It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympics spectator with Parkinson's wants 'exoneration' after arrest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

www.guardian.co.uk

A man with Parkinson's disease who was arrested during the Olympic men's cycling road race while sitting beside the route has said he wants a "letter of exoneration" from Surrey police, claiming their treatment of him was disproportionate.

Mark Worsfold, 54, a former soldier and martial arts instructor, was arrested on 28 July for a breach of the peace shortly before the cyclists arrived in Redhouse Park, Leatherhead, where he had sat down on a wall to watch the race. Officers from Surrey police restrained and handcuffed him, and took him to Reigate police station, saying his behaviour
(visit the link for the full news article)

As some people are angry at me for the title and are defending the London Police I'll link the first article which I found on the subject which in is Portuguese written by a Brazilian jornalist who is in London.

Spectator with Parkison disease becomes a suspect for 'not smiling' and end up arrested by policemen.

www.uol.com.br
(visit the link for the full news article and use google translator)
edit on 8-8-2012 by Zedux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Things are getting worse by the hour. We know the UK is the testing ground for all sorts of NWO 'BS' but this is way too far. Did the cameras scan him and decided he was a threat or did the police "officers" realized that all by themselves?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

As some people are angry at me for the title and are defending the London Police I'll link the first article which I found on the subject which in is Portuguese written by a Brazilian jornalist who is in London.

Spectator with Parkison disease becomes a suspect for 'not smiling' and end up arrested by policemen.

www.uol.com.br
(visit the link for the full news article and use google translator)
edit on 8-8-2012 by Zedux because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zedux

Things are getting worse by the hour. We know the UK is the testing ground for all sorts of NWO 'BS' but this is way too far. Did the cameras scan him and decided he was a threat or did the police "officers" realized that all by themselves?

Don't be ridiculous...

You seem to be leaving out bits here (and the Guardian even hint they are leaving out bits too)..

A man seen acting in an odd manner, next to a group of protesters and also had in his possession a number of knives, later found to be fake "display" items, but enough to warrant removing him as the race was approaching. Why on earth would someone walk around with "fake" knives?

Imagine a scenario where there is someone who is slightly unhinged, grabbing a competitor as he came past and holding him hostage with "knives" or threatening people. He would probably get himself shot in the process.. There'd be a 30 page thread on ATS about that, how the Police failed and all the security was a waste of time...

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Welcome North Kor.. sorry Britain where it is illegal not to smile at any olympic venue, can t blame the police though, they were probably told by the IOC to do it

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Sensationalist thread title is sensationalist.

Read the whole story. The man was arrested for being suspicious, like another poster stated.

Surrey police said: "There were a number of factors which led officers to make this arrest, including the fact that the race was rapidly approaching, the heightened level of security due to the high-profile nature of the event and the sheer number of spectators in attendance. These were fully explained to the individual concerned. He was given words of advice and released with no further action."

vvv
edit on 8-8-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

BS Story. Actual title: Olympics spectator with Parkinson's wants 'exoneration' after arrest

Read the Story, People!

I can't believe this sensationalistic crap passes on ATS for breaking news!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

He is a martial arts instructor and the knives he possesed were made of rubber.

Rubber knives are used in some martial arts schools usually as tools for aiding class on how to disarm an attacker.

Visually, martial arts rubber knives are, generally, obvious about their non-lethal nature even more so than kids' toys.

At least this is what I understood from reading the article.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Zedux

BS Story. Actual title: Olympics spectator with Parkinson's wants 'exoneration' after arrest

Read the Story, People!

I can't believe this sensationalistic crap passes on ATS for breaking news!

I can't believe someone like you can be that dumb! Ofcourse the media will try to spin things around. FACT was he was arrested for not "smiling" not because he was carrying some rubber knives which by the way were only found LATER!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I got raided by the armed police for a cap gun, which I stupidly pointed at trick or treaters and fired, yes the kids all ran away laughing when they heard the cap pop, but the passerby/neighbour who phoned the police seen a gun, he/she didn't know it was a toy, it looked real enough from a distance I guess.

Point is, the guy had knives, real or rubber, not everyone can tell the difference.

The police acted appropriately and arrested the man, had they been real, and he stabbed someone, there would have been an uproar.

The police and security have their work cut out for them with the Olympics, give them a break.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

I can't believe someone like you can be that dumb! Ofcourse the media will try to spin things around. FACT was he was arrested for not "smiling" not because he was carrying some rubber knives which by the way were only found LATER!

Mate

Refer to this:

Surrey police said: "There were a number of factors which led officers to make this arrest, including the fact that the race was rapidly approaching, the heightened level of security due to the high-profile nature of the event and the sheer number of spectators in attendance. These were fully explained to the individual concerned. He was given words of advice and released with no further action."

and also this:

The statement said: "Surrey police has received a letter from the man in which he has said that he 'fully understands and appreciates the action taken by officers'. He has also said that he 'appreciated and thanked both the arresting officers for their apologies and explanations' following his release."

Then please apologize for posting a sensational thread title "Man arrested for not smiling at Olympics". I see you changed it now, probably realizing your folly.

vvv

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but we'd rather not have people wandering around in public with knives, rubber or otherwise. Unless you are dressed like a pirate, then it's all good.

edit on 8-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Who's having a Bad Hair Day?

The OP is just stating what it said in the Headlines.

Mark Worsfold, 54, says he was handcuffed by Surrey police officers 'for not smiling' while watching men's cycling road race

edit on 8-8-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Who's having a Bad Hair Day? The OP is just stating what it said in the Headlines. Olympics spectator with Parkinson's wants 'exoneration' after arrest
reply to post by Pedro4077

No, the OP, changed the thread title, after he was told its BS.
It was originally "Spectator arrested for not smiling at the Olympic Games"

vvv

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Who's having a Bad Hair Day? The OP is just stating what it said in the Headlines. Olympics spectator with Parkinson's wants 'exoneration' after arrest

No, the OP, changed the thread title, after he was told its BS.
It was originally "Spectator arrested for not smiling at the Olympic Games"

vvv

OK - Johnny Came Lately

Shame on You OP.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

If they never acted and he did have real knives you guys would be whistling a
whole different conspiracy tune..I do security, and it is my job to act on anything suspicious
at all when there is people involved

If i did not...then i wouldn't be doing my job savvy?
edit on 8-8-2012 by denver22 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I never want to live with what i could of prevented etc for the rest of my life.
Same goes for a high profile event like the olympics .. you act
on what your trained for besides the man obviously accepted why he had been
arrested for in the first place hence the letter the guy wrote.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Who's having a Bad Hair Day?
Look at my avatar it isn't me lol- joke

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

When you read the "Whole" story it's a totally justified arrest. Keep up the good work

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm think some of the people on here could write articles for the Daily Mail.....

If you read the whole thing in the Guardian the man was arrested for a number of factors, including: being close to some protesters (so police would be especially vigilant here), he was acting strange (he has a muscle problem which would affect his facial expression) and if you know anything about people's behaviour; facial expression and body language can be key indicators of impending violence....
...and to be fair, he should know better than to be carrying replica weapons near an Olympic event in this kind of climate; He was, or is, a martial arts instructor and an ex soldier so he should know the score with that.

Plus he has already written to the police:
"Surrey police has received a letter from the man in which he has said that he 'fully understands and appreciates the action taken by officers'. He has also said that he 'appreciated and thanked both the arresting officers for their apologies and explanations' following his release."

So, really what's the story here? Police vigilant during Olympics?

I might be missing something here but the only story I can see currently is the drunk man throwing a bottle at the 100m final....my hat is doffed to the police in the UK!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Absorbere

Did you just...compliment the police...on....ATS?!?!?

Careful buddy, they'll be outting you as a shill before long

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join