It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Gauss', new computer virus that can spy on finance transactions, found in Middle East Read m

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

'Gauss', new computer virus that can spy on finance transactions, found in Middle East Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

www.otta wacitizen.com

BOSTON (Reuters) - A new cyber surveillance virus has been found in the Middle East that can spy on financial transactions, email and social networking activity, according to a leading computer security firm, Kaspersky Lab.

Dubbed Gauss, the virus may also be capable of attacking critical infrastructure and was built in the same laboratories as Stuxnet, the computer worm widely believed to have been used by the United States and Israel to attack Iran's nuclear program, Kaspersky Lab said on-
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-8-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Should I be flattered?
The moment I saw this in a Swedish newspaper I knew I had to start a thread about it here.

On the serious side, viruses seem to be all the rage these days. And if the same people is behind it as were behind Stuxnet, Flame and Duqu, as suggested in the article, it doesn't take a genius to figure out who's behind the people that are behind it, so to speak.

www.otta wacitizen.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Links won't work for some reason, but the first link works.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gauss
Links won't work for some reason, but the first link works.

I believe you have a space in the tag. You have [/ url] Eliminate the space between the slash and the tag and the links should work.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I might suggest that the practice of saving interesting and informative things to the hard drive off the internet is a very good thing.

Iran and others keep getting zapped with highly targeted and very sophisticated viruses and this is at a time the U.S. has repeatedly made the statement that Cyberwar against us could be seen and responded to as real acts of war. Is it idiocy or arrogance? We're doing exactly that to others, it would seem.

I kinda admired Stuxnet. Inventive...effective as hell and downright funny in imaging the end results and the scene it caused..without fatalities as I recall ?

As a routine course of business though? Umm.. Hey, the same schools that produce our hackers and crackers produce theirs by foreign students or their OWN Universities (Hmm..Rumor has it they actually have a school or two.. lol) Eventually this glass house we're throwing stones from is going to get a hailstorm of response .....and our computer security as a whole in the US is REAL REAL thin glass to be standing under.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Part of your link is missing.

Copy paste this.
www.ottawacitizen.com...
edit on 9-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You're right, dude, and while viruses may save lives in the short run, just imagine when they start sending us viruses that cripples our healthcare, or our emergency services. It'll be like picked out of a season of 24. I guess what I'm saying is, in the short run this kind of behavior saves lives - but in the long run it's going to shift the casualties from soldiers to innocent civilians.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It smells to me
made in the usa and assembled in the middle east!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
A previously unknown font "Palida Narrow" is installed onto all computers infected by the Gauss malware.
You can quickly check your system for the Palida Narrow font at : gauss.crysys.hu...
edit on 10-8-2012 by meticulous because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
edit on 11-8-2012 by nobodysavedme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

it would be great if this virus was reprogrammed to expose all the tax evading thieving billionaires who have hidden the loot in the cayman islands and that robbers haven the swiss bank account.

i don't understand why the swiss have not been been to stop all the stolen wealth being hidden there.

some kind of sanctions are in order.

just imagine if all that $13 TRILLION loot from these 94000 thieving and very greedy robbers was stolen from these greedy thieving money grabbing scum and redistributed.

imagine that.

top topics

join