It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Modern Medicne

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Because of advancements in medical technology in respect to DNA manipulation, cloning. well as organ transplants, something never considered before is now possible.

There have been expeirments preformed upon Rhesus Monkeys ,in which the brain of one was removed and
placed into the head of another.

Fertalized Eggs have had there DNA manipulated, so as to cause the chick to be born without a head (it is not that difficult to do). Once the chick is born tubes are placed down there throats. it is said it is easier to raise
chickens this way because there is less mess and less risk of desease.

However strange this may sound it is feasable that in the next 100 or so years. The medical technology will exist, that will allow a person to have a clone produced that has no brain. The clone once it reached maturety would
then have its parent doner brain placed in the clones head.

Keep in mind I said it was feasable and so am oppning the discussion to any other conclusions

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The brain still gets old though so I don't see brain transplants as feasible. Plus it would be economically out of reach except for the 1%.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats
The brain still gets old though so I don't see brain transplants as feasible. Plus it would be economically out of reach except for the 1%.

Back in the 70's there was a scientist who said that if it were not for the body, the brain could survive about 500years. An alternative way of looking at it is that given we will, around that same time, moving out into our solar system and beyond. The value of having individuals that can have those kind of life spans would be beneficial. And of course, I implying that by that time. We will also be able to deal with diseases of the brain very efficiently as a result of genetic research.

There are other issues like for example would criminals be denied lifetimes?

Or what other issues could come up that would make a person undesirable....

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

nice thread!!

any info or results on the experiments with the brain transplant in the monkey?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Fertalized Eggs have had there DNA manipulated, so as to cause the chick to be born without a head (it is not that difficult to do). Once the chick is born tubes are placed down there throats. it is said it is easier to raise chickens this way because there is less mess and less risk of desease.

I can't be the only one that was completely disgusted to hear that......

Frankenstien level of madness in science

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Kashai

Fertalized Eggs have had there DNA manipulated, so as to cause the chick to be born without a head (it is not that difficult to do). Once the chick is born tubes are placed down there throats. it is said it is easier to raise chickens this way because there is less mess and less risk of desease.

I can't be the only one that was completely disgusted to hear that......

Frankenstien level of madness in science

I agree it is terrifying but possible given the direction things are going.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by Kashai

nice thread!!

any info or results on the experiments with the brain transplant in the monkey?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

thanks!

more on topic with your thread,,,, I dont think there is any block on reality stopping humans from gaining complete knowledge and control over the energies and particles and chemicals and elements that make up reality and utilizing them for whatever purposes they desiree,,, however we must suffer the consequences of our actions negative and positive,,, and it may be hard being aware of negative effects of things done now or in a few years on the future,,, like once we turn ourselves into robots and computers and then slowly our batteries start dyeing and we have no way to fix them or replicate,,,, human evolution,,, or universal energies evolution is like roots of a tree,, or branches of a tree,, or veins or a river,,,, spreading out,,, hitting dead ends,,, occasional creating pools and thick healthy branches and occasionally presenting some sweet fruit,,

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by Kashai

thanks!

more on topic with your thread,,,, I dont think there is any block on reality stopping humans from gaining complete knowledge and control over the energies and particles and chemicals and elements that make up reality and utilizing them for whatever purposes they desiree,,, however we must suffer the consequences of our actions negative and positive,,, and it may be hard being aware of negative effects of things done now or in a few years on the future,,, like once we turn ourselves into robots and computers and then slowly our batteries start dyeing and we have no way to fix them or replicate,,,, human evolution,,, or universal energies evolution is like roots of a tree,, or branches of a tree,, or veins or a river,,,, spreading out,,, hitting dead ends,,, occasional creating pools and thick healthy branches and occasionally presenting some sweet fruit,,

200 years ago the average life span was about 50 years old, and it still is like that in one or two countries today. We are living longer and holistic approches in the context of what has been done to date, will extend life.

Synthetic bodies that are completely compatible with the human brain will take more time to develop (another 300years or so). But in reality the feasibility of the above will allow people (as an example) born today, the means of making it to the time when such technology exist.

Though it is also possible that people who today are in there 40's and 50's today. Could live long enoug.for synthetic bodies to be possible. It is even possible that they such synthetic bodies would not depend upon batteries.

They could be green as a result of there dependence on photosynthesis for fuel and/or food.

Any thoughts?

edit on 31-7-2012 by Kashai because: modified content

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

i only used the batteries idea as an example of the possibility of unescapable failure as a result of past actions and reactions,,,, leading our species into an uncontrollable dead end,, it was only a scenario for thought,, for i see the potential to take many routes,, that may lead to different pools of human being,,,,

also alot of tribal humans live healthy and long aged lives in a symbiotic relationship with nature, and becoming tough from existing so closely bound up in the elements,,,

do you think chasing and achieving human imortality can potentially have a negative consequence?

say for example,,,, you were born on this planet,,, given life,,,, all life on this planet eventually dies after it is born,,,,, maybe there is some natural ebb and flow of incarnation,,,, and by imortaly becoming a human or robot will disrupt your ability to manifest naturally as anything else again,,,,,,

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

A problem being a person who is born who's brain is not in keeping with a certain standard. Say for example people who have a genetic predisposition to using drugs? What about the issues beyond that like Pedophilia, those who have committed a serial murder, or those who express suicidal tendencies?

Or what about a person who for some other reason would be considered undesirable??

The permutations of the consequences, for Jaywalking (an potentially absurd reason), could mean death eternal, in the context of western society.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kashai

A problem being a person who is born who's brain is not in keeping with a certain standard. Say for example people who have a genetic predisposition to using drugs? What about the issues beyond that like Pedophilia, those who have committed a serial murder, or those who express suicidal tendencies?

Or what about a person who for some other reason would be considered undesirable??

The permutations of the consequences, for Jaywalking (an potentially absurd reason), could mean death eternal, in the context of western society.

Any thoughts?

im not sure what you mean or what you are relating those examples too,.,.,.,.., about drugs can you imagine the future there being unimaginable kinds of drugs? ( medically good,,,, and advanced psychedelic stuff?) or even video game like virtually realities that people can become addicted to the altered state of conciousness like on drugs,,,,,,

your saying if we can go into peoples brains and flip off all the undesirable switches to create the perfect humans,,, with no problems,,, and desirable traits and desires,,?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Imagine the situation of a person who desires to interact only with a virtual reality. In effect, never spending time outside a virtual Internet experience?

Living another 400 years could mean living another 1000 years, which could mean going beyond that.....

Traveling to the nearest Star at near the speed of light is not that big of a deal in regards to time dilation. But traveling, perhaps to extra-solar planets, that are hundreds or thousands of light years from here is another story.

The terrifying part is the extent to which the potential benefits out way the means????

Any thoughts?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Imagine the situation of a person who desires to interact only with a virtual reality. In effect, never spending time outside a virtual Internet experience?

Living another 400 years could mean living another 1000 years, which could mean going beyond that.....

Traveling to the nearest Star at near the speed of light is not that big of a deal in regards to time dilation. But traveling, perhaps to extra-solar planets, that are hundreds or thousands of light years from here is another story.

The terrifying part is the extent to which the potential benefits out way the means????

Any thoughts?

as an entity isnt the primary goal to exist?

so besides gaining knowledge of the universe,,or excavating resources,,, or creating relations with aliens,,,

being entities traveling the universe,,, what else could our goals be? what would we hope to achieve? just joy riding?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Any thoughts?

as an entity isnt the primary goal to exist?

so besides gaining knowledge of the universe,,or excavating resources,,, or creating relations with aliens,,,

being entities traveling the universe,,, what else could our goals be? what would we hope to achieve? just joy riding?

That depends upon how one defines life.....as an example life after death is also life.

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
"That depends upon how one defines life.....as an example life after death is also life."

ok,..,,. you and I are humans,,, our family and friends are humans,,, all we have ever known is what humans do and what its like to be human,,, our history,, language and cultures and tools,, everything humans have done has been for humans,,,, you and i are only thinking about these things as the human entities we are,,,, we dont need to worry about life after death while we are living humans,,,, death is guaranteed to all living things, including humans,,,,
also noone knows for sure what one experiences if anything after death,,,

I also think i see more what you were saying but still,..,,.,. I guess im asking you,,, what you think some more implications are to future medicine and technology? and thinking of that question is why i brought up,,,, humans as living beings living lives,,,, we have the things we do and realities that are constructed around our necessities but also branch out and create sports and games and cultures and arts, to entertain ourselves,, so how will this future medicine change human life? we will be able to travel the universe but we will still be humans with all of our cravings and desirees and imperfections? we will still just be eating sleeping pooping animals? if not,, if we will change those things,, what will we change about them and then what will our lives consist of and where and what will we do from there?
edit on 1-8-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   

First of all, cloning doesn't work. Big problems, tumors and such. Second, stem cells from the person have been shown to be compatible with the host and can regrow livers, heart cells, ect.

The whole transplant thing is a misnomer. It only fuels the Big Pharma anti=rejection drug market.

If one "clones" itself to use as "spare parts", like the brain transplant to a "body", there's all kinds of problems that can ensue - what was that movie with Goldie Hawn, Bruce Willis, and Meryl Streep?

People conceived the old fashioned way, are born with a "soul", an "entity", if you will. Maybe it's much more an enthralling existence, being dead from one's human life.

I do believe in God, I should include.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

ok,, so you believing in god is a huge reason you stated the sentences you did,,, and another reason is believing the god you believe to exist believes in not doing the things you believe it believes shouldnt be done

how do you know that god does not love or even promote experimentation?

using the law of observation ( a law i just made up which states.....observe) you will notice that the universe seems to be one gigantic experiment.........

we suffer our own actions and consequences,,,, we decide what is for better or for worse,, with the help of the reality of the effects of our actions,,,,,,

if cloning was 100% guaranteed safe and doable,,,,, and we were able to clone a new body for a disabled man and have everything work out,,, would it be bad to do so?

we also were not only talking about cloning,,,, there is possibility in the future for transhumanism,,not so much clonning the human body but upgrading it in ways unimaginable to ourselves at this time,,

where theres a problem theres a solution,, where theres a question theres an answer
edit on 1-8-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Lots of questions I don't pretend to have answers to. It's fun to think about though. I added that I believe in God to make some sort of context to my thoughts. I figured someone would accuse me of being "religious" and discount my thoughts as thinking I'm superior or more "righteous", which is not my intent at all. Just another way of looking at things.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
'I also think i see more what you were saying but still,..,,.,. I guess im asking you,,, what you think some more implications are to future medicine and technology?'

I feel that (hypothetically speaking" if a person when back in time, say about 200 years. And described life the way it really is today, they could be condiered crazy. If a hypothetic time traveler from 200 years from now and described life in the future, we probably would feel the same way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join