speech and while i do somewhat agree to your ideals i do not agree to you being a hypocrite.

Yet i cannot force you to stick by YOUR OWN morals,
Mike

I assume it is me you are calling a FOOL even though you added response to detective T.

I didn't read it.

You called me a Fool...says a lot. I have never and will never call someone names because i don't agree.

Maybe you didn't want responses unless they agree with you. I post my thoughts, I would never tell you not to write your thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

reply to post by Char-Lee

I didn’t say anything about controlling content. If anything I want more content that allows for questioning. I said nothing of ridicule and I thought my healthy skepticism comment would have covered that. Coming into a thread and calling someone a liar or stupid then leaving is pointless . I don’t encourage that but if a person has good reasons and questions the story presented that should be ok and not ignored or suffer from reverse ridicule.

I’ll give examples of what I mean:
Let’s say someone met someone on the street who they whole heartedly believed was an alien because the man had given up a good story. This man now wanted them to give him all the valuables he had on him now and empty his bank account because he could not belong to the alien civilization with it. Now I’m walking down the street and I overhear this conversation and I say to the man wait a second:

This guy isn’t an alien because:
A) His name is Joe. I know his mother and he works as a cook. He’s been in prison for fraud.
B) He told you he was from an alien race but he thought Earth was the 5th planet out from the sun
How could any advanced species come along and not know this.

Someone else steps up-
Stop ridiculing the man. Maybe he really is an alien and maybe they know of planets that exist in other dimensions and that’s why it is fifth from the sun. So what you know his name is Joe and he’s been in prison maybe he’s a walk in…

Do you see my point?

Also, as a side note. There are a lot of seniors who are not as lucky as your parents. There are many who have absolutely nobody which leaves them very vulnerable to predators. If my one piece of skepticism can help someone in the future avoid being scammed then I'll take any amount of ridicule thrown at me for it.

I just don't see it...read your post again. You are saying people will be scammed on ATS, where they choose to read certain content for their own entertainment mostly? An 80 year old going to need our protection from Threads.

If you think the person is a nut, this is not a place we should express that as you said. Not our right to call names or declare liars.
Sure if you feel like giving your point of view we should all feel free that's what online forums are for.(MAIN POINT).... But most start telling everyone there should be no such thread or to leave the thread... and playing parent. Like people are not coming here to read what they want but are helpless and need someones guidance. if this was a kiddie forum, maybe.

Like I said if they have posted bull and people did not read it it would go away. People enjoy it! i have not nor will I read anything where some had declared themselves a prophet or Jesus or anything I think will grow a thread i don't like.

Choosing to add to someones thread is a complement even if you are disagreeing you are growing the thread.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

quite the game player here huh?

I did in fact call YOU a fool, the post was directed toward you and yet i never told you that you could not write on my thread.

In fact, all i added was that i dislike it. Am i one to tell you where you do and do not belong? Im certainly not, and now my thread is off-topic due to your meaningless argument.

You say freedom of speech i say the same exact thing....yet you argue...?
Do you like re-reading your posts for some reason, or does it give you a certain satisfaction that all you're contributing is nonsense?

The conversation had started on the right foot, but you obviously do not see what i was relating your post to. Did the hypocrite offend you?

Don't read my posts then if there is some sort of quarrel between you and yourself, because no one is arguing with you here.
Mike

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I didn’t say anything about controlling content. If anything I want more content that allows for questioning. I said nothing of ridicule and I thought my healthy skepticism comment would have covered that. Coming into a thread and calling someone a liar or stupid then leaving is pointless . I don’t encourage that but if a person has good reasons and questions the story presented that should be ok and not ignored or suffer from reverse ridicule.

Let’s say someone met someone on the street who they whole heartedly believed was an alien because the man had given up a good story. This man now wanted them to give him all the valuables he had on him now and empty his bank account because he could not belong to the alien civilization with it. Now I’m walking down the street and I overhear this conversation and I say to the man wait a second:

A) His name is Joe. I know his mother and he works as a cook. He’s been in prison for fraud.
B) He told you he was from an alien race but he thought Earth was the 5th planet out from the sun

Someone else steps up-
Stop ridiculing the man. Maybe he really is an alien and maybe they know of planets that exist in other dimensions and that’s why it is fifth from the sun. So what you know his name is Joe and he’s been in prison maybe he’s a walk in…

Do you see my point?

Also, as a side note. There are a lot of seniors who are not as lucky as your parents. There are many who have absolutely nobody which leaves them very vulnerable to predators. If my one piece of skepticism can help someone in the future avoid being scammed then I'll take any amount of ridicule thrown at me for it.

I just don't see it...read your post again. You are saying people will be scammed on ATS, where they choose to read certain content for their own entertainment mostly? An 80 year old going to need our protection from Threads.

If you think the person is a nut, this is not a place we should express that as you said. Not our right to call names or declare liars.
Sure if you feel like giving your point of view we should all feel free that's what online forums are for.(MAIN POINT).... But most start telling everyone there should be no such thread or to leave the thread... and playing parent. Like people are not coming here to read what they want but are helpless and need someones guidance. if this was a kiddie forum, maybe.

Like I said if they have posted bull and people did not read it it would go away. People enjoy it! i have not nor will I read anything where some had declared themselves a prophet or Jesus or anything I think will grow a thread i don't like.

Choosing to add to someones thread is a complement even if you are disagreeing you are growing the thread.

Does that not mean you are doing exactly what you are trying to convey here Char-Lee?
Re-read everything that you've just posted here and see if you are making sense to yourself.

Nobody is dictating anything of the manner. I have not once told anyone to leave or that they are a liar nor will i ever because that stands against my moral code.

Your moral code however, is a bit screwy if you think that YOU and only YOU can dictate which threads are worth keeping and which are worth something to only YOU.

Its just a conflict of YOUR own personal interests here isn't it? Or do you not realize that you're catching yourself in your own web??

Gonna gnaw off your own legs too?
Mike
edit on 24-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: typo

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

And if id like to compliment them by disagreeing and then complain about it later....

Whom might you be by telling me that i cannot?

Isn't this exactly what you are preaching here?
Mike

edit on 24-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: ty

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

reply to post by DetectiveT

Have to keep in mind we are talking about Threads on ATS.

whoa dude. No one said anything about controlling content, i meant as though someone could possibly just toss some of the garble in the trash bin and leave it there where it belongs. I do have the right mind about freedom of speech and i believe everyone in this world has got a right to express it.

but once it gets to be way too much, and the facts are obviously against said person in question...

dontcha think that everyone just deserves a break from those posters that claim to have any and all answers to the worlds problems?? Do you honestly enjoy letting someone in that position with these delusions continue to falsely lead a small group of people astray like that?

Please...order your Nike's and grab your cup of jungle juice. You may as well because you're the one of the bunch who feeds it.

Hope ya feel better,
Mike

Your the one messing up here even this first response TO ME was in response to something I was responding to DETECTIVE T not you.
"whoa dude. No one said anything about controlling content," this had nothing to do with you.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Someone else steps up-

Do you see my point?

Does that not mean you are doing exactly what you are trying to convey here Char-Lee?
Re-read everything that you've just posted here and see if you are making sense to yourself.

Nobody is dictating anything of the manner. I have not once told anyone to leave or that they are a liar nor will i ever because that stands against my moral code.

Your moral code however, is a bit screwy if you think that YOU and only YOU can dictate which threads are worth keeping and which are worth something to only YOU.

Its just a conflict of YOUR own personal interests here isn't it? Or do you not realize that you're catching yourself in your own web??

Gonna gnaw off your own legs too?
Mike

Why do you keep responding to what I write to DETECTIVE T?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Anyone should post whatever they want even My Friend Got a Message From a Spirit Meant For Me, page 1
Dream Synchronicity and The Castle On The Water. , page 1

if it is inappropriate or not in the right forum it will be handled by the moderators.

That's all i have said..all i am saying... your anger is misplaced.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

And if id like to compliment them by disagreeing and then complain about it later....

Whom might you be by telling me that i cannot?

Isn't this exactly what you are preaching here?
Mike

edit on 24-8-2012 by PsyMike91 because: ty

NO you said their threads should not be here should be removed or not be allowed in the first place.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Im on the thread and obviously DETECTIVE T is away at the moment.

Im on the thread and responded to your post TO YOU.
Also, i did in fact start the thread....
And im subscribed....if that holds any water.

Maybe you should calm down just a bit, take it easy.
No need to get all worked up over whose talking to who....

Also, you haven't answered anything that was just asked of you...just to add.
Who is speaking to who has nothing to do with it, ive asked you multiple questions and all you have to add to this is "Im not speaking to you atm, i was talking to DETECTIVE T, so C your way out."

damn now we're really off topic,
Mike

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

oh please don't get into that...
This is even further making you look like a fool in the area that you are pulling up my postings in the Gray Area forum.

Is that supposed to be embarrassing?

if it is inappropriate or not in the right forum it will be handled by the moderators. That's all i have said..all i am saying... your anger is misplaced.

Believe me im far from angry, i enjoy a good debate but after about three hours here you are still not getting my point and continuously twisting my words into something you'd like them to be so you have an arguable case.

And you have just said not to go onto the thread if i don't like whats being said....now this...

Firstly, i do apologize for getting the posts mixed up.
but secondly, you still have no argument here.

If a person were to tell you "No!" when you went to eat a cheeseburger because it was partially raw, would you then not cook yours to make sure it weren't, to prove that point?

Mike

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

and please find me where i directly stated that they do not have the right to post what they believe in.

if you do i just wont post to this thread anymore out of respect for my lack of understanding my own words.
Mike

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by PsyMike91

I like a good debate too Mike, but when we sink to name calling which should never happen, it is not a debate any longer, it becomes a sparing match. Plus people begin to think you are very young.

If I were to post a Rant, it would be about Rants that continually pop up saying that people should not start this or that thread. or telling people, whom a person does not even know, that they need to be parented, protected when they have freely joined a website.
Then they add " but I can't help but read it!"

I did not go on your gray area threads and say this garbage should not be on here some people may believe it and it can scare people. Mods should not allow this, it should be removed so people cannot decide for themselves if they believe it or not.

As far as whomever said... Why would a Prophet be on ATS. Why not? Prophets in the old Testament were not even recognized as such until what they said came true, usually after they were dead. They were thought to be crazy at the time,.They sometimes ran around dirty or naked eating bugs. Sounds like they would fit in here.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DetectiveT

Detective T, sorry I have done so much yakking looks like my rant.

I just wanted to say, you are clearly a great person who cares about others. I am thinking though the best way would be to just join a potentially damaging thread, and give your two cents worth. Attack what you believe is wrong with the Threads IDEAS, not the thread being there or the OP. Then keep asking the questions that lead to disclosure of what you believe to be the lie or the problem.

Trust those people out there that you believe may be to nieve to read and learn. Help them to learn by imput not by telling them not to read the thread or the OP not to write the thread.

They chose to be on here they JOINED. they have a right to all the weird stuff they want harm or not, since you clearly will not know these people how can you Shepard them.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

okay completely understood...

Glad we've begun to grow civil toward each other and i am heartily sorry for calling you a "fool".

Be that as it may, either side has a completely subjective feeling toward it, and as i believe in freedom of speech, but do not believe in freedom of misdirection.

You are entitled to your own opinion as well. Hence freedom of systematic beliefs and speech.

Please accept my apology and as i still do believe that it is wrong to claim to be God, you can believe that it is wrong to write a thread that is discriminating toward these actions.

i guess i was very agitated because of my own beliefs counteracting with a few of these.

I still count you as a rival though, do not mix that up with my apology

Mike

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

okay completely understood...

Glad we've begun to grow civil toward each other and i am heartily sorry for calling you a "fool".

Be that as it may, either side has a completely subjective feeling toward it, and as i believe in freedom of speech, but do not believe in freedom of misdirection.

You are entitled to your own opinion as well. Hence freedom of systematic beliefs and speech.

Please accept my apology and as i still do believe that it is wrong to claim to be God, you can believe that it is wrong to write a thread that is discriminating toward these actions.

i guess i was very agitated because of my own beliefs counteracting with a few of these.

I still count you as a rival though, do not mix that up with my apology

Mike

But rivals are not enemies necessarily! I also think it is wrong to claim you are God or any other lies. In fact I think it is wrong to lie. Still guess they have a right to do wrong stuff. hug..

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Oh I dont mind the Gods or the prophets.. or even the demons and aliens and shapeshifters really. What really cranks me up are those who have NO idea what they are talking about and pretend to be someone they arent ( Ahem.. hinting they are someone "famous" as if none of us here actually read...) and really go into a lather when called on it. THEN of course they threaten to tell a mod you disagreed with them.. and you say well go ahead ya dope.. and then the mod gets all into it without reading a thread and then I get my panties in a HUGE knot.

My favorites are the exosexers with babies on the mothership. I havent seen one in several years here.. but boy was that a treat. You know.. earth woman has sex with a reptilian alien and gets pregnant then they come back take the fetus.. then come back later and the daddy liz shows mom the 1/2 liz baby.

Ohhhhh and the one even longer ago who had a fulfilling and intimate relationship with a ghost. I dont think Ill ever get over that one.

So no.. the prophets dont bother me ONE bit. Its all in the ingredients that makes good ol ATS what it is.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join