It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Cats Are Killing Machines: (Odd study but very interesting results/conclusion)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

University of Georgia researchers found that the carnage wrought by prowling kitties is much greater than previously thought. About 30 percent of the house cats in a recent study succeeded in slaying an average of two animals a week. "The previous estimates were probably too conservative because they didn't include the animals that cats ate or left behind,"

Lizards, snakes, and frogs made up 41 percent of the animals killed, while small mammals such as chipmunks and moles were 25 percent of the death toll. Insects and worms were another 20 percent, and birds 12 percent, the researchers said.

Lizards, snakes, and frogs made up 41 percent of the animals killed, while small mammals such as chipmunks and moles were 25 percent of the death toll. Insects and worms were another 20 percent, and birds 12 percent, the researchers said.

Source: www.newsmax.com...

Well, I have to say that I believe this study, since I recently moved to a more wooded area--- my cat has been on a killing spree.

I find the conclusion and linkage to the mass bird reductions around the world. Cats. Never thought of that. So, what is the solution?

I say no more than one cat per household. Any stray or unregistered cat would have to be dispatched of. I know that sounds cruel but we have to face reality. The common house hold cat has become so numerous that it is altering the normal flow of numbers for the bird population.

I like cats, don't get me wrong... but... I think there is WAY TO MANY on the planet. Don't believe me.. go to your nearest Pet Resuce Mission/Center. Take a look at the cats/kittens.

And, we don't want it to get out of hand... maybe they will overrun us someday...

"Lion eating a Nubian" (I assume from the Roman Days)

Makes you think twice about the little buggers... doesn't it.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Cats are awesome, mine brought in 4 mice the other day!

She's weaning her kittens bless

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
As long as responsible owners keep on spaying and neutering their cats (and dogs too), there really is no need to start slaying cats all over the place. I'm sure nature has found a way to balance things because if there was no abundance of cats around, we'd all be over run by rodents. Not good !

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
i really dislike cats, their too sneaky and you just never know what the damned things are thinking.
but they are loving animals and i understand why so many people like them. ill stick with mans best friend

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wow, I initially read your thread title wrong - I thought for a second it was saying that cats were taking machines and "killing" or disabling them.
I thought it was a strange claim, even for a conspiracy site.

On topic, yes, cats do have that instinct to kill. My cat is indoors only, but he has "killed" his little rat toy many times over.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

now that is funny!!! Killing -- Machines....

Interesting look at it. Kind of like a "Farside" cartoon concept.

Let me go looking.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
damned right they are killing machines. Martial artists from all sorts of cultures revere the cats efficiency, timing, agility, and ruthlessness. THink of all the martial arts around the world that have some sort of animal style. They emulate the cat for a reason. The chinese crack troops of the ming studied a style that was considered so dangerous that it was banned y the ching dynasty afterwards. The style uses a lot of tiger and leopard techniques to main and wreck the opponent very quickly.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Weren't cats the reason that larger cities in ancient Egypt were able to prosper? Cats killed all the pests like rats and snakes which were spreading decease and venom. They helped making our modern society possible.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

europeans once went on a cat-killing spree
plague bearing rats
and a decrease in the human population
were the result.

NO!

LEAVE THE KITTEHS ALONE!!!!

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
>>
I like cats, don't get me wrong... but... I think there is WAY TO MANY on the planet.
>>

You are a liar, a bad one. No one who likes cats (as we do here) would say something like that.

And yes, our cats (one of them in particular) brings all kinds of # home, right now it's lizards and giant dragonflies, and once in a while a bird. That's life.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Presumably somebody was paid to carry out this study. Awesome work if you can get it. Bet a meticulously executed 5 year study into the toilet habits of bears will find that they tend to do the poopy dance in wooded areas...

Seriously though, this is not news for cat owners. I'm well aware that mine is a pure bred terminator-esque killer. Now ferrets... ferrets are dangerous. The world needs to know just HOW dangerous. And their psychotic cousins, mink and polecats. Evil they are. Pure evil.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
although my buddies Boxer brings home rats, moles, rabbits even a skunk one time. So he's up there with cats. He almost as agile asa cat too. Well at least he's more agile than a rabbit.

I like cats. But I'm still a dog lover forever and cats will never upsurp dogs in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
We wasted money just so a bunch of researchers could tell the world something we already knew for eons? Seriously? *facepalm*

Outdoor cats will do what nature intended them to do--hunt the small pests we happen to detest. I'm very happy we have a bunch of feral cats in my area---we lack the rodent problem other neighborhoods have
Granted, none of my three cats venture outdoors, as they're strictly indoor cats, but they're still handy-dandy indoors. Who else is going to destroy these flying cockroaches that get indoors here in FL? Not me, I'm too busy screaming & dodging the things

edit on 8/20/2012 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

That's partly why my cat is an indoors-only cat (the other reason being dense traffic).

Unfortunately, my family's current cat likes to hunt other animals. However, he's not quick or clever enough to catch a squirrel or even a woodchuck.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I love cats!! I have been a cat lover since I was a kid. I use to ask for a Florida Panther for Christmas but never got one of course.
I have had cats most of my life and I just love them and their personalities.

My cat is a little killer with the fake mice but if there was a real one in her sights it wouldn't stand a chance! She is an indoor cat so she doesn't get to hunt wild life and bring it home. She hunts and slays her toy mice like crazy. She is Buffy The Mouse Slayer.

I have had cats esp the one when I was a kid that would bring dead animals to me all the time. It was a nice gesture but I didnt want dead birds or mice in my room.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by 420smokiesmalls

My cat has quite the personality and he will even fetch and beg for attention like a dog.

Tabbies are always personable but mine is a mix of an abyssinian and siamese.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
We have two house cats,we rarely take them outside,so maybe that is why they are so passive.But our two cats won't even kill the occasional bug in the house.They cry and look at it,then they come and look at me,as if to ask me to handle it.Sounds like I need to trade up for some better cats.Then my wife would probably try to trade me up.

But yeah I always enjoy watching more of an outside or wild cat hunt.They really are very deadly,I mean I'm sure most people have seen a cat just toying with a mouse or bird and having some fun before finishing it off.That is the way nature intended,and I see no problem with it.
edit on 20-8-2012 by KaiserSouszay because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
What do you expect of a predatory animal?

Of course they are going to kill things.... That is what they are designed to do! My last cat was one heck of a mouser I'll tell you what!

Dogs are also predatory animals and yes they kill things as well...
edit on 20-8-2012 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This isn't anything new. As an owl watcher, I have known for decades that housecats are now causing owls and other raptors a lot of problems finding food, since the housecat preys on same sources, and are now competing with the wild animals.

Even if you feed your cat a h earty diet, they will still have the desire to hunt.

A recent cat cam segment on CNN had owners shocked at their cats were found to be hunters, and didn't even know it.

It is funny.

secret lives of cats

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Cats are awesome, mine brought in 4 mice the other day!

She's weaning her kittens bless

+1

Mine likes to bring me "breakfast in bed" ... sometimes a "midnight snack" too

I am sure he is unknowingly contributing to the militarization of field mice in our immediate vicinity

The majority of "cat owners" have completed domesticated their cats though... between neutering/spaying/declawing
/and generally keeping them inside fed from a bowl.... they lose the need, desire, and/or ability to go hunt.

To say they need their population controlled is ridiculous when all they do is go out and kill to eat. I could name hundreds of humans who kill for fun or pleasure... what about controlling them instead??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join