It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Romney/Ryan's Medicare Plan Is So Great, Why Not Give It To Seniors Right Now???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So, medicare is becoming a central issue of the election this year due to Paul Ryan being picked as Romney's VP. Paul Ryan's plan to "reform" medicare is to move it to a voucher system. They claim this is a better system overall and will cut costs and provide better coverage to Seniors.

Now one of the main points Romney and Paul are trying to get across is that people over 55 won't be affected by this "reform".

I have one simple question....why not??? If thier reform is so great...why wouldn't they want to give it to current Seniors??? Why make it a main point of your argument that current Seniors don't get to particpate in their reformed planned??? Isn't this an admission by Romney/Paul that their reformed system will be bad for Seniors???
edit on 20-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Because it hasn't been voted on?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Do you Americans ever wish you had the NHS?

I've never asked that before..

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Or it is a understanding that people dislike change. Taking current seniors and having them learn the in's and out's of a new policy would be a major problem. Not to mention that the change wouldn't occur overnight, takes time to implement ya know? Nothing is currently in place for a transition for the current seniors to be able to make that change, easier to change before people get it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider

It doesn't have to be voted on to be part of their proposal.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Is your title deliberately misleading? It is not Romney/Paul it is Romney/Ryan. Fix it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Yeah but by the time these things take place the current seniors will most likely be gone. All that red tape ya know.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Some of us do.

Some think it is evil.

I wish we had a single payer system, it only makes sense...healthcare shouldn't be a privledge.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Or it is a understanding that people dislike change. Taking current seniors and having them learn the in's and out's of a new policy would be a major problem. Not to mention that the change wouldn't occur overnight, takes time to implement ya know? Nothing is currently in place for a transition for the current seniors to be able to make that change, easier to change before people get it.

I would buy that if their argument was that Seniors will want to change because it is a much better system, but they aren't going to force anyone.

But that isn't their argument...they are specifically telling Seniors to not worry, that they won't touch their medicare.

So why would Seniors care if they touched thier medicare if what they would replace it with is going to be so much better???

If this is truly their logic, then they aren't presenting their argument very well.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

How would you like it OutKast? Keep on going down this road to Insolvency so no one gets anything 11 years from now. Or try and make changes so the younger generation can get a piece of the action when they retire?

The way Obama has it, he’s anti youth, anti children and grandchildren. The only solution he has was to gut Medicare by 500 billion dollars and keep it on its course of insolvency. Maybe that’s why the youth vote is rebelling. They know Obamas plan screws them out of everything.

I dont see any Democrat coming up with ideas. All the left has is attacks and scare tactics.
edit on 20-8-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

How would you like it OutKast? Keep on going down this road to Insolvency so no one gets anything 11 years from now. Or try and make changes so the younger generation can get a piece of the action when they retire?

The way Obama has it, he’s anti youth, anti children and grandchildren. The only solution he has was to gut Medicare by 500 billion dollars and keep it on its course of insolvency. Maybe that’s why the youth vote is rebelling. They know Obamas plan screws them out of everything.

I dont see any Democrat coming up with ideas. All the left has is attacks and scare tactics.

He has no plan to gut medicare. He plans to cut back on the overcharging by the hospitals and big pharma and their outrageous costs. Ryan tried running his plan once before but it failed and the new plan he and Mittens came up with in the long run will cause seniors to pay even more than they do now. Just what a person on a fixed income wants to hear your medicine and doctor visits will cost more now hope you didn't plan on eating this week. And don't bother applying for food stamps because they are cutting back on them also.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I read on the internet that the NHS is rationing care.

No more knee surgeries.

If you have $$$ you get a private room and the best care that money can buy!

2 tier system

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Why does Obamacare not kick in fully til 2014? If it's so great start it now! Herp derpy derpin.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

He has no plan to gut medicare. He plans to cut back on the overcharging by the hospitals and big pharma and their outrageous costs. Ryan tried running his plan once before but it failed and the new plan he and Mittens came up with in the long run will cause seniors to pay even more than they do now. Just what a person on a fixed income wants to hear your medicine and doctor visits will cost more now hope you didn't plan on eating this week. And don't bother applying for food stamps because they are cutting back on them also.

hahaha He has no plan to gut medicare???.....He already did it. it was in the new obamacare bill. 500 billion was taken out to pay for ObamaCare!!!

A plan to cut back on overcharging. O you mean tax medical supplys and increase the cost of goods and services. That’s in the Obamacare bill too!

You cant price fix goods and services. Remember what happen last time a president prices fixed a good? It was Jimmy Carter. He price fixed fuel and created an artificial supply shortage.

The only thing that will bring prices down is opening state boarders and Increasing competition.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Some of us do.

Some think it is evil.

I wish we had a single payer system, it only makes sense...healthcare shouldn't be a privledge.

Oh, the wheels of disinformation spin on and on.
HEALTH CARE is not a privilege, as no one here can be turned away for services by a hospital.
HEALTH INSURANCE is a choice to be made by the individual. And spare me the sob story BS. People chose one way or the other.

And no, most do not want a single payer system.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

But that isn't their argument...they are specifically telling Seniors to not worry, that they won't touch their medicare.

The biggest Republican voting block would stage a revolt if they touched the Medicare benefits of the 55 and older group. Seniors are smart enough to figure out that the vouchers wouldn't cover the actual costs of premiums

Besides, we can all remember the seniors screaming about protecting their Medicare and killing health care reform at townhall meetings. The rest of the country can burn as long as they get their benefits.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

The biggest Republican voting block would stage a revolt if they touched the Medicare benefits of the 55 and older group. Seniors are smart enough to figure out that the vouchers wouldn't cover the actual costs of premiums

Besides, we can all remember the seniors screaming about protecting their Medicare and killing health care reform at townhall meetings. The rest of the country can burn as long as they get their benefits.

The rest of the country will burn if its not fixed. Ryans plan or not, something needs to change or no one is going to get ANYTHING in the future.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

The rest of the country will burn if its not fixed. Ryans plan or not, something needs to change or no one is going to get ANYTHING in the future.

Bingo !

The government should care for those who can't care for themselves.

Well, when the whole system collapses.........nobody......gets cared for!!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

How could it simultaneously "provide better coverage to Seniors" and not affect people over 55? Did I miss something there?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Some of us do.

Some think it is evil.

Oh, the wheels of disinformation spin on and on.
HEALTH CARE is not a privilege, as no one here can be turned away for services by a hospital.
HEALTH INSURANCE is a choice to be made by the individual. And spare me the sob story BS. People chose one way or the other.

And no, most do not want a single payer system.

Yes most do want a single payer system -- The hospitals can not turn away people is bull -- Bain capitals hospital chain HCA figured out just how to do that. The hospital only has to make you stable and able to reasonably leave under your own power.

Healthcare is a privilege we are moving to the place where only the privileged and get it -- it sucks at our GNP and costs way more to deal with really sick people. Places that don't have universal healthcare are mostly hellholes.

The lack of health insurance is not a choice that most people make. When health insurance takes half or more of your income. You can't afford it.

We are part of a club that definitely doesn't include the countries you want to live in. You are welcome to try. The green represents most of the civilized world the gray represents us and the rest.

cdn.theatlantic.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join