It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why Do Creationists Get Laughed At?"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I'm not going to sit here all evening attempting to educate you in the theory of evolution.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Originally posted by muzzleflash

reply to post by TheGreatDivider

Ah, the ol' "the evidence is wrong!" argument
Good night, I've had enough laughs for the evening.

Evidence is evidence.
It can be interpreted in multiple ways by multiple observers.

He asked for transitional fossils. I gave him transitional fossils. He dismissed them as "wrong". So what, pray tell, is the "alternative interpretation" for the transitional fossil evidence, considering they tie in very well with all of the other evidence for evolution? The tactic of attempting to home in on tiny details and misrepresent them whilst ignoring all of the other supporting evidence is both disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

Who is "He"?
This isn't really about your specific posts on a specific argument.

I am talking about all arguments between all people on all subjects, but specifically evolution-creationism in this context for this thread.

If one detail is shown to be inconsistent, a legitimate scientific mind will adapt and shift their theories to fit the new information. Instead it seems folks are attempting to justify simply brushing them all off to the side without reevaluating anything, because they are convinced in a religious manner that they already know the ultimate answers.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
“Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms?”

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

It hasn't been shown to be inconsistent. he did nothing of the sort
All he did was say (and I'm paraphrasing) "the evidence is wrong". Well shucks, I'm convinced.

Listen, you're over one hundred and fifty years late to the party. There is no "debate" about evolution, only in the minds of creationists does a "debate" exist.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

We've found thousands since then. I even linked you to some

Now try quote mining someone who hasn't been dead for over 150 years.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I'm not going to sit here all evening attempting to educate you in the theory of evolution.

What does that mean?
That because I criticize your method of argument, *outright ridicule*, that I don't know what you are arguing about?
They don't flow into each other.

Improper debate methods lead to unsound conclusions.
The specific details of the debate do not matter if the debate cannot be conducted properly.

And just because I disagree with your methodology does not indicate my knowledge or ignorance thereof in relation to biology or biochemistry, nor the theories surrounding those subjects.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Those who reject reality in favour of fairy tales deserve ridicule. Not one single creationist has changed their minds in this forum in light of compelling evidence. Not one. There is no "debate". For a debate to take place, both sides must be informed. Every creationist claim made on these boards has been shown to be a fallacy. There is nothing new posted, only the same cycle repeated. Again, you are over 150 years late to the party if you want a meaningful debate. The party is long over. Whilst you're sitting on the fence, spin-off technology from evolution is actually being used to make the world a better place. Evidence has continually been found for over 150 years (and keeps going til this very day) that further strengthens the theory of evolution.

The time for being reasonable and understanding has long passed. There is no excuse for people in the 21st century to continue to misrepresent and reject the strong science of evolution in favour of fairy tales. Me? I'm done, there is nothing I can or will say that hasn't been said 1000 times before on these very boards.
edit on 2-8-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

It hasn't been shown to be inconsistent. he did nothing of the sort
All he did was say (and I'm paraphrasing) "the evidence is wrong". Well shucks, I'm convinced.

Listen, you're over one hundred and fifty years late to the party. There is no "debate" about evolution, only in the minds of creationists does a "debate" exist.

Wrong.
In a free society there will always be debates on every subject.
That is a fact of life.

Are you against the tenants of a free society where all people of all persuasions have the right to voice their dissent? I doubt it.

To the creationists, the matter was resolved in Genesis chapter 1.
To many evolutionists, it was resolved sometime in the mid to late 1800s.

To those of us who know better, we realize that all "science" is a "work in progress", and the "goal of science" is to "disprove prior held notions".
What you are doing is entirely unscientific at it's base definition.

I am coming after you because I know you can reach a much higher level. Anyone who "cares about science" should be pushed and held to a very high standard.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Those who reject reality in favour of fairy tales deserve ridicule. Not one single creationist has changed their minds in this forum in light of compelling evidence. Not one. There is no "debate". For a debate to take place, both sides must be informed. Every creationist claim made on these boards has been shown to be a fallacy. There is nothing new posted, only the same cycle repeated. Again, you are over 150 years late to the party if you want a meaningful debate. The party is long over. Whilst you're sitting on the fence, spin-off technology from evolution is actually being used to make the world a better place. Evidence has continually been found for over 150 years (and keeps going til this very day) that further strengthens the theory of evolution.

The time for being reasonable and understanding has long passed. There is no excuse for people in the 21st century to continue to misrepresent and reject the strong science of evolution in favour of fairy tales. Me? I'm done, there is nothing I can or will say that hasn't been said 1000 times before on these very boards.

Thank you for your infinite wisdom I was totally unaware that evolution has officially been declared proven fact. Can you supply a link to the press release???

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

The time for being reasonable and understanding has long passed.

Ah yes, this is the exact problem.

If you believe the time for being reasonable and understanding has long passed, than you are admitting openly that you refuse to be "reasonable" and lack the ability to "understand".

What kind of "science" is this?
Oh yeah, it's "religion" all over again, just with a new face.

Thank you for proving my point. I appreciate your candid response.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TheJackelantern

Yeah, great videos. Very provocative title for those videos, but the content is extremely well researched and debunks most of the common creationist arguments.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider

Thank you for your infinite wisdom I was totally unaware that evolution has officially been declared proven fact. Can you supply a link to the press release???

Evolution is a fact...and that's a FACT

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Wrong.
In a free society there will always be debates on every subject.
That is a fact of life.

Debate all you like but the creationist side will still be wrong.

Are you against the tenants of a free society where all people of all persuasions have the right to voice their dissent? I doubt it.

They are wrong, period. Dissent until the cows come home, they are and still will be wrong.

To the creationists, the matter was resolved in Genesis chapter 1.
To many evolutionists, it was resolved sometime in the mid to late 1800s.

That doesn't change the fact that they are wrong.

To those of us who know better, we realize that all "science" is a "work in progress", and the "goal of science" is to "disprove prior held notions".
What you are doing is entirely unscientific at it's base definition.

they are demonstrably wrong. Try and spin it as "challenging ideas" all you like but they are worng and have been so for over 150 years.

I am coming after you because I know you can reach a much higher level. Anyone who "cares about science" should be pushed and held to a very high standard.

You have no argument. Creationists have no argument they are wrong and have been so for over 150 years. if you wish to live a delusional life and reject science, that is your bag. You say you sit on the fence but I say you have a creationist agenda.

But alas, as much as I have threatened, I am not going to bother responding any more. If you cannot be bothered to educate yourself in the theory of evolution, I cannot be bothered to respond to you.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

“Why, if species have descended from other species by insensibly fine gradations, do we not everywhere see innumerable transitional forms?”

We do...given that EVERY life form is still evolving we are all transitional species!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The ignorance is strong in this one. "Ignorance? From a creationist? Never!

Transitional Fossils
More Transitional Fossils
And Some More Transitional Fossils
Even More Transitional Fossils

BTW nothing in science is "proven", the fact you can't even get the most basic terminology right only serves to make you look even more ignorant.

If you're going to attack science, at least bother to educate yourself before hand.

Does my ignorance make you angry? Or your lack of any concrete evidence?

He just linked 4 links showing concrete evidence

Trolling much?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Evidence is evidence.
It can be interpreted in multiple ways by multiple observers.

No, evidence isn't evidence. There's a MASSIVE difference between OBJECTIVE and SUBJECTIVE evidence. One is reliable, the other isn't. Science relies only on OBJECTIVE evidence...creationists completely ignore it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Moreover, "fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"

That's from your link.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

We have a thread here that has hundreds of pages that do just that.. Even the finches are a prime example that proves evolution happens. The mutation of an infertile flower species that mutated to become fertile is a direct example. Twitching lizards in regions where fire ants invade and live are another prime example of natural section / co-evolution to where only twitching lizards survive and those that don't get selected out. We can go over Atavism, snakes with legs, or the human example of a reptilian heart:

www.sciencedaily.com...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

We can show pelvic bones of whales with femurs, the embryology of how the blow holes of whales and dolphins go to the top of their heads vs the front of their noses ect.. the evidence is overwhelming. And we don't even need the fossil record to prove evolution. We don't even need over 300 pages of content. We only need the basic understanding of duplication error and why through reproduction alone guarantees evolution over time scales. This of course ignoring all other factors that influence changes in a genome ect. I even listed a massive amount of information of practical application through the study of evolutionary processes.
edit on 2-8-2012 by TheJackelantern because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

That's from your link.

There is no such thing as "absolute certainty". But considering we are ACTIVELY APPLYING the theory of evolution in modern medicine to predict future outcomes (and it works!!), it's most definitely a fact.

You apparently didn't know evolution is a fact, now you do

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

That's from your link.

There is no such thing as "absolute certainty". But considering we are ACTIVELY APPLYING the theory of evolution in modern medicine to predict future outcomes (and it works!!), it's most definitely a fact.

You apparently didn't know evolution is a fact, now you do

Evolution, at the most, is an idea about history, not observational science. There may be inferences we can make about the past based on modern observations, and these may or may not be true, but don't bother claiming that ideas about history are the same as repeatable observations in the present. And don't insult us by thinking that we will believe that they are.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join