It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists Discover Ancient Zapotec Tomb

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Just an observation.

Our society is often critiised for being obsessed with the sports and activities surrounding them.

Yet ancient cultures may have had the same obsessions.

I wonder if it's in our genes?

Go Bears!

edit on 17-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Yep, we have always had an obsession with "the game", for various reasons.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

This is so fascinating Slay. I have always wondered how they were able to come up with a rubber ball.

It is not known precisely when or where the Mesoamerican ballgame originated, although it is likely that the game originated earlier than 1400 BCE in the low-lying tropical zones home to the rubber tree. One candidate for the birthplace of the ballgame is the Soconusco coastal lowlands along the Pacific Ocean. Here, at Paso de la Amada, archaeologists have found the oldest ballcourt yet discovered, dated to approximately 1400 BCE.

I can always depend on you satisfying my thirst for info. Thank you Slayer and as always SnF.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Man you got a lot of guns...
Interesting story OP.
edit on 17-8-2012 by Rubicant13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

I would call it an arsenal. And a damn good reason not to worry. And a cure for insomnia. And you must always remember what Marines say.

" This is my weapon this is my gun. This is for killing and this is for fun ".

I knew there was more this guy than meets the eye.
edit on 17-8-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

This and the revelation about the underground bunker at puma punku within 24hours?
Absolutley first class work Bro.

Again.

You should write a book on the ancient world,I would buy it for sure.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Great Post Slayer.
I am always fascinated by the mesoamerican Ball Game.
I have read that the ball game can get sometimes very bloody.
I watched a movie called "Futuresport" starring Dean Cain & Wesley snipes. The premise of the movie is another kind of ballgame , quite bloody too.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

I'm glad others are interested as well

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Proof whoever claimed to invent the basketball game stole it from an older civilization, right down to the bleachers.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
WTH Slayer??? Do you just sit around with 50 computers constantly scanning the net for these finds??

SLAYER69

Central command

Is that a Light Saber?

Another great find brother.

If Greeks could Idolize the human body/ with competition, I am 100% sure, that cultures around the World did the same..

edit on 17-8-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

From my understanding they took the game very seriously. With the losers being sacrificed. I dunno about you but if I were in a life or death match I'd play/fight like hell.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Was my understanding that early american "hoop" game is similar but not entirely what we have as in basketball.

The horzontial hoop that we know to today was vertical back during early "American civilization" also believe that he losers were killed and they ate their hearts?

Been awhile so that might be off a bit.

There are close similarities to the "warriors" of atheltic games and ones on the battlefield which is why they are held are idolized.
edit on 17-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
epic command center......

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Looks more like a large array radiotelescope.

You know, like how the Egyptian pyramids were generators.

Maybe the Egyptian generators ran this radiotelescope via a very long extension cord.

What? We haven't found the extension cord?

Of course not, you ninny!!

Meltwater after the Ice Age has covered it!

Harte

I appreciate the humor.

Care to post anything on topic though?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I still have trouble seeing guys trying to get that ball through that impossibly small whole without using their hands.It like it would be hard to do WITH hands.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Very very interesting...especially the clothings and the ornaments. S&F

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I figure all aspects of Ancient cultures/civilizations should be explored and understood.
I find all of the pre-columbian sites very interesting. While many will simply say these various societies were blood thirsty savages while ignoring their art and architecture etc etc etc.

I think the more they dig the more they'll find a very sophisticated people well versed in many of the sciences...

I found that post more important than the thread itself.

Glad to see someone else have that point of view.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
So many new discoveries coming from around the world! I can't wait to see what mysteries are unraveled wiht further exploration of these new findings!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thanks Slayer!
I find great interest in the part about how wide spread these stadiums and this game is found. They must have travelled and taught other tribes/cities. Do you think the different cities played each other?
How much more epic it would be to live at that time and see those games. People these days can only wish to be that close to their sport.

Oh and I love your command center

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Just an observation.

Our society is often critiised for being obsessed with the sports and activities surrounding them.

Yet ancient cultures may have had the same obsessions.

I wonder if it's in our genes?

Go Bears!

edit on 17-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

I agree, and wondered at the part the supposed religious/sacred connection to their sport. Could people back then possibly worship their games more than now, LoL. Seriously, wonder why spirituality is so often claimed to be tied to archeological finds, when in today's world we consider such things as merely tradition?

Oh, and Go Tigers!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It doesn't surprise me that ancient civilizations were big on sports, I mean once you reach a certain level of "culture" you need a outlet for male aggression and as civilization usually frowns on killing your fellow citizens... Voila enter your sports heroes!
So Slayer how far underground is your bunker

Yea and go 49ers!
edit on 17-8-2012 by hangedman13 because: sports plug

edit on 17-8-2012 by hangedman13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join