It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan's position on economic issues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Paul Ryan is a great choice for Romney.

Back when Clinton was in, Clinton had to do some tough things with the budget that a lot of people didn't like (like cutting the military and our hardware) but he got the budget under control. He sacrificed some areas in order to save the majority. Paul Ryans plans do much the same. His budget ideas are tough and some are hard for some to take, but he can make it work and he can save the majority.

Also - Ryan wants to bring back the Clinton-Era 'work for welfare' program that Obama inexplicably destroyed. It was a good program (kudos to Clinton) and the fact that Ryan wants to reestablish it gets a
from me.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

Im all for you,,, I agree and I think if man could truly be trusted to not screw over the consumer then there would be no such thing as government and everything would be private,,, I dont trust unregulated for profit corporations to have my best interests,,

And they won't, but guess what? In an unfettered competitive capitalist economy, they don't get away with it very long!

Let's get something straight on HOW we got to where we are on our health care system, which I'm 100% behind needs to be brought under control.

In the beginning God created...oops, wrong book...

In the beginning health insurance was for CATASTROPHIC health care needs. You paid your way and your health insurance was for if something MAJOR happened to you that tended to be beyond the average man's ability to pay for.

Then...then a dangerous and STUPID trend began. Healthcare coverage for EVERYTHING. No longer did you pay your doctor for the visit and pay for whatever medicine was available at that time, but insurance started paying for more and more. And as insurance began to pay the pharma-medico-industry blossom into a kazillion dollar industry fueled by the newly found honey pot. Then...those who believe that those who do not have should have what those who can afford to have pushed to make sure that the government also gave that excessive health care coverage to people who couldn't even afford to pay the premiums themselves. Which led to BUREACRACY creating a bloated out of control system where the honey pot turned into an ocean of suffocatingly sweet molasses and you have the current free-for-all.

Hospitals built and decorated like 5 star hotels....pharmaceutical companies charging thousands and thousands of dollars for a single prescription on certain drugs.

And people suing every time they don't get well so they can get part of the honey pot.

THAT is what led to where we are. Just like US CONSUMERS need to buy greener, use greener and generally live greener, we also need to grow up and realize that if we stub our friggin toe we need to walk it off and if we don't have the backbone to do so, we need to pay for the doctor visit. We need to learn that the damned ER is not for colds and sniffels and little owies. We need to learn how to take an OTC aspirin when we have a headache, or try some homeopathic remedies.

WE'RE SPOILED ROTTEN.
edit on 8-11-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

reply to post by Valhall

what does government subsidizing of a private company mean and do?

Who said anything about subsidizing anybody? I didn't.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Back when Clinton was in, Clinton had to do some tough things with the budget that a lot of people didn't like (like cutting the military and our hardware) but he got the budget under control. He sacrificed some areas in order to save the majority. Paul Ryans plans do much the same. His budget ideas are tough and some are hard for some to take, but he can make it work and he can save the majority.

Also - Ryan wants to bring back the Clinton-Era 'work for welfare' program that Obama inexplicably destroyed. It was a good program (kudos to Clinton) and the fact that Ryan wants to reestablish it gets a
from me.

when clinton cut military spending were there a lot of attacks on american soil? did we lose a lot of freedom? were we still at war in other countries?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

from me.

when clinton cut military spending were there a lot of attacks on american soil? did we lose a lot of freedom? were we still at war in other countries?

Well, lest anybody from the right side of this argument wants to re-write history, I will tell you that there were still threats, we had the war in Kosovo start up at that time, and Clinton was raked over the coals because our military didn't have the equipment some believed they needed. There were news reports of attack helicopter rotors having to be taped on the leading edge with duct tape (that's where the "300 mile an hour duct tape" phrase came from) because the military didn't have the budget to repair the delamination on them.

And some how, at the same time, we didn't get overran by a foreign country. Our brave men were still able to fight effectively, and we made it.

Nothing is sacred when you need to fix the country. The military is just as bloated as anything else in the government right now. If we'd learn to stay out of other people's business, downsizing the military won't be all that difficult.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Im all for you,,, I agree and I think if man could truly be trusted to not screw over the consumer then there would be no such thing as government and everything would be private,,, I dont trust unregulated for profit corporations to have my best interests,,

And they won't, but guess what? In an unfettered competitive capitalist economy, they don't get away with it very long!

Let's get something straight on HOW we got to where we are on our health care system, which I'm 100% behind needs to be brought under control.

In the beginning health insurance was for CATASTROPHIC health care needs. You paid your way and your health insurance was for if something MAJOR happened to you that tended to be beyond the average man's ability to pay for.

Then...then a dangerous and STUPID trend began. Healthcare coverage for EVERYTHING. No longer did you pay your doctor for the visit and pay for whatever medicine was available at that time, but insurance started paying for more and more. And as insurance began to pay the pharma-medico-industry blossom into a kazillion dollar industry fueled by the newly found honey pot. Then...those who believe that those who do not have should have what those who can afford to have pushed to make sure that the government also gave that excessive health care coverage to people who couldn't even afford to pay the premiums themselves. Which led to BUREACRACY creating a bloated out of control system where the honey pot turned into an ocean of suffocatingly sweet molasses and you have the current free-for-all.

Hospitals built and decorated like 5 star hotels....pharmaceutical companies charging thousands and thousands of dollars for a single prescription on certain drugs.

And people suing every time they don't get well so they can get part of the honey pot.

THAT is what led to where we are. Just like US CONSUMERS need to buy greener, use greener and generally live greener, we also need to grow up and realize that if we stub our friggin toe we need to walk it off and if we don't have the backbone to do so, we need to pay for the doctor visit. We need to learn that the damned ER is not for colds and sniffels and little owies. We need to learn how to take an OTC aspirin when we have a headache, or try some homeopathic remedies.

WE'RE SPOILED ROTTEN.

once again very well stated and i agree
I just dont trust that unregulated capitalism would work as smoothly as you suggest.. the main reason being,, corporations still screw over the consumer and things are "too" regulated.... years after the fact we find companies used lead in their paint or poison in their products,,, corporations will sell death if theres a buyer,, why do a million different candy companies exist in a modern intelligent world,, we know its not good for our kids,, we know its made of artificial preservatives,, as well as all the other food we eat,,which we eat because its the cheapest,, and its the cheapest because the quality is the lowest its the best to produce for profit,, people say quality over quantity,, i say a society of quality and quantity is possible..

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

WE'RE SPOILED ROTTEN.

once again very well stated and i agree
I just dont trust that unregulated capitalism would work as smoothly as you suggest.. the main reason being,, corporations still screw over the consumer and things are "too" regulated.... years after the fact we find companies used lead in their paint or poison in their products,,, corporations will sell death if theres a buyer,, why do a million different candy companies exist in a modern intelligent world,, we know its not good for our kids,, we know its made of artificial preservatives,, as well as all the other food we eat,,which we eat because its the cheapest,, and its the cheapest because the quality is the lowest its the best to produce for profit,, people say quality over quantity,, i say a society of quality and quantity is possible..

I will be clear on something. I think the healthcare industry is so out of control that some form of regulation needs to be in place AT FIRST until the situation is to the point that the CONSUMER drives the industry instead of the industry holding the market hostage. So while I stated "unfettered capitalist economy" I want to be clear I think regulations need to be placed on the pharma-medico industry for the time being that brings some accountability to the situation.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Attacks on American Soil? Yes. NYC and overseas assets. 9/11 was planned during the Clinton years.
Lose a lot of Freedom? Definately. Loss of freedom with dems and republicans in office.
War in other Countries? Yes. Kosovo ring a bell? The asprin factory bombing? etc etc

Clinton flexes his muscles - foreign policies and where our military went 'active'
Clinton threatens Libya, calls Qaddafi 'creature'

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Attacks on American Soil? Yes. NYC and overseas assets. 9/11 was planned during the Clinton years.
Lose a lot of Freedom? Definately. Loss of freedom with dems and republicans in office.
War in other Countries? Yes. Kosovo ring a bell? The asprin factory bombing? etc etc

Clinton flexes his muscles - foreign policies and where our military went 'active'
Clinton threatens Libya, calls Qaddafi 'creature'

Yes, but I don't think you can tie this back to the military budget at the time. I think we'd be hard-pressed to make that argument. There was a complacency that was taking place. It lasted all the way up into the first 9 months of Bush's administration. And to be fair, it got worse AFTER Bush took office because at least Clinton was taking the terrorist threat serious and holding regular discussions with his intelligence director. Bush just stopped meeting with him. The director made several requests to update Bush and Bush wouldn't meet with him.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

im curious to know, if anything obama has done has greatly and directly effected you in a negative way? Also if you think romoney will be much different?

Now that is a conundrum isn't it?

1. His totally failed recovery plan has effected all Americans. You might say that no one could correct Bush's bag of crap in four years, but I disagree. Much of the state we are in right now is all Obama, the inflation we see now is all Obama's spending, his spending has been totally wasteful with little or no results with a trillion dollars, and more importantly he fails to recognize his mistakes, and fails to do anything different than what he has been doing in the last four years for our recovery.

2. He has failed the Democrats in a great way. Not only did he not follow through with his big promise of a "transparent" Government but he is most likely the worst President to date at not being transparent. He has been the worst for FOIA, He doesn't allow questions, ever, when around the media, he has closed so many doors no one really knows what he is doing...why?

3. He is ripping our freedoms to shred. Compared to Bush, if both were robbers Bush stole a pack of cigarettes and Obama robbed a bank. Not only has Obama not done away with any of Bush's freedom reducing actions, another failed promise, he has beefed them up and used them as shields, the bottom line is Obama has gone totally bonkers in ripping the constitution apart. Obamacare will totally remove MY freedom to pick my healthcare, and it will be much worst care in the end. He has also totally bypass Congress every step of the way, if Congress doesn't do what he wants he just bypasses it, and that all by itself is extremely bothersome. He has put 40 plus Czars into offices that has totally bypassed the Congress, Take a look at his Executive Orders and you will also see a trend that he uses them to bypass Congress for many things that should go through congress.

And lastly, He has done all this and more (I don't feel like typing for days to get my point across) with restraints in place of the fear of re-election. Just think what he will do once re-elected and the restraints are all removed.

A honest questions to the Democrats...

Is he really what you voted for? Is he really going the direction you want?

edit on 11-8-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I don't agree with you. Bush didn't just steal a pack of cigarettes and, yes, his military machine led to the beginning of an out-of-control national debt. The PATRIOT Act was NOT just a pack of cigarrettes...it's an abomination. And the man literally did say that the constitution was just a piece of paper. I'm not giving him any breaks on his own sins.

But unlike Bush, who I think was on the border of crazy before he left office, Obama seems to be pulling all his nation-killing, right-eliminating acts on purpose. I can't justify anything Obama has done in 4 years. Not a single thing. I can't find anything to point to that I could claim "Okay, that had a good purpose." That's scary.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I wasn't dis'n Clinton. Actually, as the years go by, and bozo after bozo is elected to be POTUS and/or runs to be POTUS, I'm finding myself looking back at his fiscal policies and wishing people now would be more like him (fiscally speaking ... ).

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Valhall

I wasn't dis'n Clinton. Actually, as the years go by, and bozo after bozo is elected to be POTUS and/or runs to be POTUS, I'm finding myself looking back at his fiscal policies and wishing people now would be more like him (fiscally speaking ... ).

Amen sister, amen!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I totally agree with everything you just said .... from Bush going nutz (especially the last two years of being in office - IMHO) right down to not being able to justify anything Obama is doing. Totally agree.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
This is going to be a wild ride. Paul Ryan schooled Obama in 6:12 minutes on his health care plan.
I am glad Romney picked this intelligent man. He would make a good leader IMHO.

Whatever dirt gets flung at Ryan might as well be thrown at a fan.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

Problem is I see Romney, and Ryan continuing this.....

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Obama seems to be pulling all his nation-killing, right-eliminating acts on purpose. I can't justify anything Obama has done in 4 years. Not a single thing. I can't find anything to point to that I could claim "Okay, that had a good purpose." That's scary.

Very good point, Val. No matter who is in office, whether it's 'our' guy or 'their' guy, no matter who the President was, 'that' guy has always been an open book. Historically, we could ALWAYS see where the administration was headed, or the purpose behind certain decisions. Whether we agreed, or disagreed, was always the argument. We no longer have that. This administration isn't 'readable'. This administration seems to always be anti-American. Against the grain. Nothing. Not ONE THING can I think of...seriously, not a single decisions can I look back and go,"hmmm, okay maybe I don't agree but I do see his point".

I could not and still can not stand Clinton...wait, PELOSI! Now that woman scares the bejeesus out of me. I'd leave the town she was visiting, may be even the state. But, I can say that even that witch seems (seems) to have some Americans (perhaps very few), but some Americans in her decision making processes. I can not think of one single positive thing this administration has said about this country, done for this country, nor have they represented this country in any positive light abroad. If someone can remind me of one thing, then I'll modestly admit being wrong.

This administration is really really scary.
edit on 11-8-2012 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Valhall

Well, I hope not. And the deal is there isn't anything I can find that backs that. So I'm going with the choice that currently presents proposals that will address the economic issues of my country. Until such time as something is presented that sways me otherwise, this ticket is our hope. I want my country fix. Obama is only going to continue (as I previously stated unfettered now) to unfix it. I do have historical data on that one.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Yeah, I believe I actually let loose a hallelujah when Pelosi got knocked off her perch mid-term. At least I didn't have to look at her face anymore. She had been become the poster child for psychosis run rampant, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
reply to post by Valhall

Well then, let's vote someone else in after four years. If the new Administration prove to be the same, vote another administration in four years after that. Let's keep on doing it until we get the right people in office.

The problem is that the President is no longer courting us after the first four years. We can not afford to keep someone simply because we think the 'other' may be worse or the same. At least it is only four years. The second four years is the most dangerous!

Worse case scenario: They'll all start shmoozing us Americans and give us what we want (at least in the first term).
edit on 11-8-2012 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join