It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Mars Rover Begins Driving at Bradbury Landing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Great news, Curiosity made its first test drive today!!!!!!

Another few days of testing, and then the work will begin in earnest.

Making its first movement on the Martian surface, Curiosity's drive combined forward, turn and reverse segments. This placed the rover roughly 20 feet (6 meters) from the spot where it landed 16 days ago.

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 22/8/2012 by Hellhound604 because: added pic for the unbelievers

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Good to hear, hope they can begin to do some real work soon. It will be interesting to see what they find.
edit on 8/22/12 by VikingWarlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Unless I'm missing something I didn't see it move

Just NASA celebrating

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mickles

Just NASA celebrating

I added a pic for you of its tracks

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I cant wait to see the things it finds. I hope that its some sort of bugs or fossils. Or perhaps a chinese lantern floating around

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604

Originally posted by Mickles

Just NASA celebrating

I added a pic for you of its tracks

Yes I seen the tracks but...........lets just say this will fuel the fire to the other curiosity thread claiming the rover isn't on mars

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

edit on 22-8-2012 by dainoyfb because: redacted

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

seeing the marks left from the skycrane helps me imagine the rover being lowered to the ground. it would have been cool to see such a thing happen.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

As this rover begins going, look into the horizons of all the photos, along with looking at the near ground. Pan left right zoom in zoom out back in. Look for anything that resembles parallel or straight lines, right angles, any type of geometric pattern, and with shadows follow them back to the base to see what it may be.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
So who is going to tune this bad boy up when it come time for it cheek up?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I look forward to seeing how this science fiction gci/movie storyboard developes.
Amazing just how many people (especially here) are willing suspend
disbelief indefinitely though!

What Suckers We Are.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutonaLimb
I look forward to seeing how this science fiction gci/movie storyboard developes.

What Suckers We Are.

Amazing how many thousands of civilian employes at NASA, contract companies, and deep space tracking stations around the world that "they" are not only managing to keep quiet, but also teaching to be extremely convincing actors.

edit on 23-8-2012 by dainoyfb because: I fixed typos.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb

Originally posted by OutonaLimb

What Suckers We Are.

Amazing how many thousands of civilian employes at NASA, contract companies, and deep space tracking stations around the world that "they" are not only managing to keep quiet, but also teaching to be extremely convincing actors.

edit on 23-8-2012 by dainoyfb because: I fixed typos.

Compartmentalisation.

Also, there is a worldwide club, and you are either a member or you are not.

These actors must have skipped some of those 'convincor' teaching lessons.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

One of those helium balloons we let go outside when we were kids might wind up in a picture.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Slightly offtopic:
Ok, I'm getting tired of this.
There's a reason why there are separate threads for "Space Exploration" and "Ufos/Aliens"...
EVERY thread about Curiosity is filled with comments expressing disbelief, "just because"... Without giving any more evidence that "a gut feeeling" or worst, "It just doesn't feel right"
I mean, come on, one thing is to QUESTION everything another is to DOUBT everything...
Yes, the difference is subtle, but it's there. Ask any philosophy major...
(hint: doubt needs belief)

On topic:
1. When I saw those pics today I literally shouted at work, good thing my coleagues know me well enough not to shoot me down like a rabid dog

The fact that everything is working so well is extraordinary (excepting the wind thingy, though).
I can't wait for the "real" journey to begin. Get on top that MoFo, Curiosity! Show us the goods!
2. I know they already fired the phaser cannons on a nearby rock, does anyone know if they made a spectra of that or they were just testing the laser?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by drakus

OT: I've learnt not to feed the trolls, but back to topic...

The preliminary results have shown that the rock consists out of basalt, which is a volcanic rock.

A preliminarily analysis indicates the spectrum is consistent with basalt, a type of volcanic rock, which is known from previous missions to be abundant on Mars. Coronation is about three inches (7.6 centimeters) across, and located about 5 feet (1.5 meters) from the rover and about nine feet (2.7 meters) from ChemCam on the mast.

You can find more info here, as well as the spectrogram : results

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
You have to find it funny... People dont belive the rover on Mars and they back that up with... Nothing at all... Its a sad day when someone can say anything without fact to back it, a ton of people will jump on the bandwagon then call anyone who does bring facts to the table sheep... Its like the RNC..

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Resurected

I believe the rover is on Mars.
I question if there will be a return on the investment to justify the expenditure though. I guess I've been in business too long, I tend to be too practical.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Resurected

DP removed. I gotta figure how that happens someday.
edit on 24-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

join