It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWARE Study Update (August 17, 2012)- Parnia writing a book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Parnia is writing a new book due out February 2013. pretty clear this is related to the AWARE study.. www.amazon.co.uk...

“Drawing upon ground-breaking research, Dr Sam Parnia explains what happens to the brain and consciousness during cardiac arrest. In The Lazarus Effect, he shares the amazing stories of patients who have survived cardiac arrest, and explains how this points to a new understanding of death. Medical science has made huge advances in recent years and it’s now clear that:

·If a patient hasn’t taken a breath for 10 minutes, they are not necessarily dead. In fact, death is not a moment in time but a process – today you could still be resuscitated after 40 minutes.

·In 10 years’ time, we may recover loved ones hours, or even days, after their last breath.

·If the body suffers a serious trauma, the heart and brain cells go into a sort of hibernation from which they can recover.

·Recovery is much more likely if the body is artificially cooled – but only 50% of hospitals do this.

·Only 1.8% of resuscitations are currently successful (unlike how it seems on TV hospital dramas).

·The ‘dead’ can remember things, and do have some awareness while they’re ‘out of action’.

We need to reassess such questions as When is the brain actually dead?…When should organ donation begin?…What does all this mean about the nature of our minds and our bodies? Using the very latest science, The Lazarus Effect has profound implications for the ways in which we view death – and life…and will hopefully change the way medics treat us should we ever find ourselves in Accident and Emergency.”

I'm not too thrilled with the summary honestly. Feels like the results could indicate NDE are hallucinatory (or at least, that there wasn't evidence they are real).

The summary doesn't mention verified OBE (either through seeing the target images or a Pam Reynolds like case). It simply states we have awareness while "out of action", but we always knew this. It doesn't say we have awareness out of body while "out of action". If the study offered convincing evidence OBE occur separately from the brain, wouldn't that have been a major selling point of the book? I think that would be far more interesting than what the current summary indicates.

Maybe a pessimistic way of viewing it, but I rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed when the real results are released. The good news is we seem to be a lot closer to getting the results. Should be January at the absolute latest (one of the versions of the book- either the European or American one- is due out in January).
edit on 17-8-2012 by BailSnail because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Are they allowed to write a book about their research? After all, didn't he receive grants and now he gets to make money?

I also would like to know if they have proof of anyone seeing the signs when they were "dead". I agree, though, if this was true, the focus of the book would have been on this.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
Are they allowed to write a book about their research? After all, didn't he receive grants and now he gets to make money?

I also would like to know if they have proof of anyone seeing the signs when they were "dead". I agree, though, if this was true, the focus of the book would have been on this.

Even if they don't see the signs, I would like to know how accurate their OBEs were. Did they see the medical staff working on them, etc? If most of them are accurate, that could have pretty major implications. Of course, the same could also be true for the opposite. This is the biggest study to date, so there should be plenty of information on these things.

The study was always about two things. Verifying whether OBE are real and learning about the medical process of death. The results of this book seem to focus on the latter.

The book summary doesn't necessarily imply that NDEs are created by the brain, but then again most people wouldn't want to buy a book like that.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Doesn't sound promising in proving the OBE. I don't think Parnia ever took the idea that consciousness could separate at death very seriously but it will be a step closer to understanding death.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Sam Parnia - "“If, on the other hand, it’s just an illusion, it’s a trick of the mind, which it may well be and I suspect it will turn out to be, then we would expect no one to be able to see those pictures.”

Parnia is demanding that the Aware Study that he’s done - which imo doesn’t have any chance of succeeding - should be the end all. It should overtrump and coffin nail the 25+ years of prior NDE research.

I smell a debunking going about.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It'll be interesting to see what he uses as definitive proof of whatever it is that he declares as being true. I'll also be interesting to see whether he actually asserts anything to be definitive concerning the OBE aspect of the NDE. If this book goes the same way as literally all other books of this sort, he'll only suggest one hypothesis or the other, and leave it - yet again - vague and open to interpretation.

I have yet to read a book that definitively makes a statement concerning the objective reality of the eternal nature of the human being without declaring faith to be proof at some point in the presentation. It's as if everyone knows that a breakthrough is wanted, and everyone wants a piece of that market, and yet no one has the goods to actually deliver on the book jacket's promises.
edit on 8/17/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
It'll be interesting to see what he uses as definitive proof of whatever it is that he declares as being true. I'll also be interesting to see whether he actually asserts anything to be definitive concerning the OBE aspect of the NDE. If this book goes the same way as literally all other books of this sort, he'll only suggest one hypothesis or the other, and leave it - yet again - vague and open to interpretation.

I have yet to read a book that definitively makes a statement concerning the objective reality of the eternal nature of the human being without declaring faith to be proof at some point in the presentation. It's as if everyone knows that a breakthrough is wanted, and everyone wants a piece of that market, and yet no one has the goods to actually deliver on the book jacket's promises.
edit on 8/17/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

Very true. Even if the results are entirely negative, it still doesn't seem like he is ready to make a definite conclusion. It would be a pretty huge breakthrough either way, but nobody can do it.

Either that, or he has concluded that NDE are created entirely by the brain but doesn't want that being the main premise of the book for fear it won't sell. I can't imagine a book like that would be very fun to read for the vast majority of the population.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
pretty surprised by how little discussion is going on in this thread, considering how much attention AWARE has been getting the last few years.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
What Dr. Parnia and his group have devised is a way of putting targets-that is, pictures inside the room of someone who may experience cardiac arrest. They may experience clinical death. Up above their bed, very close to the ceiling, is a target that they can’t see unless they’re way up in the ceiling looking down, okay? So the idea is that near-death experiencers routinely report that they’re out of their body, that they’re having this out-of-body experience and Dr. Parnia and his group said, “Hey, let’s devise an experiment so objectively see whether they can report information that only they could see.”

In other words, when somebody comes into the hospital, let’s put them in a room. If they have cardiac arrest, let’s go and talk to them and see if they saw our target that was placed above their bed that only they could see. If a lot of them see it, then this survival of consciousness thing must be real. If they don’t see it, then it’s not.

So that’s the Aware Study, and it’s generated quite a bit of buzz, quite a bit of interest, and as the man behind the Aware Study, there’s been a lot of speculation about exactly what Dr. Parnia’s angle is on this research. I mean, is he a true believer who’s looking to establish another line of evidence for the afterlife? Or is he a die-hard skeptic or materialist looking for a novel way to debunk all of this NDE nonsense?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Everywhen
What Dr. Parnia and his group have devised is a way of putting targets-that is, pictures inside the room of someone who may experience cardiac arrest. They may experience clinical death. Up above their bed, very close to the ceiling, is a target that they can’t see unless they’re way up in the ceiling looking down, okay? So the idea is that near-death experiencers routinely report that they’re out of their body, that they’re having this out-of-body experience and Dr. Parnia and his group said, “Hey, let’s devise an experiment so objectively see whether they can report information that only they could see.”

In other words, when somebody comes into the hospital, let’s put them in a room. If they have cardiac arrest, let’s go and talk to them and see if they saw our target that was placed above their bed that only they could see. If a lot of them see it, then this survival of consciousness thing must be real. If they don’t see it, then it’s not.

So that’s the Aware Study, and it’s generated quite a bit of buzz, quite a bit of interest, and as the man behind the Aware Study, there’s been a lot of speculation about exactly what Dr. Parnia’s angle is on this research. I mean, is he a true believer who’s looking to establish another line of evidence for the afterlife? Or is he a die-hard skeptic or materialist looking for a novel way to debunk all of this NDE nonsense?

I absolutely agree with you to a point- but my understanding is the interviews are very in depth and try to verify other things in the rooms and not just the targets. If people are truly out of body, they should be able to verify at least some things like the doctors working on them, what was said, etc.

Since the book is choosing not to focus on that, however, it leads me to believe the results were negative for more than just the targets. People love buying NDE books, even if they are just of inspiring accounts. With 1,500 patients, they should be able to find some rather impressive stories.

I do agree that even if nobody sees the targets it doesn't mean too much. If none of the accounts are verifiable in any other way, or are flat out wrong, then that would be a problem.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
another synopsis-

www.harpercollinscatalogs.com...

search Parnia.

"Dr. Sam Parnia is one of the world's leading experts on the scientific study of
death, the human mind-brain relationship, and near-death experiences. His
specialty in resuscitation medicine and the innovative scientific study he leads, AWARE (Awareness during Resuscitation) challenges our understanding of life, death, and consciousness. Parnia studies the brain and consciousness during cardiac arrest to discover what happens when we die as well as to improve the medical care of cardiac arrest patients. As a result, he answers some of medical science’s most pressing questions.
In Erasing Death: The Science That Is Erasing the Boundaries Between Life and Death, Parnia presents cutting edge death research. Erasing Death sheds light on the ultimate mystery - what happens to human consciousness during and after death. Parnia’s research shows that death is, in almost all cases, reversible and that some afterlife is uniquely ours, as evidenced, among other things, by the ability of the “dead” to formulate memories and maintain some awareness. This book is evidence that we are making previously unthinkable technological progress in our battle against death, and still more radical victories await us. With Parnia at the forefront, we may be on the..."

It mentions "afterlife", but that could be misleading to sell the book since it also says "uniquely ours" (sounds to me like that means it is only occurring in our head). Too hard to tell, but doesn't look promising.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
So if we start out with 1,500 cardiac arrest patients. Estimate that we should have maybe about 50 who have had an out-of-body experience. 20% if no one see the pictures. Them we know it's bull.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
For me, this is the most meaningful study that has ever been undertaken in the course of human history. This study , if Dr. Parnia's conclusions can be trusted, which I believe they can, will answer once and for all the age old question of what happens to us after we die. Even though this study will only give us a small glimpse of the truth of the main question of whether we simply cease to exist or instead enter a new phase of universal existence, for most of us, a glimpse is all we need.

I have listened to interviews of Dr. Parnia on Skeptiko.com which is a very interesting online radio debate show website which deals with these and other similar matters, and also seen his presentation of his work on YouTube. From that information I have concluded that Dr. Parnia is a true scientist, and is genuinely unbiased in his approach to this study, and has taken and will continue to take the necessary scientific steps to arrive at what he truly wants to find which is the truth. That's great because I think that's really what all of us open-minded people want.

I am very excited to discover the results of his groundbreaking study. He has said in a skeptiko interview that he is aware of the possibility of interference in the study data but he thinks this disturbance will be a small percentage and wont be enough to damage the truth.

I think this is more important than any other issue out there, I care about this information more than the truth about et's, secret government, military, and business behaviors. After we're done with our short lives will that all matter? Will we just cease to exist or enter into another dimension of pure energy made by the creator of the universe? I have an open mind and I'm ready for either conclusion, because if we do cease to exist, I look to what Achilles played by Brad Pitt in the movie "Troy" said when he was talking with the Trojan princess. "The God's envy us because we're mortal. because any moment could be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovlier than you are now, and we will never be here again."

The findings that suggest that we do not enter into an afterlife will make me appreciate every moment here a lot more than I already do. The findings that there is indeed a wonderful afterlife waiting for us when we pass on will fill my heart with relief of not ceasing to exist, amplify my faith in a superior, loving being who created the universe and make me so much happier knowing that I will see my loved ones again in the afterlife. I truly hope we do not just cease to exist, but if we do, I will definitely will have a different philosophy of life and try to remember that quote from troy that reminds us to appreciate every moment and rememeber that we and the universe we live in is beautiful and precious because we will be doomed. Also, if there's nothing after we die, there's nothing to be afraid of.

-blackjackmagraw

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Anyone have any word on this? I have heard about this study for years, but no results! At least release negative results dammit.

new topics

top topics

join