It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Romney first: over 40% of youth vote back him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I guess they can only drink the 'cool-aid' once
I wonder what the POTUS will attempt this time to tap into this age group. OWS failed miserably.

For the first time since he began running for president, Republican Mitt Romney has the support of over 40 percent of America's youth vote, a troubling sign for President Obama who built his 2008 victory with the overwhelming support of younger, idealistic voters.

LINK

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Kool-Aid comes in red and blue flavors.

All this tells me is that too many of the nations "youth" are still dumb as bricks.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Ironic. Isn't 40% the same unemployment rate of the youth in America?

Maybe the young pups are waking up.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Obama receives just 49 percent of the youth vote when pitted against Romney, who received 41 percent. In another question, the independent candidacy of Gary Johnson is included, and here Obama wins 50 percent, Romney 38 percent and Johnson 5 percent.

I don't think Obama will do much different...he is still in a comfortable lead this far out from the election. And you don't change anything based on one poll...you have to wait for a trend.
edit on 15-8-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by hp1229

Kool-Aid comes in red and blue flavors. All this tells me is that too many of the nations "youth" are still dumb as bricks.
Its missing the 'white' flavor...sugar that is
Agree that the youth are still dumb as bricks for the most part though

edit on 15-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Even though I would fall into the youth category (is 25 considered youth?) I totally agree. Why in the world would any young voters feel aligned with Mitt Romney, I think this is reminiscent of those Ron Paul Polls where Romney was absurdly ahead in playtime paid poll numbers, real-life people seemed to go a different route.

Mitt Romney has enough money to make anything appear how he chooses. I wouldnt go off that poll too much.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
If you realize that when you get older you won't have a job, won't have social security, won't have medicare, won't have a business, and won't have freedom. And you realize that Obama is going to make that happen, you don't go and vote for him. You go for the guy who wants you to have a job, social security, medicare, and a business of your own that you did build.

Who wants to live on food stamps and social security disability payments (for false claims) all their life just to vote for the black guy cause it's cool. Answer... no one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have a hard time taking the youth support seriously. Whether they support Obama or Romney. I don't think it really matters. For the most part, the youth don't vote.

They will scream and protest on the internet, but never make it to the voting booth. The old farts are the ones that actually vote.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I guess the education system is even worse than we thought, We really dont want mittens elected now this just reinforces that

edit on 15-8-2012 by pez1975 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Great news then because it means new 60% WON'T vote for him.

NOTE to OP: In case you were not aware OP, in political terms 40% is a loss by a tectonic landslide considering the American population is roughly politically divided some 50/50. Anything election won by more than, say 51%, is a landslide in political terms.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by hp1229

Ironic. Isn't 40% the same unemployment rate of the youth in America?

Maybe the young pups are waking up.

Yes, the young pups are waking up to discover that they cannot discharge their

college loans in bankruptcy court !

They need Jobs!....Jobs!....Jobs!

- Hello, President Mitt Romney !

Help !!!

Obama is a loser!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
I have a hard time taking the youth support seriously. Whether they support Obama or Romney. I don't think it really matters. For the most part, the youth don't vote.

They will scream and protest on the internet, but never make it to the voting booth. The old farts are the ones that actually vote.

This is largely true, excepting in 2008 when the Obama ground team really did bring out the youth vote. I doubt he can repeat those stats, but I doubt even less that Romney can energize anywhere near whatever numbers Obama manages to get to the polls.Romney could not excite even a molecule in a boiling beaker.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I think that is the sad case in reality
I used to be one of them back in the days when I just never paid attention and voted until it mattered.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Actually this is in keeping with a poll amonth ago that had Romney at 37%/Obama 51% of the youth vote...affording margin of error.

Not neccessarily a bump from the Ryan pick.

That said...when the GOP cheers still losing the youth vote by a healthy margin, it seems a bit desperate?

Obama still leads Romney among women, likely more so with the Ryan pick given Ryans position on almost every women's issue from Maternity Leave, Choice, Children's aid and foodstamp programs etc. etc.

Add in Latino's who have defected to Obama, the Senior GOP support which has eroded almost 10 points since 2008..

I understand that the media benefits from tight races and portraying the same, but some of these stories seem to be a stretch...again, just my humble opinion.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

Yep the youth tend to talk alot during the campaign season, yet more frequently forget to pull themselves off the xbox and show up at the polls. It was a big factor in Kerry's loss, he made the mistake thinking with the youth numbers he would win and wasn't as vigorous as he should have been in other demographics. Every candidate that has relied on the youth vote to get them in office has lost, it is the worst possible demographic to count on.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

This is largely true, excepting in 2008 when the Obama ground team really did bring out the youth vote. I doubt he can repeat those stats, but I doubt even less that Romney can energize anywhere near whatever numbers Obama manages to get to the polls.Romney could not excite even a molecule in a boiling beaker.

Obama did well at getting the youth vote to actually vote, better than most. But you have to also remember he did well in almost every other demographic as well. Youth vote this time around won't be anywhere near the levels of the 2008 campaign.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx

Originally posted by pajoly

Obama did well at getting the youth vote to actually vote, better than most. But you have to also remember he did well in almost every other demographic as well. Youth vote this time around won't be anywhere near the levels of the 2008 campaign.
Could it also be that he appealed to the youth at the time it just so happens when their college loans were due and they were waiting for a job after graduation? Basically right place at the right time.
edit on 16-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

new topics

top topics

join