It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas Mayor Declares Emergency as West Nile Virus Spreads

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

news.blogs.cnn.com

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings declared Wednesday that the city is facing an emergency as the West Nile virus spreads, killing at least 14 people in Texas and 26 nationwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The Dallas declaration clears the way for aerial spraying to kill the infected mosquitos that carry the disease.

The United States is experiencing its biggest spike in West Nile virus since 2004, with 241 cases of the disease reported nationwide this year so far, including four deaths, health officials said last weekend, before the latest totals.

Of the 42 s
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
CNN just came on saying just now that West Nile Virus has spread throughout almost the enitre midwest and south. This news article is old because it's just new breaking in CNN that 653 people have now died.

Earlier this morning they showed a map of infected states and it was just the south and Texas with a mention of only a couple hundred deaths. CNN now showed a map of the US showing outbreaks in almost every state in the country except the NW and NE regions. I've literally watched this story evolve from the morning of West Nile Virus cautions to West Nile Virus breakout/contagion throughout the country.

They said earlies that something like over 75% of mosquitos in Texas are carrying it and the governement has gone on a massive campagin of pesticide dumping over Texas and probably now all over the place.

I can't remember what the numbers were exactly just now but it's staggering. The Death Toll rose from 235ish to about 635ish with tens of thousands contracting and getting sick from it. Once again the news clip I've added is older from this morning and I was shocked when I saw the difference just now on the media.

I guess if you're going outside especially in the south and midwest to put on some bugspray or take a bath in DDT because it's crazy how fast the numbers have jumped.

news.blogs.cnn.com

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Just another excuse to spray chemtrails!!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

I guess if you're going outside especially in the south and midwest to put on some bugspray or take a bath in DDT because it's crazy how fast the numbers have jumped.

A sheet of fabric softener in your pocket is also supposed to work nicely - and I would assume slightly less unpleasantly than spray-on repellants. Would like to test this myself but I've hardly seen any mosquitos here so far this year.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Is this true? 635ish dead?

Did I read that right?

Thats pretty high isnt it?

First i've heard of it but i guess being in the UK, i wouldn't hear about it anyway.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Obama already ceded U.S. sovereignty to the U.N. and authorized U.N. troops to invade the U.S. in case of an emergency. Obamacare supposedly requires that all Americans have a class II implantable device that tracks medical records nlt March 2013 and Obama has also authorized U.S. troops to enforce manadatory vaccinations.

When I was wondering how exactly he plans to implement all of this, I considered that declaring a pandemic just might do the trick. Is the West Nile virus the opportunity that Obama has created or rather been waiting for?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chizeled

Obamacare supposedly requires that all Americans have a class II implantable device that tracks medical records nlt March 2013 and Obama has also authorized U.S. troops to enforce manadatory vaccinations

I dislike Obama very much, but your statement is totally false!! Show me where it says what you alledge it does!!!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

No you didn't, I don't know where the OP got that number from but this year there have been around 240 cases and 4 deaths according to that article. That's like a 1% fatality rate.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Is this true? 635ish dead?

Did I read that right?

Thats pretty high isnt it?

First i've heard of it but i guess being in the UK, i wouldn't hear about it anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised. My neighbor came down with West Nile two years ago. The same year a older woman down the street died from West Nile. The woman lived right next to a storm drain. It was likely the source. We already has multiple cases reported in our area this year.

Of course last year with the drought, mosquitoes were not a big problem.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I just saw the clippet on the news and they just said thousands are getting sick all over the country with hundreds of deaths but couldn't cite it because it was just relreased

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
650 dead is ridiculous.

This is just for Texas.

Link

15 West Nile human fatalities have been reported in 2012

And nationwide.

link

Thus far in 2012, 43 states have reported West Nile virus infections in people, birds, or mosquitoes. A total of 693 cases of West Nile virus disease in people, including 26 deaths, have been reported to CDC. Of these, 406 (59%) were classified as neuroinvasive disease (such as meningitis or encephalitis) and 287 (41%) were classified as non-neuroinvasive disease.

edit on 15-8-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I live here in Dallas and, yes, it's cause for concern but I don't consider it an outright emergency. There have been 16 deaths so far but only 25% of cases are in Texas, not 80%. And I don't know where you got over 600 deaths from.

The number of West Nile cases are unusually high this year because we've had more rain compared to the last couple of years. Mosquitoes hatch their eggs in standing water. Wearing DDT and staying inside from dusk to dawn will help keep the numbers low.

I am concerned with aerial spraying, though. It will kill bees but their argument is that bees don't go out at night. My question is, where DO the bees go? Their hives? Does anyone have experience or knowledge with bees?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

So with those numbers the death rate is at around 3%. The numbers in the CNN article must have just been for texas. This isn't that serious.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s

news.blogs.cnn.com

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings declared Wednesday that the city is facing an emergency as the West Nile virus spreads, killing at least 14 people in Texas and 26 nationwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The Dallas declaration clears the way for aerial spraying to kill the infected mosquitos that carry the disease.

The United States is experiencing its biggest spike in West Nile virus since 2004, with 241 cases of the disease reported nationwide this year so far, including four deaths, health officials said last weekend, before the latest totals.

Of the 42 s

The question is, how did the mosquitoes contract it. They have such a short life span and breed locally ..

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by chizeled
Obama already ceded U.S. sovereignty to the U.N. and authorized U.N. troops to invade the U.S. in case of an emergency. Obamacare supposedly requires that all Americans have a class II implantable device that tracks medical records nlt March 2013 and Obama has also authorized U.S. troops to enforce manadatory vaccinations.

the motto here is deny ignorance, not demonstrate it!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The West Nile Virus has been around a long time, they just gave it a scary name now to freak out the public into mass inoculation. Those planes spraying overhead only effect airborne mosquito's and your future children.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

No you didn't, I don't know where the OP got that number from but this year there have been around 240 cases and 4 deaths according to that article. That's like a 1% fatality rate.

According to the latest reports in Texas:

15 West Nile human fatalities have been reported in 2012

381 Illness in 38 Counties

www.dshs.state.tx.us...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Cant be good for the dogs, cats, birds
&
wildlife that will get sprayed either.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

Originally posted by texasgirl
I am concerned with aerial spraying, though. It will kill bees but their argument is that bees don't go out at night. My question is, where DO the bees go? Their hives? Does anyone have experience or knowledge with bees?

Typically bees do not go out at night. They gather in their hives and wait until sunrise to start their chores again. They have ocelli on the top of their head that is believed to be used to sense light which helps them in navigation.
edit on 15-8-2012 by ziggypogo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggypogo
reply to post by texasgirl

Originally posted by texasgirl

Typically bees do not go out at night. They gather in their hives and wait until sunrise to start their chores again. They have ocelli on the top of their head that is believed to be used to sense light which helps them in navigation.
edit on 15-8-2012 by ziggypogo because: (no reason given)

Thanks for answering, that is really interesting. I walk my dog at night and I swear I've swatted at a couple of bees but I must be wrong. Is it possible, with all the crazy weather patterns in the last few years, that bees get confused and fly at night?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join