It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Discovers Plate Tectonics On Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
MONDAY, 13 AUGUST 2012 22:30 PRESS RELEASE SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENTAL

It seems that evidence of similarity of Earth and Mars is steadily growing! There is water, there is weather of a sort, what will they find next! I predict life in all forms, vegetable, insect, small animal and intelligence life underground, remnants of when the planet was very Earth like.

"When I studied the satellite images from Mars, many of the features looked very much like fault systems I have seen in the Himalayas and Tibet, and in California as well, including the geomorphology," said Yin, a planetary geologist.

www.enewspf.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Crazy, just the other day I was looking at the recent images of mars surface, and also others... sitting there, wondering the very thing. Does Mars have plate tectonics? To me, it seemed as if it did... and I couldn't really reason as to why not.

This is cool news, S&F's!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Wow! It’s well known (with water) there are organisms that can live exclusively on volcanic activity, en.wikipedia.org... and it’s also thought that volcanic activity could be what started the first life on Earth. If there is no life, and with so many conditions so right for it on Mars, that would make life on Earth very special indeed. Of course it could be they discovered some exotic kind of bio weapon, and want to keep it secret –in fact I believe 2 of them are for president this year!

Edit: Don't you hate it when "scientists" tell you "no" and then say maybe, and then say "yes". Mainstream science always says no first, but unless it's been proven in some experiment they have no right. I wish the the guys who said there was no such activity on Mars were sacked for not being scientists. After it's one thing to say "probably not" but another altogether to say "no".
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: Update

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Is this like seriously a big deal or am I wrong?

This is big.

Edit - I would lose it if they sent a rover to Valles Marineris. That's my favorite spot on mars. It looks like a huge scar of the planet!

edit on 8/14/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm not sure why this is a big surprise? .. if mars has a liquid/molten core, which I believe has always been the thought as a non gaseous planet... then plate tectonics would seem to obvious.. I always assumed that to be true..

The nice thing about PROVING it I guess is that it enhances the possibility of microbial life at some layer below the surface because it will be warm enough and sufficiently shielded from radiation.. I already believe, as do quite a few scientists, that liquid water exists below the surface as well...

But I still always thought the molten core of mars was always believed to be true.. which would let to plate tectonics..

The only way mars WOULDN'T have a molten core in my mind is if it died so long ago that it's turned solid .. but with the evidence of frozen water and water vapor.. that seems unlikely ..

I'm personally very convinced we will one day find microbial life there... I'm just waiting for the announcement.. I just think it's going to be deep below the surface and microscopic for the most part..
edit on 8/14/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Is this like seriously a big deal or am I wrong?

This is big.

Edit - I would lose it if they sent a rover to Valles Marineris. That's my favorite spot on mars. It looks like a huge scar of the planet!

edit on 8/14/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

That is a very interesting place on mars indeed... I'd love to know the cause of it .. it makes the imagination wander..

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
My biggest fear is that Mars could represent the future earth ... you see clouds on mars with water vapor and a surface that is battered by radiation with hints of former lakes/rivers... imagine if that is what earth will be in a few million/billion years...

The ghosts of mars... I wish I could have seen mars millions of years ago .. unless mars represents an early earth that hasn't been hit with enough comets/meteors containing the proper elements to build an atmosphere to support life? .. eh? maybe mars represents early earth rather than late earth..

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Beautiful picture! I am hoping soon we will be allowed to see close up shots of the planet, may feel like we are standing right there! I know we have the camera technology now.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Beautiful picture! I am hoping soon we will be allowed to see close up shots of the planet, may feel like we are standing right there! I know we have the camera technology now.

No doubt.. makes me wish I were 10 rather than 34 ... I feel like we're still so early into our understanding of the universe, which we obviously are... we've learned so much in the time I've been alive and the years before... =) I don't want to be 90 when something big happens..

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

If you really want to take a walk on the wild side, go into Google Earth, switch to Google Mars, select "Flight Simulator", and fly an F-16 over it. It takes forever but it's awesome. It shows the scale if it.

And I tried climbing Olympus Mons. I crash into the volcano at like 65,000 feet every time!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
Wow! It’s well known (with water) there are organisms that can live exclusively on volcanic activity, en.wikipedia.org... and it’s also thought that volcanic activity could be what started the first life on Earth. If there is no life, and with so many conditions so right for it on Mars, that would make life on Earth very special indeed. Of course it could be they discovered some exotic kind of bio weapon, and want to keep it secret –in fact I believe 2 of them are for president this year!

Edit: Don't you hate it when "scientists" tell you "no" and then say maybe, and then say "yes". Mainstream science always says no first, but unless it's been proven in some experiment they have no right. I wish the the guys who said there was no such activity on Mars were sacked for not being scientists. After it's one thing to say "probably not" but another altogether to say "no".
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: Update

Seems like there is just about always a NO from mainstream science, I took to just waiting around for the change as they get more information. My husband agrees, I have been right 100% so far on all my calls when I believe they are wrong! Sometimes instinct can really guide you. I don't however expect them to say anything until they have proof, just wish they would not always act like they are SURE of things.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

If you really want to take a walk on the wild side, go into Google Earth, switch to Google Mars, select "Flight Simulator", and fly an F-16 over it. It takes forever but it's awesome. It shows the scale if it.

And I tried climbing Olympus Mons. I crash into the volcano at like 65,000 feet every time!

haha yeah I've done that before.. Mars is massive but still not the size of earth .. but we've still not been everywhere on THIS planet ...

We know earth, the moon and mars ... but the rest of our galaxy.... we've barely scratched the surface... crazy.. I wish I were immortal only so I could live long enough for us to fully have explored the planets in our galaxy..

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Wow had not idea you could do that! I will certainly give it a try! I find Mars very beautiful. I am a lover of the desert where i was raised. Would love it if we see a rodent scurry across one of the new photos!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

The article says, "The two plates divided by Mars' Valles Marineris have moved approximately 93 miles horizontally relative to each other, Yin said. California's San Andreas Fault, which is over the intersection of two plates, has moved about twice as much — but the Earth is about twice the size of Mars, so Yin said they are comparable."

I wonder if that means the San Andreas could one day be so deep like the mars trench.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Where is the confirmation?

OR is this speculation?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Which article?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BagBing

Which article?

www.enewspf.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Where is the confirmation?

OR is this speculation?

Certainly sounds like they confirmed.

www.enewspf.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

There is water, there is weather of a sort, what will they find next! I predict life in all forms, vegetable, insect, small animal and intelligence life underground, remnants of when the planet was very Earth like.

So??? I predict NO life what-so-ever!

Wake me up when you prove there is life on mars!

OK - no offense intended... but to date there is zero evidence that life exists elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

There is water, there is weather of a sort, what will they find next! I predict life in all forms, vegetable, insect, small animal and intelligence life underground, remnants of when the planet was very Earth like.

So??? I predict NO life what-so-ever!

Wake me up when you prove there is life on mars!

OK - no offense intended... but to date there is zero evidence that life exists elsewhere.

I like the idea that everyone forms opinions from what little we do know, I am sure whoever is right in the end, we all adjust our thinking accordingly as the facts come in! i am so excited personally! I just hope they will not keep us waiting forever as they learn more and not release the information to the public.

How do you feel about the possibility of plant life in the areas with moisture?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join