It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas Mayor Declares Emergency as West Nile Virus Spreads

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild
reply to post by imitator

Cant be good for the dogs, cats, birds
&
wildlife that will get sprayed either.

It is supposedly safe for cats and dogs but they are asking us to bring them inside anyway. I am concerned about some birds, though.

Back in 1999 Long Island Sound's lobster population took a bad hit when 95% of its population died. Apparently,the rains from Hurricane Floyd washed the poison down the drains and into the Sound. It is interesting to note that this poison (pyrethoid) is banned in the UK.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by VI0811
The question is, how did the mosquitoes contract it. They have such a short life span and breed locally ..

Most often, WNV is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected when they feed on infected birds. Infected mosquitoes can then spread WNV to humans and other animals when they bite.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
05 info on the company that is contracted to do the spaying below.

EPA Sues Clarke Mosquito Control For Endangering Health of Sprayers

www.beyondpesticides.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Since the company that was contracted to spray is from IL, news regarding the go ahead was mentioned in Chicago before Dallas.

www.chicagotribune.com...

edit on 16-8-2012 by Kituwa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Second post here

Having had WNV I can speak for us who have had it, it blows! Flu-like symptoms minus the URI part. Very strange. Shakes, fever and body aches. I was sick for a week straight. Awful. Not to mention that I'm in my late 20's. I live in Dallas. They said today that 30% of the mosquitoes tested carried the disease. Ugh!!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

Well, no one has mentioned our gardens

I have tarped my garden just in case. Most my veggies are dead anyways... LOL!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I thought the West Nile Virus things was over. I guess someone dropped another virus bomb

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

No, It is not true.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

There are no vaccines or medications for WNV.

Come on people, do some homework before making stupid conspircy statements like these.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm patiently awaiting the US Gov't or TPTB to release some devastating virus upon the masses to create the perfect epidemic so they may use their new FEMA camps to "quarantine" the population that remains. I figured the bio-engineered H1N1 was a test run. We shall see what this will bring.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by texasgirl

It has been found to be in a lot of species of birds, but it seems to kill only crows and raptors, if it kills any.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

I wonder if the chemicals are worse than the disease.

I urge everyone to put up bat houses. Bats eat an insane amout of mosquitoes a night. But make sure you do your research, bats are very specific, though the houses themselves are easy to make.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Here are infections by state.

www.cdc.gov...&controlCaseCount12_detailed.htm

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 59demon

If they wanted to kill a lot of people, they would just re release the spanish flu.

What is really stupid about statements like these is that aremoving a percentage of the workforce causes economic distruption.

So no, the government does not want to remove 20% of the workforce, as it would risk economic collapse.

You have any idea how much the government spends on pandemic prevention?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by Swing80s

I guess if you're going outside especially in the south and midwest to put on some bugspray or take a bath in DDT because it's crazy how fast the numbers have jumped.

A sheet of fabric softener in your pocket is also supposed to work nicely - and I would assume slightly less unpleasantly than spray-on repellants. Would like to test this myself but I've hardly seen any mosquitos here so far this year.

The fabric softener didn't work for me.

Body odor is supposed to repel them too, but that has other consequences.

The Deepwoods Off is the best repellent I have used. It has the highest percentage of Deet.

The best overall advice is to wear pants and long sleeve shirts, and don't go out at dusk.

ETA:
Also, the aerial spraying they did here aboud 6 weeks ago worked wonders! This was the worst mosquito year I've ever seen here, but after the aerial spraying they were completely gone. Now, about 6 weeks later, we are starting to see some little ones coming back.
edit on 17-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Wow..this is a rather interesting article...

West Nile has never been proven to exsist...what's killing people then?

www.blacklistednews.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Come on people, do some homework before making stupid conspircy statements like these.

I never said anything about vaccines or medications? You have a lot to learn here.... this is a conspiracy site!

But anyway I know your type... you will bend over backwards for big brother any day!!! West Nile Virus is nothing new.... The Dallas Mayor is fear mongering, that aerial insecticide is meant for you...

Think about it, over 1 million people in Dallas and only a small 2 digit number has died there!!! It's Vietnam all over again, with defoliating chemicals being sprayed in your backyard! I would bet a drop in population in Dallas in the next couple years with deformed and stillborn babies...

Best bet for people living in Dallas is to buy a Bio-Chem Personal Protection Suit!!!!
edit on 17-8-2012 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Try this:

phys.org...

www.microbeworld.org...

So there you go; eat alot more Turmeric!

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

A vaccine for West Nile Virus exists for Horses, at least. It is one of the vaccinations done currently for horses in North America.

The mortality rate for infected horses is 33%.

Horse owners have been alert to this for the last few years. Just had a friend find out her horse has it. Even if they survive, there is often neurological damage left.

One thing that works well to repel mosquitos is Lavander oil. I put it all over myself and my animals, and it is the only thing that works for both flies and mosquitoes! I don't know how easy it is to get everywhere else- lavander is heavily produced in my area of provincial France, so it is not expensive. But I have heard that some other lands make a "fake" sort of lavander essence or perfume, which will not have the same effect. It is only real Lavander or Lavendin, that works. (and it makes you and your pets smell heavenly as well!)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Here's what Dr Leonard Horowitz thinks about this sudden outbreak.....

www.raven1.net...

www.raven1.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join