It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 UFO sighting in less than a week! - Hertfordshire (UK)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I sighted my first UFO about 5 years ago, and have been 'looking up' ever since, however up until a week ago, that was my one and only sighting.

In the last week, (3 occasions) I have seen a bright white light, flying in the skies above my house.

I noticed it first looking at the stars, whilst having a smoke in my garden with my cousin, who also witnessed the whole thing. It initially looked identical to a star both in its size, and brightness. It was only once I realised it was ever so slowly moving that I started to freak out a bit. The object proceeded to slowly move across the sky over my house, from right to left, before eventually fading into the distance. It was making absolutely no noise which at the time was the freakiest part of all as it was a particularly quiet night. It took it approximately 5 full minutes to go out of view.

Whilst me and my cousin were still in awe and trying to think of a logical explanation, the light returned. This time it appeared from the far left, near where we lost sight initally, but this time the light was a bit brighter, although didn't appear to be any lower. It once again cruised slowly overhead but the strangest thing occurred whilst it was almost above us on this second pass, it looked like it 'pulsed' and then the light got MUCH MUCH brighter, at this point it was not far off the size you would expect to see the moon in the sky, compared to the star size it was before. It was still dead silent and very slowly moving overhead, then the bright light dimmed to its smaller size, then brightened once more before fading out of view to our right (Although this time it was a very sudden fade out, so I assume it dimmed its glow again)

I was very freaked out and super excited by this sighting, and over the next week I would watch the sky for 30 minutes every 90 minutes or so (as often as I go into the garden to smoke). In doing so I have seen the same mysterious visitor twice more.

The second time I was alone, but the object seemed to be even higher this time and did not change its brightness at any time. It did 3 runs across the sky this time, before I gave up watching and went to bed.

The third time was the best for me, because I had 2 non-believers with me (my sister and my girlfriend of 2 years) who also witnessed it. My sister was so freaked out she spend the next 3 hours sat in the garden looking for it, despite it being 1am or so!

We was sat around the table in the garden, discussing the sightings I had from the past few days. I was getting some serious stick about having too much imagination, being high, etc etc... the usual.
It was mid discussion that I caught a bright light in my peripheral vision, far off to the right, above my sisters head (she was facing me). I made a comment along the lines of 'that was bright', and as I looked up to where I saw it there was nothing to be seen. At this point my sister and GF was both looking in the direction I was, and just like that my glowy friend was back, brighter than ever.

Boy did it feel good to prove them both wrong for doubting me!

The object was much similar to the first sighting, although this time was almost continually pulsing from bright to dim and back. Also it seemed much lower than all other occasions, so much so that I noticed something I didn't on the other occasions. (Well the GF pointed it out first)

'WTF it just turned over?!?!'
That is pretty much how she put it. It appeared that this craft that originally had one large glowing white light, had turned upside down and now had 3 smaller white lights in a very tight triangle formation.
Due to the slight 'halo' type glow from the 3 lights and the fact its was pitch black outside, and they was very close together (presumably due to the hight of the craft?) it would have been very easy to mistake the trio of lights for one solid light, I have 20/20 vision and I had to strain to see it initially.
Whilst I was trying to focus on the 3 lights she had explained, I saw it turn over, just like my GF said, and it once again was a larger, solid white glow. Watching the transition from 3 lights to 1, (and later, vice-versa) made it very blatant to see the difference between the two states.

Despite frequenting these forums and always hating when people make UFO claims without getitng any evidence, I failed to get any myself! What a hypocrite! It was just so overwhelming and awe inspiring that I didn't want to take my eyes off this thing for a second!

I have an iPhone 4s as my one and only camera. For some reason, I feel pretty confident I will see this thing again, and I am willing to try film this thing for you guys. I'm not sure my phone camera will show much due to it only being visible at night, but I will certainly try next time.

On that note, any photo app that would be particularly good for filming something like this at night-time, from my iPhone 4s? I don't mind paying.

Please if anybody has any insight, thoughts, questions etc, please share!

Look up folks.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
just a request,

could you refrain from "left .. Right"

please use bearings, or cardinal directions.

thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tachalka

I recommend downloading Stellarium onto your computer: Stellarium

Just out of humor, set your location, and set the time for when you saw this 'object'.
After doing so, see if Venus or Jupiter shows up in the places you noticed this 'object'.

Further, if you tell us the time you saw this 'object', plus using the directions of North, South, East, and West, these details can help.

Something else to consider is that Satellites passing overhead can be quite bright, and they will indeed flare as well as looking closer than you might expect plus being silent since they're actually in orbit.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

From the OP's description, that was definitely not a planet. Satellite? Possibly.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

I appologise, have only recently moved to my current address so didn't know the directions, I have just checked on my iPhone compass:

Right = North
Left = South

Upon checking this I can confirm in all the sightings over the 3 nights it was travelling almost exactly North to South or South to North, following nearly the same line each time, though not quite. Would this match a satellites behaviour? I know nothing about them and never thought for a second this could be one, with the apparant changing of height, but like I say I know nothing of satellites :S

Also I am in a town called Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire if that helps?

Thanks for the responses so far!

Peace

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

From the OP's description, that was definitely not a planet. Satellite? Possibly.

OP only described very slow movement. Anyone that sees Venus, and sits very still, just like with the moon, can see it move, just as all celestial objects appear to do.
This effect is further exaggerated when someone notices a bright light, goes inside for a while, then comes out later to notice it has moved across the sky.
Venus and Jupiter are probably the most reported on UFOs of all time.
It doesn't hurt to cover that base to get confirmation from the OP first before jumping to conclusion that these can be arbitrarily ruled out out-of-hand without going by the numbers.

To the OP:
When you say this 'object' moved, how fast would you say it moved?
For instance; if you held your hand out at arm's distance so when this 'object' moved it would be blocked by your hand, how long do you think it would take for this 'object' to appear from the other side of your hand?
1 second? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 1 Minute? 5 minutes?

Giving us rates of speed estimation like that can give us a better idea what you mean when you say the 'object' was moving, and how fast, or slow it was moving.

Further, what times of the evening or early morning were you seeing this 'object'?

Lastly, download an astronomy app for your phone. Astronomy apps
Many of them will allow you to aim your phone at any light in the sky, and your phone will tell you if you are pointing at a planet, a star, and with some of the more sophisticated apps, I think, even satellites.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

It was far too fast to be a planet I would imagine, in the OP I say it took 5 mins to cross the whole sky above my house basically. Approx 5 or 10 seconds to pass behind an upheld hand (whilst directly above) I would guess.

Plus it came back and forth at various heights/brightness, sometimes pulsing really bright, and even appearing to 'flip' over at times to show 3 lights in a neat triangle.

Also as I say I watch the sky A LOT and I have never seen anything like this. I am the first to come to logical conclusions normally, but Something about the behaviour and intensity of the light just didn't seem right. It kinda creeped me out, and my cousin, girlfriend and sister too :S

Thanks for the replies, will be out looking again tonight!
edit on 23/8/2012 by Tachalka because: Typo

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tachalka

Hello. Going off your description, the regularity suggests satellites and we have them orbiting north-south. Does any of this help?

It did 3 runs across the sky this time, before I gave up watching and went to bed.

By '3 runs' do you mean 3 passes across the sky? In straight lines? If so, it still sounds like satellites.

If it changed direction, you saw something that couldn't be a satellite.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
For the last few nights I have been watching the ISS come over my house. I downloaded an app that tells you what time it will come over your position. It's very bright and at sometimes looks like its moving very fast. If you didn't know what it was you could mistake it for a UFO. The fact you said you saw your ufo 3 times in one night would suggest it's not the ISS, maybe a satellite? As others have posted there are plenty of apps and websites that are great for identifying what's in the sky, good if you want to use a process of elimination.

top topics

join