It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assumption: The troubles that stir up when one assumes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here's a basic dictionary meaning of the word"

as·sum·ing. verb (used with object) 1. to take for granted or without proof: to assume that everyone wants peace. Synonyms: suppose, presuppose; postulate, posit.

I have found many times when replying or posting different topics on ATS, that many people assume things about me, about what I meant, or about my motivations, when in fact, none of those assumptions were ever true.

I also found that in life, everytime I myself assumed something, it was usually not the case or it got me in trouble. For example I assumed a girl liked me because she was talkative and nice and smiled alot at me, and she ended up engaged. Or another girl I assumed didn't like me, but secretly did want to date me. Or I assumed at work that the one guy who always talked bad about alot of people, was also talking bad about me, but he actually liked working with me, etc etc.

Another interesting thing about the assumptions that go on within science; I will quote a fellow ATS'er "Openlocks":

science is entirely based upon agreed assumptions. Many scientists hate to admit that because they like to jockey around on this notion of pure objectivism, but who are they kidding? No one but themselves. I'll tell you this, in the setting I work in, which is around all sorts of scientists, there is no shortage of dogmatism, confusion and misunderstandings. Many agreed upon assumptions have less to do with empirical data then it does with politics and funding and personalities. Most of the data is entirely up for interpretation anyways. It is crazy at times.

I do feel that assumption is necessary in regards to theories, ideas, possibilities, and so forth all within certain context, but what ends up happening many times is instead of assuming and having that assumption be a mere possibility among many others, many folks entirely take an assumption to be either the only one and or take it to be a truth.

This causes all sorts of problems in all of life and all of it's branches including science, religion, relationships, workplace, etc etc.

So how do I remedy this? I try to stay as neutral as possible. I have views, ideas, theories, and many experiences that I share and post about here on ATS, but as far as everyone else I try to stay neutral and not assume or judge anyone and tat usually is the safest bet.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I saw the problems that assumptions can cause as a child. My dad often assumes negative things about people and it makes others dislike him. So I hardly ever assume anything... which tends to annoy people sometimes because I ask for unnecessary clarification on things, just to make sure. I guess I went too far in the other direction.

A little bit of assuming doesn't hurt. What's important is to find the balance.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Assumptions are the only way to get answers.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

Assumptions are the only way to get answers.

I thought that's what questions were for

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
LOL, I just this second made a rant about the same thing!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

if you didn't assume you wouldn't question

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This was the best advice my father ever gave me. He said when I was young " Son, do you know what assumption is?". I replied "No.". to which he responded "Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups.". And I carry that with me today I may speculate and question but I never assume without proper evidence.
So if I ever had only one thing to say to someone to help them in life, that is what it would be. Never assume anything. Question, speculate, and search but never assume. The information you gather will lead you to the truth. and the truth does not need to assume, because it knows.

-Sumdumguy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sumdumguy

Such an opinion can not exist in brains with extensive powers of reasoning.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

Just as a foot note. No one line replies. The mods will yell at you. Also I do not fully understand what you are saying/what you are calling out. Can you please enlighten me

-Sumdumguy

Edit- Also you do not assume in order to question. You speculate.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Sumdumguy because: Extra response

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Well, the way I see it, we cannot totally do away with all assumption.

It isn't as much a problem if the two people communicating share the same background and culture.
Certain gestures, terms, or ways of saying things provide a "shortcut' for communicating- it is just a matter of both knowing the same meanings.

When I left my country to live in another, I really had this hit me in the face. I became aware how much we do this (all people do this) without even being aware of it.

Online, I have really tried hard to do away with all assumption, and in expressing myself, being very specific, so that others don't need to fill in the blanks with assumption.

What happened was that my posts became so long, so complex, that people had trouble following all that detail- they'd get confused (the exact opposite of what I intended).
They'd end up not even reading carefully, and just filling in the blanks with whatever they expected to read, or whatever they wanted to read.

The only benefit for me was that I had been precise enough the first time that I could copy and paste and refer back to my post to clarify each thin they twisted.
But my posts read like a legal document and many people ended up feeling that I was not a real person.

Now I just try to state when I am making assumptions, and what those are (as much as I can), and be ready for being corrected in case I am wrong.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm assuming you don't like assumptions

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

To comment on your post I would say that the people that are getting confused do not understand all they need to understand in the English language. to shorten a lengthy topic you would use context clues am I correct? So assumption can be eliminated with us who know how to use the English language but would still be used by those who do not. Just adding my little two cents.

-Sumdumguy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

An assumption is a straight forward guess. If someone yelled "rape" you would assume they needed help and go to help them. You should not speculate, question, or guess. Assumption could never be a f*** up or it would be an irrational decision. Reasoning what a blessing...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DeliriumAquarium

You would assume wrong. Its not that I do not like assumption, I just do not like what assumption leads to which is fallacies and arrogance. Most of the assumptions someone will make without information are incorrect but they become attached to their assumptions and will not let them go and no matter what you say you cannot sway them. Some would argue that it is commitment or determination but I view it as arrogance. when you are wrong, you are wrong and you need to accept the fact that you will not always be right but most times people who assume will never admit they are wrong. That is what i do not like.

-Sumdumguy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

I would still not assume they were in trouble. Would i go see what is going on? Yes. but for all I know the woman could be trying to get attention or trying to retaliate against someone she does not like. If you assume shes in trouble and you get there and there is a guy and her you would assume he is guilty and he very well could be but you do not know as you do not have the evidence. So do you understand why you cannot assume something? if the judge and jury assume hes guilty because she yelled rape and he was not guilty that man would be sent to prison for a crime that never happened and the real evil would be back out in society.
Can you see where I am coming from?

-Sumdumguy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

See your over assuming which in turn is being irrational. i assume she needed help i go check it out if she doesn't i leave, if she does good thing i didn't question or speculate. And if the judge and/or jury convicts him of a crime because she yelled rape then that's an irrational decision not an assumption. See reasoning...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

My post had nothing to do with making irrational decisions it had to do with assumptions which led to an irrational decision. My simple point is that if I assume shes in distress and I get there and there is a man there I would automatically assume that he was the perpetrator unless she stated otherwise but if she stated that he was I would assume that he was because I assumed that she was in distress and she "was" so I would also assume that when she said he did it that she was telling the truth one false assumption leads to many false assumptions. Can you not see where I am coming from in not assuming and not liking assumptions at all? I would rather leave my mind open to all scenarios rather than bind myself to one that I have zero actual evidence of.

If you assumed wrong but someone told you that you assumed wrong(and lied) you would believe that you assumed right so all assumptions after that have a very high chance of being false as well but even if they are you will believe they are true. I just find that nothing good comes from assumption.

-Sumdumguy

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Like i said you over assume. You make an assumption to find an answer not to continually assume things that's an irrational decision. Unless you have no real-life experience assumptions are everyday things. If you are walking down a street its late three people who look like trouble are posted on a wall. Will assume their trouble and cross the street or say "let me not assume anything their probably good people" and walk pass.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LordD

No that would no longer be assumption if I see a wanted poster on the wall that is evidence which i have to go on in saying that they are not good people. I am not assuming that they are bad people I am simply looking at the evidence I have that says they are "bad" people and comparing it to the evidence I have against them being a good person. I have not assumed I have started with a hypothesis and with the evidence I have I shall draw the most logical conclusion that I can at the time until other evidence presents its self. If the person in question walks up to me and shakes my hand and I view him as being no threat I will have balancing evidence. Will I go into the dark alley with him? No because i still have reasonable doubt. but i will not assume he is bad. I always draw upon the evidence that is presented to me before making any ruling. For all I know he could have seen something he wasn't supposed to and the Govt. Fabricated a crime to prevent that information from getting out. You cannot assume one thing you have to consider all options that is not over assuming that is being logical and open minded. You don't form a scientific hypothesis and then jump to the conclusion you have to do tests first in order to determine if your hypothesis is correct and until you are sure beyond a reasonable doubt you cannot state the conclusion.

-Sumdumguy

gotta love those walls of text

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You would assume wrong. Its not that I do not like assumption, I just do not like what assumption leads to which is fallacies and arrogance. Most of the assumptions someone will make without information are incorrect but they become attached to their assumptions and will not let them go and no matter what you say you cannot sway them. Some would argue that it is commitment or determination but I view it as arrogance. when you are wrong, you are wrong and you need to accept the fact that you will not always be right but most times people who assume will never admit they are wrong. That is what i do not like.

This!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

exactly my point in a nut shell. You forgot to mention that these folks, who are wrong about their assumptions, but think they are right, then concoct branches and branches of justifications that in their minds, fully support the original premise, not realizing that the original premise itself is wrong.

On another note ......funny you guys mention the woman yelling rape scenario as that just happened across the street where I live the other day, and it was just a bunch teens having a mess, all girls and one boy and they were talking about how women have power and can convince cops of things to get men in trouble even if they didn't do it...... (talk about assumptions)
edit on 22-8-2012 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join