It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will UFC (MMA) be shown in the Olympics???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Here's a thought...

Way way back when the olypics started they had probably something similar to UFC in the olypmics. I doubt there form of wrestling was like today. It was likely much more like MMA. So I'm wondering if they'd ever do that again where you get to see mma (ufc) in the olympics? It would really give the games the new spice it needs to draw in a younger audience. Like they have all kinds of crazy sports in there now, so why not MMA??? That would be wicked!!!

Here's here's a good example of what it could look like...

edit on 15-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
That's not a good example of what it could look like, they have weight classes now.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
When dressage and speed walking are removed from the Olympics.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

By way back you mean Gladiators? I love the idea but i differ somehow. Because after all it is Martial Arts. So it should be Open to the best fighters in the world not just "Olympians".

A little man CAN take down a big man so its not all about size. It would be fun if it was open to Everyone but we all know thats not gonna happen.

They will not allow the best fighters because the Best fighters can actually kill somebody with one hard punch or break your bones with one hard kick.

I mean they should could just add UFC as another sport in the Olympics like teak-won-do and Judo. But its not going to be the same as a full Martial Arts Status were everyone can show off there unique fighting skills like all of us would love to see, thus Gladiators was probably one of the best, besides bloodiest, fighting sports ever.
edit on 15-8-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

never,,,it's already way too long and means nothing in the grand scheme of things...great for the athletes but no countries are coming together because of it...but some people are making boat loads of money because of it...

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
MMA is considered to violent to be included in the Olympics...it is not consistent with the spirit of the games. I'm surprised they still keep boxing in there...but even with that, they have to wear protective gear.

Maybe brazilian jiu jitsu might get in the Olympics...but never MMA.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
They may not do it since we already have olympic boxing, wrestling, judo, and tae kwan do - mma is just all of these things at once.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Actually the wrestling was very similar to the regular wrestling you see in high schools for example. The style we use today is commonly known as Roman-Greco or Greco-Roman (Greco standing for Greek).

The name "Greco-Roman" was applied to this style of wrestling as a way of purporting it to be similar to the wrestling formerly found in the ancient civilizations surrounding the Mediterranean Sea especially at ancient Greek olympics.

Wiki

The UFC fighting is most similar to what the Romans did with Gladiators, although we don't kill each other... yet.

I'm torn on this, while I do appreciate the skill and training some of the fighters display, anyone would be hard pressed to call any of them Olympic athletes. It takes more than muscles and violence to be an Olympic athlete.

Who knows, maybe in the future, but the UFC is far from that still. Good money maker though!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

It's my opinion that UFC fighters are some of the best conditioned athletes in the world, right up there with Olympians, NFL, Special Forces, Triathletes. They can take impacts that the average man cannot, and some of them are former Olympians, NFL Players, Special Forces, Triathletes. Ever heard of Anderson Silva? Nick Diaz? St Pierre? Look at the way these guys train, you can't take anything away from them.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron

I'm torn on this, while I do appreciate the skill and training some of the fighters display, anyone would be hard pressed to call any of them Olympic athletes. It takes more than muscles and violence to be an Olympic athlete.

At least 21 different Olympic medalists from two sports (wrestling and judo) have gone on to compete in MMA and that was as of 2008, the muscles and violence comment is just ridiculous and shows how little you know of the sport. The fact you call it "ufc fighting" speaks volumes as well

edit on 15-8-2012 by DeadpoolPete because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I agree guys, but it's not a sport, even though Dana likes to call it so.

By definition it is too violent to be called a sport. And while there are great human specimens out there who would pummel any other human in their weight class, to the point of killing them, it is not a sport.

A sport is a game and does not condone violence. Even boxing has been questioned in the past as being too violent, but it cannot even begin to compare to the brutality of MMA.

"You're not being a good sport". Even the conduct of athletes is expected to be more 'sportsman-like' than what the majority of MMA fighters display.

In fact, the Olympics only ran in the ancient times until the gladiatorial fights were introduced in Rome around the 7th century BC. Athletics went out of vogue and violence prevailed. Olympics were abolished and the era of Gladiators began, but such violence was never allowed in the Olympics and they did not overlap.

Now, I agree that in our current times we are again finding amusement in violence and violent games but I think we must not tarnish the heritage of the Olympics -- even the Romans knew not to overlap the two.

There is nothing sportsman like about breaking a man's arm or kicking him to death, no matter how much training you did for it. Yeah, they're in great shape, but they're not Olympians.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadpoolPete

At least 21 different Olympic medalists from two sports (wrestling and judo) have gone on to compete in MMA and that was as of 2008, the muscles and violence comment is just ridiculous and shows how little you know of the sport. The fact you call it "ufc fighting" speaks volumes as well

Never said they didn't. Many former Olympians also start their own companies, some design running shoes or bicycles, they all find ways to profit and make money off of their skills. It should be of little surprise that some also go to MMA as the money is really too good to give up on.

MMA is still too rough and unregulated to be called a sport though and in my opinion does not belong there yet. Will it some day? Who knows, maybe it will and perhaps it should -- but it's not gonna look like it does today.

As far calling it UFC? Who cares? MMA, Strikeforce, King of the Cage... same chit... call it whatever you want, all operated by the same people. I'm sure you were not confused as to what I was talking about.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
No, it is going to become backwards in the future. So no.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

How can you possibly say that MMA isn't a real sport? The current breed of Mixed martial artists are among the finest, highly tuned athletes on the face of the earth. Men like George Saint Pierre, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Junior dos Santos have to show almost superhuman dedication to their training regimes.

Think of doing the Cardio and strength training required of any high level athlete. Then they need to train in Boxing, Kickboxing (or Muay-thai), add in wrestling, and top that off with high-level ju-jitsu training.
These men put their bodies and minds through punishment that would DESTROY most olympic competitors.
Why do they do this? Simple. To be acknowledged as the best, most skilled, mixed martial artist on the planet.

Its not only "a" sport. It is rapidly rising to become THE combat sport.

Notice why the US boxing team did so poorly at the olympic games? Its because anyone with talent realises that MMA is boxing + SO MUCH MORE.
I just find it totally offensive when people (yes you) demean the SPORT as just thugs beating each other up, calling it cage fighting etc. You just show by your disparaging comments that you have no idea of the technical skill involved or the effort required to train to fight for 25 minutes against an equally skilled, equally dedicated opponent.

Or maybe your the type who is just plain intimidated at the thought of a big fit dude who could pin you down and do as he pleased?
Hell, maybe your that pussy cop who got scared without his gun in canada the other week?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

MMA is still too rough and unregulated to be called a sport though and in my opinion does not belong there yet.

American football and rugby are not sports, then? Even the Olympic soccer was getting bloody at times this year. Oh and some of the most messed up injuries I've seen seen inflicted on athletes were actually done to themselves through error (and sometimes celebration). Is baseball no longer a sport because some guy died trying to catch a foul ball at a Rangers' game?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

A sport is a game and does not condone violence.

Except in a hockey game when your goalie gets slashed after the whistle. Then apparently anything goes.
Or when your skating out of your end with your head down and get levelled into the next century.

Yes, sports are games, there is no violence.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryScotsman

You live up to your name, Angry, but you assume too much.

I see that I've pissed you guys off by sharing my opinions that this does not belong in the Olympics currently. I will stand by that, in its current shape or form it has no place in the Olympics.

And as a side note, I appreciate the fighters -- I've had my share of fights. One time, I knocked out an alleged MMA fighter down in Sacramento when he was getting too mouthy at my bar. I say alleged because I've never seen him fight but his posse and he always bragged about his fights. He went down with a single punch.

Am I a cop? Is it the mustache?
Read some of my posts if you think I may be a cop.

Anyways guys, I am not doubting the skill and the fitness of the fighters, in fact I think every single fighter you listed is a phenomenon, but it is not an Olympic sport and will not be one unless many changes are made.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
While they are at it they need to bring back Motor Boat racing and live Dove shooting! ...seriously, wrestling?!

I guess I better add this before getting flamed like the guy above me~ It is an interesting thing the sports that do become part of the olympics. Now I am no expert but it is apparent to me that most of those sports are fairly world wide. Soccer is played on every continent (aside from Antarctica...) but sports like American football is not and would not translate well into today's olympics. Wrestling is on every continent but MMA is not, hell it is popular only in pockets at best here in the US... So, to make my point, I do not think people from Africa or even the majority of Euro-Asia would appreciate MMA in the olympics. Given time it will change though.. wasn't long ago Basketball was an American only sport.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Cassey222 because: to add~

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
MMA is the most exciting sport in human history. I could just see it the US vs China vs Russia in a fatal 3 way. Can't you just see the olympic spirit brimming to a climax in that??? And there country leaders would love every mouth watering morsal of action! It would be a total hit!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassey222
While they are at it they need to bring back Motor Boat racing and live Dove shooting! ...seriously, wrestling?!

I guess I better add this before getting flamed like the guy above me~ It is an interesting thing the sports that do become part of the olympics. Now I am no expert but it is apparent to me that most of those sports are fairly world wide. Soccer is played on every continent (aside from Antarctica...) but sports like American football is not and would not translate well into today's olympics. Wrestling is on every continent but MMA is not, hell it is popular only in pockets at best here in the US... So, to make my point, I do not think people from Africa or even the majority of Euro-Asia would appreciate MMA in the olympics. Given time it will change though.. wasn't long ago Basketball was an American only sport.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Cassey222 because: to add~

That's where you're wrong, pro mma competition exists in Japan, England, the Dutch are into all kinds of kickboxing and mma, South Americans (Brazil has pro mma comps), I believe the South Africans and Germans have their own pro fight leagues now as well. I don't believe mma should be an Olympic sport but when people claim it shouldn't even be considered a sport at all, well that has to be addressed.

join