It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was God doing before creation and why did he wait an eternity to create the Universe.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
He/She or Whatevers had no awareness (as we know it) at all because being outside of creation the cosmos is unfathomably lonely , or , very boring indeed, so if he did exist I assume that he is insane by now..........................................
BUT WAIT !
That cannot be true because the order and beauty and logic of the universe is infinite , so therefore I must assume that the premise Is baldly flawed and the creation of some collage professor with a confused and weak mind. I would like to toss him into hyperspace for a few years , or perhaps have him take an eternity so solve the question himself.

edit on 17-8-2012 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
I think that according to modern creationist theory everything must have been created and designed by a higher power, or it would be chaos, a bit like a tornado in a junk-yard making a Boeing 747.

So I think along that theory that our God must have been created by a bigger God.
And that God was created by an even bigger God ... and so forth in creationism to infinity.

So our God was waiting to be created by a bigger God.
He didn't just evolve or appear - God was created too.
Then he created our universe, which has infinite cycles.

It explodes from a tiny point and reduces back to that eventually, and then it repeats.
That's some scientific theory I saw.
They said the big bang was a hit and miss between two dimensions, like two waving sheets that happen to collide every few billion years.
When they do collide it all expands, and eventually it all contracts.
Then it rests and starts again.

In Hindu thought this is not so strange.
Everything in the material universe is a cycle.
The God-head is the creator and destroyer of worlds and universes.
edit on 13-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

The theory you give about the cyclical nature of all creation, Gods of those regions and their 'pecking order' makes perfect sense to me, and is exactly how it is explained according to the philosophy or science of the soul which I follow.

Everything that is has been. Millions of times. And will be again.

Where you say (in one of your later posts) something in the line of, "we will laugh at ourselves when we realise how very little understanding we have about the entire God situation" it sounds to me like one of the statements closest to the truth made in this thread. We are utterly ignorant of it all. Even though scientists and religions claim to be so advanced, they truly have but a grain of knowledge... if that.

Surely we cannot expect to use intellect which is totally bound to this material world to try and reason about something that is of a totally different nature (spirit). How typical of man, to want to view Him as if though He Himself is a man, confined to laws, rules and limits! Sitting there, waiting, contemplating, as if though he is a man on a chair with a watch on his arm.

It is also interesting that every region is but a bad/coarse reflection of the one that precedes it, loosing depth and beauty as one descends to the level below. Based on this theory the Gods of the different regions are also ever more splendid as one ascends and finally.... Utter Infinite Perfection.... incomprehensible to us.

While many do not seem to see the purpose of this topic and post, it must be said that man's fascination with his existence is a sure sign of a spirit that wants to seek, grow, love, live, find, and dance. One that is intrigued by his circumstance in the big picture of it all will surely advance at some point to where he finds that hidden treasure which lies within him.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

What you do, you put a belief system here ("God created the universe with the big bang") and then ask "logical questions" trying to resolve potential holes/questions about the belief system with science. This won't work, i am afraid. Your question is therefore already flawed, it can't be answered.

You believe, eg. God created the universe (which you are certainly free to do so)..then (in my opinion) you shouldn't have a problem with the idea that there was an eternity before creation or wondering what was "before" creation.

The other alternative is to tackle this from a scientific perspective, then we can talk, but i don't think this is this thread's purpose.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
The thought experiment just doesn't work because you're trying to put God into a time frame.

Which you also did when you said this:

God created time.

That's a paradoxical statement if you believe god is eternal. The very act of creating something requires time. It implies that there wasn't something one moment, and the next moment there was.

From a timeless perspective all of time already exists along with everything else imaginable. Us finite beings are just perceiving a finite section of it.

There's no actual creation, only realization.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by circlemaker

Man created the idea of time. Time technically doesn't exist, but entropy does. Entropy is a measurable, observable decay in organization.

en·tro·py/ˈentrəpē/Noun:

1.A thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often...
2.Lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.

Man created "time" in order to measure the progress of entropy. A world without time is a world without progress, in man's view. And if there is one thing we desire, it's progress, because progress, no matter what direction it takes, gives our reality the feel of purpose. And purpose lends value. Value generates meaning. And if there is one thing we're all desperate for, it's to believe that our existence is not random. It has an aim, a purpose, a direction, a value, and intention. It has a meaning. We must feel as though there's a reason, as though our presence is worthwhile. And that's why we created time, to support that illusion. It laid the groundwork for building the idea that we're here to do something. It may not be an illusion, but we USE it as an illusion. Reality is in the mind, correct?

"God" did not create time. We did. Just as we created our ideal of "God".

edit on 17-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker

SO, based on your logic, if you find a downed tree in an unexplored part of the forest. It didn't grow, age, and eventually fall. It just appeared there the moment you looked at it?

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

You believe, eg. God created the universe (which you are certainly free to do so)..then (in my opinion) you shouldn't have a problem with the idea that there was an eternity before creation or wondering what was "before" creation.

Ah, but now YOU have a flawed premise, sir. Flawed as in you're expecting what is inherently unable to be expected.

Allow me to explain. You say we are free to believe that "God" caused the controversial "Big Bang". But then you say we must be able to consider the idea that "God" first spent an eternity with his thumb up his butt, because that's a plausible scenario.

You say we must consider it, and that because we have, in our minds, a firm idea of "God" creating the "Big Bang,", we must also have a firm idea of what he was doing beforehand. The flaw in this is that you are expecting a firm, reasonable answer, when the nature of the question is that there IS no firm, reasonable answer. All we can do is speculate. So yes, if we have this idea, we're more than welcome to it.

But the inherent nature of that idea is that there ARE no definite answers. It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. How to think, how to reason, how to deduce, and how to formulate a coherent solution that holds water. Even if you don't come up with an answer, you've learned how to. Who cares what was before? Even though you still don't have an answer, you've still learned something.

And that means you still succeeded.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

Doesn't matter because God had/has his own infinite timetable and what went on before creation was for Him to know alone. If he wants us to know he'll find a way to tell us or to let us find out.

I know it's a simple answer, but it's the only one that is really acceptable.
On that note, a little mystery does keep the imagination going doesn't it.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I know it's a simple answer, but it's the only one that is really acceptable.

Acceptable implies a choice of whether to pass it as truth or deny it as false. If there's a choice being made, either you haven't found the truth or you don't like it.

Either way, acceptable is a highly subjective term, and very finicky for this particular usage. So no, it's not acceptable. It's YOUR version of acceptable. And I'm not willing to settle for your version of anything in this topic. I may consider it, but I won't "accept" it, per se.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DCLXVI

It all probably happened in what seems like a second for us. An entity that is "eternity" could process/comprehend a lot more things at once than we could... I would imagine haha

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

SO, based on your logic, if you find a downed tree in an unexplored part of the forest. It didn't grow, age, and eventually fall. It just appeared there the moment you looked at it?

Yes and no. Relativistically, no. Informationally, yes. I understand time from two different perspectives. When we look out into space for example, we're looking into the relativistic past but the informational present. All new information that comes into our awareness is connected to old information, regardless of where we are on the relativistic timeline.

Whether we create or discover something it's all just a realization because from an infinite perspective it already existed. We're merely becoming aware of it.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoOfYFoOt

Yes and no. Relativistically, no. Informationally, yes. I understand time from two different perspectives. When we look out into space for example, we're looking into the relativistic past but the informational present. All new information that comes into our awareness is connected to old information, regardless of where we are on the relativistic timeline.

Whether we create or discover something it's all just a realization because from an infinite perspective it already existed. We're merely becoming aware of it.

AH! As I've believed for some time as well.
God, is all-knowing. Therefore, all information, including all hidden or future knowledge, already exists.
SO a "new" idea, is simply accessing this cosmic library that is God, as Everything springs from Him.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It's a mind boggling question for sure, because even if we do agree that that the earth and the universe are billions of years old. I think the consensus is that the universe is like over 14 billion years old, what was God doing 100 trillion years BEFORE that? And if you could place a time marker then, what was he doing 100 trillion years before that?
And so on and so on, it's like looking into reflections of reflections of mirrors.
I don't think the human mind can fully grasp this concept.
Did God get lonely after infinite eons alone ?
Did he just get bored ?

It's cool to think he created a new dimension, a physical one, when he lived in a non-physical spiritual one.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by circlemaker

Man created the idea of time. Time technically doesn't exist, but entropy does. Entropy is a measurable, observable decay in organization.

en·tro·py/ˈentrəpē/Noun:

1.A thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often...
2.Lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.

Man created "time" in order to measure the progress of entropy. A world without time is a world without progress, in man's view. And if there is one thing we desire, it's progress, because progress, no matter what direction it takes, gives our reality the feel of purpose. And purpose lends value. Value generates meaning. And if there is one thing we're all desperate for, it's to believe that our existence is not random. It has an aim, a purpose, a direction, a value, and intention. It has a meaning. We must feel as though there's a reason, as though our presence is worthwhile. And that's why we created time, to support that illusion. It laid the groundwork for building the idea that we're here to do something. It may not be an illusion, but we USE it as an illusion. Reality is in the mind, correct?

"God" did not create time. We did. Just as we created our ideal of "God".

great post.

I wonder if aliens are concerned with time.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33

that's actually the crux of this whole subject. I'm sure even much more advanced brains than ours (take human consciousness as compared to gold fish consciousness for example) can't even comprehend it otherwise they would be "God" and not finite physical (or even extra-dimensional) beings.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I agree, and that's what's confusing me. How can you say that the human mind can't fully grasp this stuff, and yet you pretend you understand all of it, to the point that we're idiots and you're not?

That goes for the rest of the Christians, Catholics, Judaics, whatever here as well.
edit on 19-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
God didn't "create" anything. God is light and light makes up this entire physical existence. We are not "made" by god, we are a part of God.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
my theory is that God was doing the same thing before the creation that God is doing now...being the singularity from which all the creation flows.

what's eternity to something that is eternal? if the question, 'why wait an eternity?" was asked of God, would God necessarily know what was being talked about?

time is for the creation it seems, not the eternal;

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

I believe, somewhere in the Bible, there is a line saying in the Second Coming, Jesus will reign for a thousand years.

...Okay, so what happens after that!? I tell you, in my opinion, these things were left deliberately vague. Why it was done that way, is anyone's guess.

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There is no big bang, the universe has existed in one form or another always, forever, and all souls are infinite as well, though upgrade/progress and grow in size.

Fractal Zoom Mandelbrot Corner

The only problem with this is you can't start with a ONE, for there are infinite One-1111111111111111111111...............'s, forever, and you would simply starting somehwere in that fractal, but even the fractals are infinite in shape and variety.

Beyond our Universe - Infinity Zoom [HD]

Brain is a projector, projecting thoughts, and we never really left Home, couldn't, but interact in this "lab", this school.

Reach within to the infinity there.
edit on 1-9-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join