It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The West's hypocrisy over Pussy Riot.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Just read an interesting article that I have to agree with. It is about the West's hypocrisy over the Pussy Riot case in Russia.

We are very quick to point the finger at Russia and question how it's justice system has been influenced by Putin. But, are we any better? Take those who rioted in London last year. Some were given(imo) government sanctioned harsher penalties by the courts. Or the case of the student protester who swung off the Cenotaph in London. I'm not defending their actions, but they were punished with harsher sentences, because of the sensationalism of their crime rather than the severity.

The same sentiment a year ago motivated magistrates to play to the gallery by jailing 1,292 people for stealing bottles of water or trainers or sending idiot incitements during the dispersed rampage dubbed "urban riots". Hysterical ministers raced home from holiday to tell judges to send messages. Judges duly ruined the lives of hundreds of young people, at great public expense and to no advantage to their victims. I have no sympathy for these people either, but again the politicised response to crime was disproportionate.

A month before, a London court jailed a stoned Charlie Gilmour after he swung on a union flag from the Cenotaph and tossed a bin at a police car, thus causing widespread outrage in the offices of the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail. The judge sent him down for 18 months to send a message carefully designed to wreck his university career. Yet again we need have no sympathy for Gilmour. But there is no such thing as a rap over the knuckles in jail. Judges know that any term in prison is a sentence for life.

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 22-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Couldn't agree more. When I saw CNN reporting this, all I could think was wouldn't it be nice if they'd report on the dudes arrested on terrorism charges at this year's G8 summit in Chicago for merely plotting to make molotov cocktails?? Complete hypocrisy.

Nato Protesters Arrested in Chicago, Held on Terrorism Conspiracy Charges

I wonder what's become of those young men..

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

If i put on a balaclava and ran into Westminister Abbey, I wouldn't get 2 years, I'D GET SHOT!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Just want to point out that the band did not steal anything, did not throw trash bins at police officers,did not destroy anything, did not damage any property, did not plot to make Molotov thing and did not harm anyone physically.
They sang in Church against Putin, without permission.
24 months of labour camps. Half a year in jail during trial.
Hypocricy? Yes, OP - this thread is full of it.
edit on 22-8-2012 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I also noticed that,even thought about the same case or the guy who nicked a bottle of water.The soldiers that died fighting for our alleged freedoms must be turning in their graves,not at Gilmour our but at our hurt feelings laws.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
still ..... i think it`s a little strange how most media outlets around the world are saying the words PUSSY RIOT all day long.

Doesnt it seem "odd" to anyone else ?

Sky news also spoke to a man named Dick who invented a "flop" when they first started reporting PUSSY RIOT.

Thier music sounds crap anyway , that`s why they locked em up

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Just want to point out that the band did not steal anything, did not throw trash bins at police officers,did not destroy anything, did not damage any property, did not plot to make Molotov thing and did not harm anyone physically.

They ran into a church and hijacked the service shouting obcenitys ,then refused to leave and had to be physicly removed.... You also have to remember all 3 women have prior convictions for petty crime and public order.One of them has a prior conviction for ....get this.... commiting a lewd act in a supermarket with a raw chicken....She apparently tried to insert part of a raw chicken into her vagina while standing naked in a busy supermarket.
If she had of tried that in Britain she would have been sectioned under the mental health act.

Sorry, but these 3 women are Idiots.........

edit on 22-8-2012 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceCadet69
still ..... i think it`s a little strange how most media outlets around the world are saying the words PUSSY RIOT all day long.

Doesnt it seem "odd" to anyone else ?

Sky news also spoke to a man named Dick who invented a "flop" when they first started reporting PUSSY RIOT.

Thier music sounds crap anyway , that`s why they locked em up

LOL agreed their music is crap!

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
You seriously cannot compare Pussy Riot to the london riots. A punk band singing anti-putin songs is hardly on par with people running rampant looting businesses, and starting fires, because they thought they could get away with it.

Yes the government are hypocrites, but in this instance I agree that the rioters got harsher sentences.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

More disturbing is the reason for the hypocrisy. Certain "views" on ATS can only be maintained if :

A. The west is evil run by liars and the media always lies.
B. Russia, China, Middle Eastern dictatorships are all very nice places led by people who are misunderstood good guys.

So they have twist things to ensure the above holds true "in their minds".

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
The laws and punishment of one country can not be compared to another as the culture of the country is what determins the laws.

The sooner people focus on reform in their own neighborhood instead of critiqueing foreign culture, the sooner local harmony will be achieved.

You can not compare apples to oranges.

Go and give your neighbor a kiss.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Non event in the west if it wasn't for the word PUSSY. Can't wait till schools open and all the morning news kids want to report on the PUSSY RIOT girls

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
One explanation could be the backing of NED, George Soros, and possibly CIA. The "band" and the FEMEN demonstrators are funded by US groups engaged in attempts to destablize Russia. Putin is not popular with the "powers that be"- they want to discredit, and even overthrow him.

Propaganda.

Here are two links for it, and there are many, many others:

www.economicpolicyjournal.com...

12160.info...

Makes you think a bit, doesn't it ?

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Have you read the singers closing statement? Maybe you should.

They are hugely naive, but I DEF don't think they are anti-religious.

Read this:

The fact that Christ the Savior Cathedral had become a significant symbol in the political strategy of our powers that be was already clear to many thinking people when Vladimir Putin’s former [KGB] colleague Kirill Gundyaev took over as head of the Russian Orthodox Church. After this happened, Christ the Savior Cathedral began to be used openly as a flashy setting for the politics of the security services, which are the main source of power [in Russia].

Why did Putin feel the need to exploit the Orthodox religion and its aesthetics? After all, he could have employed his own, far more secular tools of power—for example, national corporations, or his menacing police system, or his own obedient judiciary system. It may be that the tough, failed policies of Putin’s government, the incident with the submarine Kursk, the bombings of civilians in broad daylight, and other unpleasant moments in his political career forced him to ponder the fact that it was high time to resign; otherwise, the citizens of Russia would help him do this. Apparently, it was then that he felt the need for more convincing, transcendental guarantees of his long tenure at the helm. It was here that the need arose to make use of the aesthetics of the Orthodox religion, historically associated with the heyday of Imperial Russia, where power came not from earthly manifestations such as democratic elections and civil society, but from God Himself.

It was also fairly logical that the Russian Orthodox Church, given its long mystical ties to power, emerged as the project’s principal exponent in the media. It was decided that, unlike in the Soviet era, when the church opposed, above all, the brutality of the authorities towards history itself, the Russian Orthodox Church should now confront all pernicious manifestations of contemporary mass culture with its concept of diversity and tolerance.

Implementing this thoroughly interesting political project has required considerable quantities of professional lighting and video equipment, air time on national TV channels for hours-long live broadcasts, and numerous background shoots for morally and ethically edifying news stories, where the Patriarch’s well-constructed speeches would in fact be presented, thus helping the faithful make the correct political choice during the difficult time for Putin preceding the election. Moreover, the filming must be continuous; the necessary images must be burned into the memory and constantly updated; they must create the impression of something natural, constant and compulsory.

chtodelat.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Yes, the west is hypocritical, everyone looking into this issue seriously must conclude the same. Stupid laws against "hurt feelings" are unfortunately common in the west. Its the same thing, really.

As much as I support the Pussy Riot outrage, because the sentence is too harsh, I have to admit we are no better.

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

If i put on a balaclava and ran into Westminister Abbey, I wouldn't get 2 years, I'D GET SHOT!

great idea!

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I Love pussy riot.

their records will really start selling now, IMO.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Russophobia is the diagnosis

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This Pussy Riot thing was a continuation of "electoral fraud" protests. Interestingly, if you apply the same mathematical methods used to "prove" a large-scale fraud in Russian elections you can prove that 9 million votes were stolen in British elections: Fingerprints of Fraud.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
they had not acted in a mosque or a synagogue in Moscow that they showed that the attack and despise namely Russians, so most of the Russians think about them now, these idiots have helped Putin to strengthen the power only

top topics

<<   2 >>

join