It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Americans stuck in the Cold War mentality?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
No, not all, but many Americans on ATS are stuck in a Cold War Mentality.

Many American ATS members are blinded by American Bravado and tend to underestimate opposing countries. When it comes to discussions regarding potential battle scenarios, many American ATSers are quick to underestimate countries like China or Russia by stating that their military is stuck in the 60's, 70's or 80's, and that the US would smash them in a battle scenario.

While i have no doubt that the US could and may mop the floor with China (it depends on a lot of scenarios), it is moronic to state that Russia and China can not succeed in battle because of 40 ~ year old hardware. For all the Average ATSer knows, Russia and China could have some super secret # (just as the US do).

I think it is time to grow out of this Cold War mentality.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

When George HW Bush faced Saddam Hussein in JUST a proxy fight across the sands of Kuwait, he amassed a combined military in excess of 500,000 Troops. Even that was suggested, by some, to be running a bit short on force. We won..hands down and with SUCH ease, Bush could arrogantly end the war at exactly the 100hr mark as some statement of superiority. That was cold war thinking. Caution.....respect for the enemy..and absolute overwhelming force so we CAN win.

In 2003, we had around 200,000 and some were saying that was too many. A few intelligent men like Powell.....a product of the cold war........cautioned it was foolish and arrogant. He was proven right.

I don't know where this arrogance that we can kick everyone's butt and then give seconds to anyone asking.....while still getting back in time for Christmas is coming from. The United States I grew up in at the tail end of the Cold War was *NOT* arrogant like this. We had confidence as a nation...because we had strength. Now it's arrogance to make up for the fact..we don't have what we used to.

join