It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for video recording police in public (Canada)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
He was let go and the court demanded that his belongings be returned. If the video is missing when/if the phone is returned I think the police should be charged with "Digital Mischief", a Candian law pertaining to the tampering or destruction of digital data without the permission of the owner for personal gain. It is a criminal offense.

You see a lot of US examples posted but it is interesting to see how Canada cases pan out.

This is a great example and lesson to those who get harassed for filming police in Canada.

Man wants phone back after videotaping arrest

An Edmonton man wants police to return an iPhone that he says was seized by an officer while he was videotaping an arrest. Corey Maygard, 25, captured the video last Friday because he thought police were using excessive force to detain a man near the Salvation Army in downtown Edmonton. "They had the one guy somewhat hog-tied behind his back," Maygard said. "And they were dragging him." Maygard says one of the officers approached and told him to stop recording. He refused. "He at that point turned me around, read me my rights," Maygard said. "Took my phone. Turned the video off and arrested me for obstruction of justice." Maygard was taken to downtown police headquarters where he spent the night in cells. The charge was withdrawn in court on Monday. "There is nothing that prevents an individual from videoing an event that's taking place in public," his lawyer Danny Lynn said. The court ordered police to return all of Maygard's belongings, including his iPhone. However, the phone hasn't yet been found. Police say the information isn't yet in their property and exhibit system. This can take time as there is a large amount of property that needs to be processed each day. They say they are doing their best to track it down as soon as possible.

Source

edit on 19-8-2012 by dainoyfb because: I cleaned it up.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yeah right...these cops need to be shown just how much power they do have......they rely on intmdation for dealing with the public....
They often cite non existant laws and statutes to buffalo people into obeying them.....
The sonsabritches are just another type of moptorcycle gang is all.....
thats what goverment has come down to in our two countries.....rule by threats of gang violence.......
the guy should be able to sue for false arrest and imprisonment as well as personal damages.....
these are not the kind of people we want for cops.....

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

the guy should be able to sue for false arrest and imprisonment as well as personal damages.....

I really hope he does that and wins.

It would set a precedent for other cops who think they are above being filmed while doing a public duty.

Sorry LEO`s, but if you are doing your job correctly in serving the public there should be no fear in being filmed.

I have been on video surveillance in some jobs I had..and never had a problem with it, and I wasn`t working on behalf of the public.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
He has the phone back now, with the video still on it.

source

“You’ve got to stand up for yourself, because if you don’t, no one else will.”

top topics

join