It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Any Aussie Members Here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hi mods...I hope this is within T&C, if not I apologize greatly and understand if you need to close this thread.

I am doing a project here (I live in the US) and I would like to have some authentic Australian currency to make it happen. I am working on a collage to display in my home. If anyone is willing to trade out (a dollar for a dollar so to speak) or has any idea how else I may be able to get my hands on some I would really appreciate the help. I am looking for coins mostly, but need some paper bills as well.

If anyone is interested in helping me out, please let me know.

*Again my apologies to the mods if this is not allowed. I don't participate in any other forum so this is pretty much my only option.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Not an Aussie, but I have exchanged currencies at my local bank. I believe if you request it they will get you whatever currency it is you are looking for.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Not an Aussie, but I have exchanged currencies at my local bank. I believe if you request it they will get you whatever currency it is you are looking for.

It can also be done at an "international" airport. I'm not sure if that's feasible based on where you live in proximity to one, but you can do currency exchange at all international airports as well.

I hope you finish your project. It sounds cool!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

That would be awesome!!! I just ASSumed they didn't go around handing out international money. See what happens when you ASSume?
I will definitely look into it to see if it is possible.
Thanks for the idea SpaDe.

I am still willing to trade out though if someone comes along and wants some worthless American money from a marsupial on ATS.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

It can also be done at an "international" airport. I'm not sure if that's feasible based on where you live in proximity to one, but you can do currency exchange at all international airports as well.

I hope you finish your project. It sounds cool!

This is why I love you guys here!
Thanks for your answer as well. I live hours away from a big airport but it would be worth the drive if they can do it! I guess this thread just goes to show you how well traveled I am.

BTW.... I love your avi!

edit on 8/21/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Most major banks will have some currency exchange bills around that they can give you.

Airports were also a great idea given out by another member.

Good luck with your project

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

We got rid of paper bills 20 odd years ago.... But if you have never seen aussie currency, your in for a treat.. Nice looking munza

edit on 21-8-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Most major banks will have some currency exchange bills around that they can give you.

Airports were also a great idea given out by another member.

Good luck with your project

Thanks Tenth. I can't believe that didn't even cross my mind. I can only guess it's because nobody I know...including myself has ever traveled out of the country creating a necessity to make an exchange. I need to put it on my bucket list.

Originally posted by DarknStormy

We got rid of paper bills 20 odd years ago.... But if you have never seen aussie currency, your in for a treat.. Nice looking munza

edit on 21-8-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

I wasn't aware of that.
I called it "paper bills" because I wasn't sure what you all called them over there.
I guess since you don't have them, then I don't need to call them anything.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Plastic Bills, we got upper class money here
Might actually be recyclable and worth something also

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would just use a $1 dollar bill and paste Steve Irwins photo over George and add an extra zero or two to it.

I was gonna also suggest a bank but it seems others beat me to teh punch.
Airport was an awesome idea that I would have never thought of.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Plastic Bills, we got upper class money here
Might actually be recyclable and worth something also

Man! Y'all did move on up didn't you?
I guess it comes in handy when you forget and leave your money in your pants then wash them.
I am forever doing that myself.

Originally posted by g146541
I would just use a $1 dollar bill and paste Steve Irwins photo over George and add an extra zero or two to it.

I was gonna also suggest a bank but it seems others beat me to teh punch.
Airport was an awesome idea that I would have never thought of.

That'd be a beaut, wouldn't it? (said in my best Steve Irwin accent)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Your airport should have currency exchange.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I never noticed until I actually needed one but most cities or even Malls have a currency exchange shop or counter in them.

If you live in a town you may have trouble but I assume any capital city would have them everywhere.

But...... Id be happy to send you over one of each Aussie coin we have the $2, $1, 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c coins.

PM me an address and Ill shoot em over.

If your interested I can also send you Malaysian, Thai and Singaporean coins. Let me know if your interested

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Your airport should have currency exchange.

I always feel a bit less educated when I ask something like that here.
I live in a tiny, tiny, town and have rarely left the state...so I guess that is my issue. When you all came up with these ideas I did a massive face palm.
Like why didn't I think of that?

One day I might actually get to see something or go somewhere that I need to exchange currency for real.
Thanks Nixie!

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
I never noticed until I actually needed one but most cities or even Malls have a currency exchange shop or counter in them.

If you live in a town you may have trouble but I assume any capital city would have them everywhere.

But...... Id be happy to send you over one of each Aussie coin we have the $2, $1, 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c coins.

PM me an address and Ill shoot em over.

If your interested I can also send you Malaysian, Thai and Singaporean coins. Let me know if your interested

Thank you!!
I sent you a PM. Maybe I can send you something American (read made in China) in exchange.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

There are also some non-standard 20c coins and $1 they also release each year for different events and usually have "the year of" on them with some cool artwork. The 2001 centennial had 20c and 50c for each state and territory also, and let's not forget the awesome copper 2c and 1c coin. I have both and may have a few spares of the non-standard coins, although I'd have to upend a few boxes to find them...

There's also the round 50c piece bought out before the hexagonal one we have today if you're interested also, it depends on how in depth your project is. As for the notes, a money exchange at an airport would be best, it would be a little tricky to send the equivalent of close to $185 of notes across the world, sadly we aren't that rich here...
But you should be able to exchange them over and it should almost be dollar for dollar right now.

You do know our money is every colour from green to pink though right?

edit on 22-8-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

There are also some non-standard 20c coins and $1 they also release each year for different events and usually have "the year of" on them with some cool artwork. The 2001 centennial had 20c and 50c for each state and territory also, and let's not forget the awesome copper 2c and 1c coin. I have both and may have a few spares of the non-standard coins, although I'd have to upend a few boxes to find them...

There's also the round 50c piece bought out before the hexagonal one we have today if you're interested also, it depends on how in depth your project is. As for the notes, a money exchange at an airport would be best, it would be a little tricky to send the equivalent of close to $185 of notes across the world, sadly we aren't that rich here...
But you should be able to exchange them over and it should almost be dollar for dollar right now.

You do know our money is every colour from green to pink though right?

edit on 22-8-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

I believe everyone's money is prettier than ours from what I have seen. We obviously don't like to have fun.

I'm not that rich here either!
Nowhere near well off enough to spend $185.00 on foreign bills to put under glass... I fear I would end up breaking it to get them back out somewhere around Christmas time!!

You don't have to up end everything to find them but if you do run across them one day let me know and I will take them off your hands (if they aren't $185.00 too).

Thanks Templar! You guys are great!

edit on 8/22/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I'll keep my eyes open for them, but even six months after the move about half my stuff is still packed up. I think my mother may have a few spares but gotta wait to go back home in about three weeks to ask, so I'll see what I can come up with then. If I come across them I'll PM you and see if I can't send them over to you.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

I'll keep my eyes open for them, but even six months after the move about half my stuff is still packed up. I think my mother may have a few spares but gotta wait to go back home in about three weeks to ask, so I'll see what I can come up with then. If I come across them I'll PM you and see if I can't send them over to you.

Reason #8,617 why I hate moving!
Thanks for the offer Templar! That in itself means a lot to me whether you ever find them or not.

top topics

join