It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is disinformation allowed in the T&C?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Because it's getting to a point where I won't even bother to do my research into the comments/replies to engage in multi-lateral conversations for truth and knowledge. The amount of bland and non-substance in many threads these past three years have astronomically sky-rocketed. Only expressing my concern in regards to how well unique members such as most of ATS get caught up in egotistical-type-arguments which only fuel the vicious cycle of petty arguments. Deny ignorance?... I'd say more like obfuscate truth.
edit on 4-8-2012 by sgspecial19 because: edit

edit on 4-8-2012 by sgspecial19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Perhaps you could, um, i dunno...elaborate a bit.

Or is your OP a disinformation test?

Generally, i think, any new thread purposefully created with disinformation will be promptly deleted.

Threads created under the intention of legitimacy but turning out to be false are moved to hoax.

Posts with disinformation, i suppose, are *allowed* (how to prove certain disinformation, what with everything going on and the amount of info), and plenty of people post disinfo to disrupt debates, etc. And it helps people to think.

Is disinof allowed? Broadly: Yes, i think it is.

But a mod can certainly say for sure.

ETA: Ok, you *did* elaborate as i was responding, lol.

I agree, the substance and posts have certainly lost...substance, and the amount of opinionated folderol and baseless sophomoric chatter and whining have increased drastically.

No one wants to be "wrong" (and most won't admit it when they are).
edit on 4-8-2012 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

For instance, lets just say the 1st page of a thread is where users start to assess the concern/issue and use their free will whether or not they wish to contribute. but when the 1st page of the thread lacks substence and higher transition debates, what means to an end is there for that truth? Less pathos, more logos and free thinkers should step up to the plate.

MODs should actively monitor threads and NOT delete posts, but post and tell us if the thread is not going anywhere, or is very disorganized. We need teamwork, not censorship.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

Sometimes pissin contests seem to be the only way to bring out the truth........Some threads gain, just because of team mentality versus facts and truth. It sucks, but yet we wonder how the world has become as screwed up as it has.......

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
ATS - T & C

It comes under 15L [HOAX]

If you use Wiki's definition of disinformation which calls disinfo an "intentional" lie or deception and excludes accidental mistruths or misinformation; then, the closest fit is 15L.

So, I'd say yes it counts Disinfo in my books.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

But when certain threads develop that pathos approach (apeal to emotions), there is an agenda for which threads are displayed on the top threads. Honestly, I read garbage and lies on the top topics...Usually stick with the new topics to see in real time which threads promote truth and substance.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What really has been bothering me lately with ATS members is the whole premise of achieving "stars" for trying to make the best pathos comment. There's attachment to the debate and selfish desire if one really desires those stars by bashing other members or posting lack-luster replies.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

edit on 4-8-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

But when certain threads develop that pathos approach (apeal to emotions), there is an agenda for which threads are displayed on the top threads. Honestly, I read garbage and lies on the top topics...Usually stick with the new topics to see in real time which threads promote truth and substance

YES!!! Sir/Mam, that is what I was trying to say, but obviously I did a poor job expressing my thoughts in a written form.... I agree 100%! If you notice lately, the threads that usually explode, are political, racial, religious, sexual etc etc.....

We all have opinions and sometimes we read something that we know is NOT TRUE, thus the pissing contest begins!

Then we have posts that also may not be all truths, but maybe at that time one team has more players on than the other and that thread becomes a gang fest on those who disagree.....

I guess that with the problems we are facing in this world, that maybe we would all be better off, if we could just all learn to agree to disagree?
edit on 4-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Haha I'm only a 20 year old dude and I see past the illusion of disinformation. If the golden rule on ATS was to "mutually respect one another's beliefs, opinions, and ideologies" then I'll bet my Gibson SG that many ATS members will experience the feeling of being interconnected, and will make a valiant effort in promoting a positive and organized environment. We don't necessarily need the mods really, because without members, there's no ATS

edit on 4-8-2012 by sgspecial19 because: typo

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Haha I'm only a 20 year old dude and I see past the illusion of disinformation. If the golded rule on ATS was to "mutually respect one another's beliefs, opinions, and ideologies" then I'll bet my Gibson SG that many ATS members will experience the feeling of being interconnected, and will make a valiant effort in promoting a positive and organized environment. We don't necessarily need the mods really, because without members, there's no ATS

Well, I respectfully disagree with you for saying we don't need Mods. Without them, this website would be a flustercluck of pure anarchy and a hate fest! If you feel that having Mods is a bad thing, then what exactly is the purpose of your post? Your post seemed very intelligent until you just exposed your purpose......

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It's all good, and this place is a virtual outlet for social interaction, so every user should take civil responsibility even if there is or isn't a police force (mods). Sorry, I am indifferent about the mods based on what I observe on ATS.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19

Haha I'm only a 20 year old dude and I see past the illusion of disinformation. If the golden rule on ATS was to "mutually respect one another's beliefs, opinions, and ideologies" then I'll bet my Gibson SG that many ATS members will experience the feeling of being interconnected, and will make a valiant effort in promoting a positive and organized environment. We don't necessarily need the mods really, because without members, there's no ATS

edit on 4-8-2012 by sgspecial19 because: typo

Funny that IS the golden rule on ATS...

Don't be a jackass being the 2nd.

I understand what you are saying, but one man's disinformation is another man's truth and we come here to see what BS stinks less than the next.

With the advent of our wonderful playground known as the internet, and the billions of people who now use it, it's almost impossible for any of us to 100% fact check things.

People are entitled to their own beliefs, not their own facts. Unfortunetely sometimes the beliefs become their facts.

This is the kind of attitude we seek to counter, however some people are far too caught up in their beliefs to change them in the face of new and reality shattering information. It's just like trying to make somebody who believes in the MSM that it's all fake.

Ever watch somebody realize that right in front of you? It's eerily beautiful yet haunting. And I've had that reaction in these forums when somebody schooled me in my beliefs with new facts.

ETA; The ony thing that we do differently than you, is that we were provided with the trust by the owners of ATS to make members responsible for their own posting and actions. You guys agreed to the Terms & Conditions, all we are here for is to remind you of that and remove those who refuse to particpate according to them.

~Tenth
edit on 8/4/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks Tenth you always pull through as one of the mods, and you are right about beliefs becoming a replacement for facts. You seem to smell BS pretty well, how about considering a substance bar for each thread? Based on the number of links, posts, and quotes generated by users alike. Or a BS bar, your choice

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I've been petitioning for an ATS Dunce Cap forum for years

And trust me, there are FAR wiser mods around here...you don't see them much though, but they exist.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19
Because it's getting to a point where I won't even bother to do my research into the comments/replies to engage in multi-lateral conversations for truth and knowledge. The amount of bland and non-substance in many threads these past three years have astronomically sky-rocketed. Only expressing my concern in regards to how well unique members such as most of ATS get caught up in egotistical-type-arguments which only fuel the vicious cycle of petty arguments. Deny ignorance?... I'd say more like obfuscate truth.
edit on 4-8-2012 by sgspecial19 because: edit

edit on 4-8-2012 by sgspecial19 because: (no reason given)

Disinformation is not only allowed, it is encouraged. If you took all the blatant disinformation posts and "hey, your shoe is untied" distraction nonsense off the board there wouldn't be any more abandoned, three page threads.

new topics

top topics

join