It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White students forced to stay at failing school

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Maybe the white kids have higher test scores and they are trying to get a passing grade by sending all the failures to other schools??? I don't know, just another way of looking at it.... Call me racist I don't care

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lurker_below
reply to post by WildWorld

Racist? Absolutely; racially motivated? Not so much. This just serves as a prime example of all the nonsense bureaucratic red tape these public schools have to deal with. It has nothing to do with improving the educations of these students.

What benefits do schools with A ratings have over schools with F ratings? More grants perhaps? What a sad state of affairs!

I agree with this statement 100%. I do not believe the school system itself sits in a room and brainstorms ways to get all the non white students out of their school. I believe, a long time ago, before many of us were born, there was a real problem and rules are in place to correct these problems of 60 years ago. The outcome was that while giving equal rights to some, who absolutely deserve it, they are taking away the right of others to make it "fair".

The more we encourage "leveling the playing field" so to speak, we are also encouraging racism on all sides and from/against all groups of people.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

The demographics of the school are 50/50. If all the white students are making A's and the non whites F's then the average would be a C. The average is an F. It appears that all students are doing poorly.

ETA: If they are sending black kids away to up the school's score, that is racist. If they are forcing white kids to stay in a failing school and allowing non white students to transfer. That is racist. Either way, what's being done is wrong.
edit on 6-8-2012 by Larrelye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Larrelye

The demographics of the school are 50/50. If all the white students are making A's and the non whites F's then the average would be a C. The average is an F. It appears that all students are doing poorly.

ETA: If they are sending black kids away to up the school's score, that is racist. If they are forcing white kids to stay in a failing school and allowing non white students to transfer. That is racist. Either way, what's being done is wrong.

Thats what I meant, the one side sees it as racist to whites, when in fact it would actually be racist to the other students because they were shipping them off.... I agree that it's wrong too...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Isn't it funny how some in this thread are claiming that they want to keep the "white" kids at the school to improve the schools grade...because of course the "white" kids would be smarter.

But...of course...they will say that isn't a racist statement.

The law/provision that is causing this is written in a fair way that doesn't discriminate against race. Here is what I found on the provision from another article.

www.ketknbc.com...

"Any student may transfer from a school where his race is in the majority to a school where his race is in the minority."

So if "blacks" were in the minority of either of these schools, they couldn't transfer to a school where they are the majority.

In this case, "whites" are the minority, so they can't transfer to a school where they are in the majority.

And why do we have laws like this...it's not because white people are the poor victim...it is because of our racist past. In this parish...even after de-segregation laws were passed...whites just didn't want their kids going to school with black kids...so they transfered them to schools that were more "white". That left some schools as "all black" schools...thus...violating de-segregation laws.

So sorry..."whites" made their bed in that parish...now they have to sleep in it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

So the law does it in a fair way that isn't about race, when it is exactly about race..... Funny how that works...... I guess that makes sense if you're a liberal..... You shouldn't be able to transfer or not transfer to a school simply because of your race, just like you shouldn't be able to get a job because of your race....

link   
They should just do what this school district did.

Enforcement of the court orders mandating the desegregation of school districts formerly segregated by law is a top priority of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division. For example, on March 23, 2011, the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi entered an order modifying the 1969 desegregation order governing the operations of the school district in Leake County, Miss. After a comprehensive review, the department determined that the school district continued to operate four essentially single-race schools. After taking account of a district wide capacity study and the input of more than 800 students, parents and concerned citizens who attended a community meeting, the Department of Justice and the school district jointly requested the closure of two schools as well as the reassignment of students and faculty, and improvements to the quality of education and extracurricular activities at the remaining schools. The court’s order granted all of the modifications sought by the parties.

www.justice.gov...

link   
reply to post by Larrelye

Wow... to put blatant racism in a letter to parents like that. I cannot even imagine how angry I would be if my kids school sent a letter home like that.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah, because we all know white kids are all little angels that get good grades.

The white children are the extreme minority in this school. Their ratings are not going to make a difference.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

So because whites were racist in the past.. it's cool to be racist against whites now. I see. Frankly it should be a choice of the parent whether they want there kid at a school with a high number of people from another race. If blacks don't want their kids with whites, fine, if whites don't want their kids with blacks, fine. How dare we intervene in the raising of their own children? "Desegregation" should have been limited to the repeal of a legal mandate. Not actually forcing kids to go different places because it benefits the sensibilities of some.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I so hope for a time when racism is behind us. Why is it that people can't see?. All men are created equal...where have I heard that before....

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So what? One reason you answered yourself...."grants perhaps" . IMO, the student who is doing well does suffer from being placed in an environment with students who are not doing well. I was the only white person in my class in elementary school. When I moved to a new school (mostly white) was way behind because the class I was previously in didn't learn half of what my new class had. It was not laziness on my part. It was the school, the teachers, and the other students. I suffered because of the environment I was in. Yes, you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink ........you can also keep it tied to it's post and let it die of thirst.

Originally posted by Lurker_below
reply to post by WildWorld

So what if an A+ student is forced to stay at a school where the majority of students are failing. This does not mean the quality of education is lacking; in fact, I'd be willing to bet this school is on par with any other average school in this country. The school's failing grade reflects the laziness of the students, not the competence of the teaching staff. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Racist? Absolutely; racially motivated? Not so much. This just serves as a prime example of all the nonsense bureaucratic red tape these public schools have to deal with. It has nothing to do with improving the educations of these students.

What benefits do schools with A ratings have over schools with F ratings? More grants perhaps? What a sad state of affairs!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5

So the law does it in a fair way that isn't about race, when it is exactly about race..... Funny how that works...... I guess that makes sense if you're a liberal..... You shouldn't be able to transfer or not transfer to a school simply because of your race, just like you shouldn't be able to get a job because of your race....

The law/provision doesn't single out "whites"...it's applied to all races who are in the minority at a school trying to transfer to a school where they are in the majority.

So yes...it that sense...it is "fair" and non-discriminatory.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
Isn't it funny how some in this thread are claiming that they want to keep the "white" kids at the school to improve the schools grade...because of course the "white" kids would be smarter.

But...of course...they will say that isn't a racist statement.

The law/provision that is causing this is written in a fair way that doesn't discriminate against race. Here is what I found on the provision from another article.

www.ketknbc.com...

"Any student may transfer from a school where his race is in the majority to a school where his race is in the minority."

So if "blacks" were in the minority of either of these schools, they couldn't transfer to a school where they are the majority.

In this case, "whites" are the minority, so they can't transfer to a school where they are in the majority.

And why do we have laws like this...it's not because white people are the poor victim...it is because of our racist past. In this parish...even after de-segregation laws were passed...whites just didn't want their kids going to school with black kids...so they transfered them to schools that were more "white". That left some schools as "all black" schools...thus...violating de-segregation laws.

So sorry..."whites" made their bed in that parish...now they have to sleep in it.

I know you weren't responding directly to me but I'd like to respond anyway. I've pointed out that all the students appear to be doing bad. But what I wanted to really address was the later comment you made....
And why do we have laws like this...it's not because white people are the poor victim...it is because of our racist past.

So it's because the non white elementary aged students are the "poor victim"? They were once not allowed to go to the white school? Our racist past is just that. While racism still exist and of course some groups of people see it much more than others. I'm sure there are plenty who can give detailed examples of REAL racism they have personally experienced still today. I strongly believe that all equal-opportunity type laws be removed from the books. I don't feel that these rules do anything to correct any wrongs done in the past but only to perpetuate the idea that we are fundamentally different. That some of us should feel guilty and some of us should feel like victims. And as long as they are there, it is a barrier to real change in people's minds. But again, that's a different topic.

If I move into a good neighborhood with a good school system, my child should be allowed in that school as long as we live in that district, which is (I believe) the way most schools do. Unless of course the school is too white or too black or too asian, because that was the neighborhood the school was built in?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

Originally posted by jheated5

The law/provision doesn't single out "whites"...it's applied to all races who are in the minority at a school trying to transfer to a school where they are in the majority.

So yes...it that sense...it is "fair" and non-discriminatory.

Any law that forces you to do or not do something because of your race, whether you be majority or minority is discriminatory! Wow........

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

So because whites were racist in the past.. it's cool to be racist against whites now. I see. Frankly it should be a choice of the parent whether they want there kid at a school with a high number of people from another race. If blacks don't want their kids with whites, fine, if whites don't want their kids with blacks, fine. How dare we intervene in the raising of their own children? "Desegregation" should have been limited to the repeal of a legal mandate. Not actually forcing kids to go different places because it benefits the sensibilities of some.

The law isn't racist towards anyone...it is applied evenly to all races.

If whites in this country weren't so racist in the past (and let's face it...so racist still today), then laws like this wouldn't be needed.

We have moved on from your dated views of "well if they want to be racist, we shouldn't interfere"...sorry...deal with it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
If the school is failing ANY of the students should be allowed to choose another school if they wish. It's unfair to force a certain group to stay and give another group an option.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Larrelye

If I move into a good neighborhood with a good school system, my child should be allowed in that school as long as we live in that district, which is (I believe) the way most schools do. Unless of course the school is too white or too black or too asian, because that was the neighborhood the school was built in.

And from what I understand...you can.

This law/provision is just about transfering students to schools outside of your district.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Any law that forces you to do or not do something because of your race, whether you be majority or minority is discriminatory!

Ummm...no.

If the law said "Only non-white students can transfer schools"...then that would be discriminatory. The law is race-neutral...thus it is non-discriminatory because it can be applied to any race in different situations.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

While I can't argue your logic, I believe the real point is "race" should not be included period. No student should be able to transfer or not allowed to transfer because of race. This is racist to any person who is negatively effected in that their skin color is what disallows them the same advantages of another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join