It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dandy Comic to End after 75 Years.............

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Well I was sad to hear today of what could be the last days of a great comic called the Dandy.....

I don't know how familiar The Dandy is to people who live outside the UK, but the Dandy was always a comic that you looked forward to every week. In the 1970's I was always running down the newsagents to get a copy and remember the days with great fond memories.....

The Dandy began it's life way back in 1937, but has suffered circulation decline from 2 million readers in its heyday to below 8,000..........

apps.facebook.com...

The Dandy, the UK's oldest children's comic and home to cartoon strip characters including Desperate Dan, the cow-pie eating cowboy, is facing closure after 75 years.

In its heyday between the 1950s and 1980s, the Dandy sold 2m copies a week as young fans lapped up stories of Desperate Dan and Korky the Cat.

But it has suffered circulation decline since then as successive generations of children have grown out of the habit of reading weekly comics, with their free time given over instead to watching TV and more recently playing video games and surfing the internet.

But I suppose things change with time and children find new avenues to go down and all great things come to an end............

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great times I had as a child..............

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

desperate dan we hardly knew ye...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
sad news,I still have a pile of the annuals from the eighties.every boy I knew read them as kids(sisters too on the sly).
they turned Dan and the beanos Dennis the menace a bit soft over the last ten years.art reflecting reality maybe?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
sad news,I still have a pile of the annuals from the eighties.every boy I knew read them as kids(sisters too on the sly).
they turned Dan and the beanos Dennis the menace a bit soft over the last ten years.art reflecting reality maybe?

Yeah, I have thumbed through the occasional Dandy and Beano I have seen in the shops the last few years, but they don't seem that exciting any more and the art work doesn't seem right does it.........probably also due to the fact that I am an old f**t now....hahaha

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

I must admit I bought the first issue of beano max a few years ago.their was even a dalek in it.Dennis,bash street kids and a dalek,like a wet dream!wasn't so keen on their recent habit of putting so called celebs in the stories though.

new topics

top topics

join