It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of fish die as Midwest streams heat up - Corn crop lowest in years - No bumper crop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Didn't see this posted yet - massive amount of fish dieing in streams in the midwest.

Apparently this is pretty bad as these things normally go. I know last year was very bad in my area & I'm sure there's a pretty good chance the food chain could end up being affected in the area.

When you couple these events with dieing crops & worsening drought conditions across the south & midwest its seems we may be in for some food supply problems in the near future.

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — Thousands of fish are dying in the Midwest as the hot, dry summer dries up rivers and causes water temperatures to climb in some spots to nearly 100 degrees. About 40,000 shovelnose sturgeon were killed in Iowa last week as water temperatures reached 97 degrees. Nebraska fishery officials said they've seen thousands of dead sturgeon, catfish, carp, and other species in the Lower Platte River, including the endangered pallid sturgeon. And biologists in Illinois said the hot weather has killed tens of thousands of large- and smallmouth bass and channel catfish and is threatening the population of the greater redhorse fish, a state-endangered species.

Midwest fish die-off

Edit: Here is another source. I know here in Texas I've been noticing many fields (especially corn) are completely dead. Last year there were lakes that completely dried up & many were incredibly low causing land bridges and shoreline to be exposed that hadn't been in decades.

There just hasn't been enough rain to fully recover and with the heat of this year it appears prices will be going up on many things come fall.

Alt source:
Fish die off in Midwest

Here is a story about the corn crop this year. Yield is expected to be at least at a five year low. It was supposed to be a bumper crop this year coming off a bad year last year so I know it's not because there wasn't enough planted. Many farmers planted more than they would have expecting a good rebound year.

Drought slashing corn crop
edit on 7-8-2012 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
It's not just fish that are dying. Field crops ( corn and soybeans) are hurting.

bloomberg.com

The condition of U.S. corn and soybean crops deteriorated to the worst since 1988 as the country’s most widespread drought in 56 years caused damage to plants across the Midwest.

About 39 percent of soybeans were rated poor to very poor as of yesterday, more than the 37 percent of a week earlier, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said today in a report on its website. For corn, 50 percent got the lowest ratings, up from 48 percent a week earlier.

I read recently that barge traffic in some areas of the Mississippi has been halted due to low water levels. I live by the river on the Iowa/Illinois border. We've had some rain lately, but not nearly enough.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Bee keepers are having trouble too - not nearly enough rain this year & the record heat is making it worse.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Here in Scotland we have had far too much rain which has turned lots of our corn fields to pulp.

All the fields round by me are ruined and will not produce any corn this year.

Looking pretty dire.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
We had jobless, then homeless, and pretty soon foodless. What is next? lifeless?

2nd.

top topics

join