It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Usefulness Of Mind-Body Duality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
There is a usefulness in mind-body duality. Do not see this duality as a contradiction to the truth of non-duality. This duality is of a pragmatic nature, whereas non-duality is a statement on the ultimate nature of truth and reality. Observe the conflicts that go in your mind. Observe that from the perspective of your mind, you may work out a great many conflicts, things that could potentially go wrong, or potential courses of action. Notice this incredible amount of mental activity. Now think of the body, during this time of great mental activity and anguish.

The body has been still, or if the body was doing something it was quite a small fraction of the activity that would be implied if your mental activity had any bearing on the physical reality. Become conscious of this. For all these thoughts, it made no impact whatsoever in your world. The physical reality you inhabit, with your body, was totally uneffected by this great struggle that had occurred in the mind. Yet as these mental struggles occur, we think it is connected to our body, and physical reality. It is thus very important, since the physical reality is really the only source of true concern, for our mind is our own, and cannot be concerned or anxiety-ridden except in relation to some components of the physical reality.

Think of your mind like commentary, as in a sporting event, for example. The announcers may discuss what is happening, and even go into great depth analyzing it and providing meaning behind it all and alternatives. Yet no matter how much they talk, the game is entirely unaffected. This is the essence of the mind-body duality; realization of this, and the consequential split between the two, is a very useful tool, practically speaking. Your mind goes, but it does not affect the physical. It can be interesting to listen to, perhaps, but it is not so serious. Just commentary.
edit on 5-8-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheJourney
There is a usefulness in mind-body duality. Do not see this duality as a contradiction to the truth of non-duality. This duality is of a pragmatic nature, whereas non-duality is a statement on the ultimate nature of truth and reality. Observe the conflicts that go in your mind. Observe that from the perspective of your mind, you may work out a great many conflicts, things that could potentially go wrong, or potential courses of action. Notice this incredible amount of mental activity. Now think of the body, during this time of great mental activity and anguish.

The body has been still, or if the body was doing something it was quite a small fraction of the activity that would be implied if your mental activity had any bearing on the physical reality. Become conscious of this. For all these thoughts, it made no impact whatsoever in your world. The physical reality you inhabit, with your body, was totally uneffected by this great struggle that had occurred in the mind. Yet as these mental struggles occur, we think it is connected to our body, and physical reality. It is thus very important, since the physical reality is really the only source of true concern, for our mind is our own, and cannot be concerned or anxiety-ridden except in relation to some components of the physical reality.

Think of your mind like commentary, as in a sporting event, for example. The announcers may discuss what is happening, and even go into great depth analyzing it and providing meaning behind it all and alternatives. Yet no matter how much they talk, the game is entirely unaffected. This is the essence of the mind-body duality; realization of this, and the consequential split between the two, is a very useful tool, practically speaking. Your mind goes, but it does not affect the physical. It can be interesting to listen to, perhaps, but it is not so serious. Just commentary.
edit on 5-8-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

Take it further with Mind Body and Spirit

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The mind and the body are not you.
I say - 'my' body and 'my' mind so who do they belong to?
I am not 'my' body, the body is seen and experienced by me. I am not 'my' mind, the mind which in reality is just a thought arising, is seen and known by me. So what am I?

I experience a body, i experience a mind (thoughts). I am not a thing that can be known because i am knowing.

new topics

join