It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have some gun related questions (which one, what do I need, what if, etc.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I live in Illinois and I'm looking for my first gun. I'm 21. I already have my FOID card.

Which one should I get?

Do I need a permit or gun lisence or anything?

Will he ask me for anything besides my FOID card? If you like like your a "bad" guy or you look fishy or something will they hesitate to sell it? (I have that problem I'm not a criminal or anything but cops always seem to point me out from the rest of the crowd) (How should I act or behave or look, so they dong think twice about selling me a gun)

How can I learn to use it?

edit on 15-8-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 0thetrooth0

Just don't dye your hair Orange and you'll be fine.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

edit on 15-8-2012 by 0thetrooth0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
My advice is simple. The gun you want to buy is the gun you want to buy. Sounds simple, but it isn't.

The best way to find yours is to locate a range that rents them to shoot there and try a few. See what feels good and what doesn't. I rented an Uzi when I was 18, all happy and SURE it was the greatest gun the world had ever seen......and I've always thought it was a piece of total crap since. Nothing like a rental to save a fortune in regret.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I suppose this is the only way to find out..

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Well, depending on your purpose for owning a firearm, this may determine which kind of weapon to buy. For example, I have a 9mm ruger hidden in my house, but I wouldn't carry it around. It's huge and it would be uncomfortable on-the-go defense. With a CCW, I'd recommend a 380. In Nevada we don't need a permit for open carry. So, I just holster my weapon, unloaded, between home and the range. In transport I'd recommend carrying it unloaded in a weapons case if unsure of your states laws. Also, I haven't heard of someone not selling a weapon because the buyer has an evil mustache or something, but that's at the discretion of the seller. If you're coming off as a crazy person and/or are a crazy person, I can see someone not selling you a firearm. Finally, if you want to learn how to use it, I would recommend taking a firearms and defense class. Most good shooting ranges will have some type of class to help you learn how to handle a firearm safely.

Safety is a big deal when owning a weapon. I HIGHLY recommend taking a class if you've never handled a gun, and knowing your states laws.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think it's the best way..... You'll have everyone in the world telling you this gun or that one and why their's is better. I could talk your ear off on why I think the Smith and Wesson 1911PD is the best carry weapon since they flushed Nixon. However, you may find it so hard to shoot or uncomfortable that my fancy gun would be your safe queen before you can afford to have one. lol.....

That's why I say to just find a range and spend a few bucks to literally play and see what 'feels' right.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Totally agreed. You should definitely get a feel for what you're dealing with before purchasing anything. Good call.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What's the cheapest and most easy to use?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

What's the cheapest and most easy to use?

As far as cheapest, I don't think a gun is something you want to go bargin basement with unless you have to.

Easy to use? I would say any of the modern synthetics, like Glock or Springfield XD are fairly simple in design. OR you could go revolver, simplest type of gun to use ever.

as wrabbit said, the best thing is go to a range and try some guns out, its the only way you will know whats right for you.
edit on 15-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
k thanks

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
keltec is probably the cheapest but good quality.www.keltecweapons.com...

i'm thinking about getting the PMR 30 .22 mag - $400

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
As far as fun shooting rifles, anything that's .22 caliber is great fun and cheap to shoot.

Cook country has a ban on handguns so I hope you don't live there if you plan on buying such.

If you are indeed looking for a pistol. 9mm work well for fun shooting as they have less expensive ammo. For concealed carry I would suggest a Glock 19. The pistol doesn't have a hammer to catch on clothing. The polymer construction of the grip gives it a lighter weight although it may become top heavy as the clip empties. It is also a 9mm. The safety system is also much more reliable incase of accidental drops and things.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CthuluPrime

If you are indeed looking for a pistol. 9mm work well for fun shooting as they have less expensive ammo. For concealed carry I would suggest a Glock 19. The pistol doesn't have a hammer to catch on clothing. The polymer construction of the grip gives it a lighter weight although it may become top heavy as the clip empties. It is also a 9mm. The safety system is also much more reliable incase of accidental drops and things.

Yeah, Glock 19 is a nice piece, you definitely don't want to shoot yourself in the butt during a movie.

Man Shoots Self In Ass

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf10

good luck on that PMR 30 - they seem to be oversold-out everywhere, except on a few boards with a pretty good sized markup!

ganjoa

top topics

join