It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Forced to Work in Prison Sues Under Anti-Slavery Amendment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Prison is big biz.

Prisoners are free labor.

Modern day slavery

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
To some extent I would say yes.

We are all slaves in the modern world. Even the rich are slaves to their egos.

Water, food and shelter are 'owned', forcing a compromise to obtain basics of life.

On top of that you add the lie of currency and the mind job of capitalism/consumerism to the mix.

Now you are in a world of have or have not. In a nation that is defined by a social caste (1st, 2nd, 3rd).

The majority of the world is a slave to survival before they become a slave to the culture and further propagation of lies through ISMs (e.g. - patriotism, consumerism).

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Interesting view of enslavement. Isn't community service voluntary enslavement agreed upon under duress? If a non-convicted person is offered a "plea deal" whereby he agrees to work 300 hours for free, to keep from going to trial and possibly jail, isn't that duress creating the agreement? Aren't most plea deals duress derived contracts, under the "do this or that might happen" offer? And isn't community service working for others without pay to pay off a wholly arbitrary calculated debt?

While I am well familiar with how we justify this action: criminals have to pay back society - the society=company that gets profits from their labor but not the entire society as a whole, and this is how we keep them from doing bad things again. I recognize how we back-engineered the reason, but in the end isn't CC service involuntary servitude?

Where is it written a "Crime" and some form of custody means slave laboring as penance? After 2000 years of this, are we who can wind up in the slammer still under the delusion that this does anything but benefit the few and anger the enslaved? What proof do we have that this system stops crime?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join