It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The West's hypocrisy over Pussy Riot.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium
They ran into a church and hijacked the service shouting obcenitys ,then refused to leave and had to be physicly removed....

Sorry, but these 3 women are Idiots.........

edit on 22-8-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

Perhaps they're not the smartest but ...

So many things have happened on our little planet simply because a person refused to move or shouted an obscenity when it was not desired:

Civil Rights Movement
Tianamen Square
Ghandi
Rosa Parks

The fact that it isn't the first time they've done it isn't the point. If you felt passionately about something, so passionately that you felt compelled to act in an irresponsible way that endangered your life or well being ... do you think sending you to prison is the correct answer?

That's a dangerous precedent. Members of the civil rights movement were imprisoned due to disrupting 'white-areas'. Hippies have been naked in public as protest multiple times. It is a choice of expression.

So later on we 'decided' as the awesome force of intelligence that we are that some of these people were 'right' and the vast majority of us were wrong. They still went to prison. Some were still shot. Some were still killed. I feel sad when I think about these things.

God forbid someone's protest that they care passionately about takes you out of your Church service for 30 minutes; does that seriously deserve a 2 year prison sentence? How many people are now afraid of similar such protests against Putin?

Read some of this:

Opposition leader Sergei Udaltsov, who was protesting in support of the band, was detained by police,[52] while former world chess champion and a long standing opposition member Garry Kasparov, trying to attend the reading of the verdict, was arrested and beaten.[53][54][55]

Source

Kasparov later had all charges dropped against him. It was bloggers and reporters that provided evidence that contradicted police's versions of events. The police.

I can only imagine the terror in people's hearts that a marauding former chess champion can inspire; thank God for the Russian police and their night sticks.

Side note: protesters have invaded political buildings before where I come from and insulted people. To my knowledge none of those removed from the buildings did two years in prison. I think the Guardian is way out of line on this one.
edit on 9-10-2012 by Pinke because: Side note

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
these clowns only undermined the credibility of Russians to opposition
better gift to Putin is not necessary
edit on 9-10-2012 by leosnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Another piece of hypocrisy is applauding these prostitutes for their courage. Western newspapers praised election protesters for their courage as well. Would you like to know how these folks show their courage in the moment of danger? What do you think they do? They defecate.

One of the leaders of the attempted colored revolution in Russia was Boris Nemtsov. In Yeltsin epoch, he was a Deputy Prime Minister. A very interesting story about him is hidden in the archives of Russian TV. In a debate broadcasted by the main Russian TV channel, the Leader of Liberal-Democratic Party Vladimir Zhirinovsky told the following story. He mentioned personal conversation with Belarus' president Lukashenko as the source. Once Nemtsov came to Belarus to stir up trouble. The police arrested him, put into a car and drove into the woods as if for execution. During this scary ride, Nemtsov had defecated in his pants. After this happened, the police drove him to the airport and deported from country.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Take those who rioted in London last year. Some were given(imo) government sanctioned harsher penalties by the courts. Or the case of the student protester who swung off the Cenotaph in London.

Two different things. The public mood in the UK following the riots and the nature of the offenses warranted tough sentences. The vast majority of people may even have considered the sentences not tough enough - especially that little rich kid who abused the Cenotaph.

Pussy Riot is just a convenient cause which demonstrates the fact that the Russian state and the judiciary are uncomfortably close. Too close for transparency. However, what Pussy Riot did was not innocent and was clearly designed to offend and (yes) get their name in the press!

Regards

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Two different things. The public mood in the UK following the riots and the nature of the offenses warranted tough sentences. The vast majority of people may even have considered the sentences not tough enough - especially that little rich kid who abused the Cenotaph.

But in Russia too many people believe that the sentense is to gentle. Some suggested to burn them at stake.

Originally posted by paraphi
Pussy Riot is just a convenient cause which demonstrates the fact that the Russian state and the judiciary are uncomfortably close. Too close for transparency. However, what Pussy Riot did was not innocent and was clearly designed to offend and (yes) get their name in the press!

What does it have to do with the relationship between State an Judges? Perhaps Church and Judges?

There are plenty of oppositionists who loath Russian State, Russian President, and Russian people on TV, on radio and in newspapers. Nothing happens to them.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by simus
Another piece of hypocrisy is applauding these prostitutes for their courage. Western newspapers praised election protesters for their courage as well. Would you like to know how these folks show their courage in the moment of danger? What do you think they do? They defecate.

I own a rather large number of guns.

Please, feel free to come around my house after drinking a couple of litres of water and I guarantee that in one way or another the contents of your bladder will be on the wrong side of your pants.

Fear + adreneline etc ... often makes humans release their bowels. I don't actually understand how this makes you more or less fit for government, or more or less a bad person. As I've said, people have thrown things at western politicians and had lesser sentences.

I think what you don't understand is that a lot of persons may not endorse exactly how or what Pussy Riot did, but *two years*. That's not hypocrisy that's an over reaction.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke
Fear + adreneline etc ... often makes humans release their bowels.

There is a name for such people. They are called cowards.

I don't actually understand how this makes you more or less fit for government, or more or less a bad person.

You do not understand how a coward is less fit for government than a brave man?

As I've said, people have thrown things at western politicians and had lesser sentences.

They had been sentenced not for offending any politician, but for desecrating a cathedral.

I think what you don't understand is that a lot of persons may not endorse exactly how or what Pussy Riot did, but *two years*. That's not hypocrisy that's an over reaction.

Why two years is too much for hooliganism?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by simus

Fear + adreneline etc ... often makes humans release their bowels.

There is a name for such people. They are called cowards.

It's a natural response.

Throughout history people have wet themselves and then proceeded to go on stage, go into battle, be hung or executed without complain and many other such things. Many people from actors to generals have wet themselves at times.

Unless you're a sci-fi creature such as a klingon, I don't think it should be a predominant method of character judging/deciding between right and wrong.

You do not understand how a coward is less fit for government than a brave man?

I don't comprehend the connection you make between bladder control and being fit to govern. In a stupid 'common sense' way, yes what you're saying makes sense. In reality not so much.

They had been sentenced not for offending any politician, but for desecrating a cathedral.

You believe possible physical harm to a person is below harming property. I can see where you an I differ immediately.

Why two years is too much for hooliganism?

Please read my previous posts. Many noble causes have involved what you would call 'hooliganism'.

From your point of view I can throw a shoe at you, or disrupt parliament but interrupting your church service to make a point is worth 2 years in the gulag? We're not going to see eye to eye on this one I don't think, but thank you for your discourse.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Trespassing, Disturbing the Peace, Vandalism, Destruction of Private Property, Public Indecency.

Prior Records.

Jail Time.

Why is this news? We have the same laws here.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

I gave you a star for the intention, but I think you have posted the cause but the wrong solution...

I do not think that Mind Your Own Business should be used in such a broad stroke. There are very large bad examples regarding ignoring problems. From Slavery, Death penalty, War and many other world problems pear pressure is fundamental. What is wrong is imposing your cultural solutions on others by force, using duplicity or just to advance other goals...

The PR here is about bashing Putin that is in front of a corrupt government. The sad thing is is that those that are now criticizing him were the same that permitted and even managed the situation to reach the state it is today. Maybe it was the most viable solution but looking to how corrupt the world is I doubt it...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

It's a natural response.

For you.

Throughout history people have wet themselves and then proceeded to go on stage, go into battle, be hung or executed without complain and many other such things. Many people from actors to generals have wet themselves at times.

Unless you're a sci-fi creature such as a klingon, I don't think it should be a predominant method of character judging/deciding between right and wrong.

These are anscientific fairy tales designed to make the individuals of certain anthropology to feel better.

I don't comprehend the connection you make between bladder control and being fit to govern. In a stupid 'common sense' way, yes what you're saying makes sense. In reality not so much.

Common sense is not stupid and is rooted in reality.

You believe possible physical harm to a person is below harming property. I can see where you an I differ immediately.

It is not about harming property but about profanation of mystical values.

edit on 10-10-2012 by simus because: formatting

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm going to ignore the insults.

These are anscientific fairy tales designed to make the individuals of certain anthropology to feel better.

Good to know they rewrote history to make my bladder feel better?

Sorry, I'm not normally this sarcastic but that's the dumbest conspiracy theory I've ever read. Period.

Common sense is not stupid and is rooted in reality.

And the world is flat and the wind is God breathing.

Some common sense is absolutely stupid.

It is not about harming property but about profanation of mystical values.

I'm sorry, mystical values do not trump any other type of values. In fact, I'd still put them behind old fashioned values generated without the help of an invisible buddy.

Nice talking to you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join