It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My super awesome Orange Broadband experience

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Orange has to be one of the most god awful companies on this awesome little planet.

I ordered a 20Mbit/s connection off them 3 months ago and so far all I get is 1-2mbit/s so roughly 10% of what I was quoted on the phone. I spent the standard 10 days waiting for the speed to go up as they always say it takes a while for the connection to settle in and become stable. I can deal with that no problem. I completely understand that every single is different and can't handle the same speeds.

However, after 3 months I'm still having the same issue. Next step was obviously to call the Tech Support guys. So far I've spent over 20 hours(no joke) on the phone over the past few weeks. Obviously they started diagnosing right from the start. They asked me to reset the router, change the filters, change the cables, try a different router, ask me about what else is hooked up to the phone line (nothing except router) and to check my computers for viruses. I have 3 machines running, all virus free.

Once I was told that there was a problem with my local exchange, that someone was there RIGHT NOW to fix it. My exchange is only down the road from me. Happy coincidence right? No. A blatant LIE to get me off the phone. I know where the exchange is and I didn't see ANYONE there. Needless to say the problem persisted.

Every SINGLE time I call they make me go through the standard scripted diagnostic questions, they MUST see how many times they've made me go through this. When I insist that it's a problem with the socket or the line to the exchange they brush it off and tell me to wait 72 hours.

In total I was promised 6 call backs, 1 of which actually happened. Today I waited for 7 (!) hours on the sofa waiting for the Engineer who was supposed to show between 8am-1pm. Needless to say he didn't turn up. I was on the phone straight away demanding an answer as to why I just lost a days wage for nothing. They said each engineer receives a little note for each customer, briefly describing the problem including contact details. They told me my note was too long and didn't make it through the system.

A major international communication company that fails at communicating internally. OH THE BLEEDING IRONY! Didn't even get an apology.

Another thing that completely fobs me off is that bout 2 of those at LEAST 30 people I spoke to could actually handle the English language somewhat. Now I know how hard it is to learn a second language, I was forced to learn English and Spanish along with my first language which is swiss-german and german. It's just so DAMN hard to understand someone with a thick indian accent over a damn phone. It just makes me want to explode.

I could go on and on about how god damn much I hate this company and everyone involved in it. No one has been helpful so far. I've been lied to, cut off, put on hold for 20 minutes THEN cut off, also got cut off for trying to explain the difference between MegaBYTE and MegaBIT, a concept they have clearly never heard of before. Mind you I sound agitated now but on the phone I'm always respectful, calm (as hard as it is, sometimes the occasional long sigh) but I never swear or insult them, I know that's no way to treat people and get's me nowhere in the end.

I can't even think a straight sentence without shaking a bit with anger. Trying to sort this out over a phone is so damn frustrating, I wish there was a shop counter I could bang my fist on so someone actually listens.

Something clearly needs to happen with customer service in this country. This is by FAR the worst case I've encountered, unfortunately not the only one though.

Customer service is dead. As long as You give them money they are happy and don't give 3 rat droppings about your product satisfaction.

Wow that felt good.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

get a usb wifi adaptor
and search YT for wifi

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
That would be futile, I barely get mobile phone signal in my house! Orange mobile too, coincidence?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Orange have just entered the broadband market expanding out of their traditional market of mobile phones by buying Wanadoo. So far their offering has been very impressive indeed. They have managed to bring their highly impressive customer service in the mobile world over the broadband and our experiences so far have been very good. They either offer free broadband with a mobile contract or a paid for option starting at £14.99. On their starter pack priced at £14.99, the first three months are half price. They also offer a 30 day money back guarantee and a monthly download limit of 2 GB which 90% of the UK public use less than. Orange also offer two larger packages, their broadband plus package priced at £19.99 a month has unlimited downloads and includes all calls to UK landlines starting with 01 or 02 and their livebox modem which allows for wireless connection and cheap international calls over the internet. *Speeds in excess of 2 meg are only available in certain areas. Top speeds vary significantly, particularly according to how far away you live from the exchange. If your line won't support our fastest broadband speed we'll give you the best available. The speed you actually get can also vary depending on the quality of your line, the wiring in your house, the time of day and even the weather.

seems they work when they want to but when you need it it isnt there for you....sux2bu

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Better the devil you know...

I have Orange internet here in France and although I've had problems, they are in direct control with the telephone side of the system (France Telecom).

Speeds are NEVER what is quoted and they are theoretical maximums only.

Have you been using "DSL Test"? It's what Orange clients use for testing connections.

Hang in there and keep at them, also, when you ring them again, get the name of the person you speak to and ask for them if you call back. It's a good way to get a more personal service as they then feel they must actually DO something so you don't bug the individual in future.

Where are you located btw? Have you spoken to other Orange users in your area to see what speeds they are getting?

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
You should show your displeasure with your feet and your money IMO. No way would I have stayed and continued to pay after what they have put you through. :shk:

If there is another company you can go to, that is what I would do. Even if it is a few dollars more a month, that is worth it to dump their sorry arses and save yourself some stress.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
If there is another company you can go to, that is what I would do. Even if it is a few dollars more a month, that is worth it to dump their sorry arses and save yourself some stress.

DON'T DO IT!

Orange are direct partners with the main telecoms company, if you go with another company they use the same infrastructure. If you have a problem in the future it can be SO MUCH harder to get repairs and service. Non partnership internet companies often refuse to even admit technical problems because THEY must pay British/France telecom for the repair contract.

I found out the hard way when I changed from Orange to SFR. SFR gave the worst service I have ever experienced.

Better the devil you know.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I use speedtester.bt.com... which is was Orange told me to use, since their internet runs on the BT network mostly anyway. It's always been accurate so far.

I know the advertised speeds are theoretical maximums and that you don't always get what is quoted on the phone. However quoting 18.5mbits on signup and receiving 1-3mbits is a massive difference.

I don't know any other Orange broadband customers in my area, however, I've moved house 3 times in the town in the last 5 years and I've always been at the same exchange. Sky provided me with excellent internet service, always stable and fast. All 3 houses used the same exchange, so that can't be to blame.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It's not solely my choice, my housemate has a few words to say about it too. If it were solely up to me I wouldn't have gone to Orange to begin with

However Orange was my choice since they don't seem to be traffic shapers (or not as drastic as others at least) which is a MUST for me, even just out of principle, REAL unlimited internet and doesn't try to restrict your access in any way, except a few high court rulings on piratebay etc.

top topics

join