Take your prostate exams ....... (Ration Time!!!)

page: 1
18
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

“Prostate cancer is a serious health problem that affects thousands of men and their families. But before getting a PSA test, all men deserve to know what the science tells us about PSA screening: there is a very small potential benefit and significant potential harms. We encourage clinicians to consider this evidence and not screen their patients with a PSA test unless the individual being screened understands what is known about PSA screening and makes the personal decision that even a small possibility of benefit outweighs the known risk of harms.”

—USPSTF Co-Chair Michael LeFevre, M.D., M.S.P.H.
May 22, 2012
www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org...


Based on this work, the Task Force concludes that many men are harmed as a result of prostate cancer screening and few, if any, benefit.

A better test and better treatment options are needed. Until these are available, the USPSTF has recommended against screening for prostate cancer.


So some are harmed (?) by tests to see if they have cancer. So they think cancer is a better alternative to screening.


And people say that rationing isn't going to happen.



Just thought I'd share.
edit on Sun Aug 5 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: title snipped




posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


The scanning is causing cancer most likely, like with the breast scans



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by drbatstein
 


There's no "scanning," a PSA is a blood test...

The most common "scanning" that occurs for prostrate related ailments is ultrasound, an ionizing radiation free test.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by drbatstein
reply to post by beezzer
 


The scanning is causing cancer most likely, like with the breast scans


I "used" to get PSA tests every year. My dad had prostate cancer, so I was thought to be at risk. But I guess the government knows when a simple yearly blood test is more harmful than cancer.
edit on 31-7-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


So ignore it?



Until better testing is available.........



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by beezzer
 


So ignore it?



Until better testing is available.........


Yup! The government knows I'll be okay.

They are up my butt anyway!



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


Yep, colonoscopy often equals perforated bowel, sepsis, and death.

OK, maybe not "often," but considering the frequency of the operation, even a small percentage is a significant number of deaths.

By the same token, I'm not a fan of the Leep surgery for women either. Pretty much every woman I know has had at least one abnormal papsmear, which resulted in a leep surgery, which ultimately results in scar tissue, and can lead to complicated pregnancies.

We are overly treating patients these days. Over-testing equals over-treating equals too many mistakes and mishaps.

Somewhere between 70,000 and 120,000 people die every year due to medical mistakes. You're better off swimming in sharks tanks than to go to a hospital.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 



I "used" to get PSA tests every year. My dad had prostate cancer, so I was thought to be at risk. But I guess the government knows when a simple yearly blood test is more harmful than cancer.


Sorry to hear about your dad's bout with prostate cancer.

My uncle is going through the same, but thanks to the early detection he is in remission now. I guess the government was hoping otherwise. I see where this is going.

Take care of yourself and do what you have to do to get the annual test...
Demand it and don't allow them to dictate --



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The test where they investigate the prostate causes inflammation and the inflammation can cause disease which ultimately leads to cancer of the prostate. We fight cancer on a regular basis. Every person in the world has at least a few cancer cells at this instant. Cancer cells have a hard time being detected by our immune system so certain histamine reactions are needed to fight the cancer when it's small. Eating or drinking things in your diet can trigger these responses and keep the body almost cancer free.

Just because the test says you have cancer cells doesn't mean your body isn't going to fight it and win. When cancer gets a hold on you than that's the time to have it checked out, after a symptom shows up. All these tests that aren't necessary bring up insurance costs and then companies won't afford to give health care benefits. Look at the increase in health care costs over the last ten or so years.....fifteenyears.....thirty years...... A lot more companies had health insurance benefits thirty years ago when it was a lot cheaper.

The PSA blood test often leads to a false result often which leads to biopsies that raise your risk of cancer. The PSA test itself does no harm.
edit on 31-7-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by beezzer
 


Yep, colonoscopy often equals perforated bowel, sepsis, and death.

OK, maybe not "often," but considering the frequency of the operation, even a small percentage is a significant number of deaths.

By the same token, I'm not a fan of the Leep surgery for women either. Pretty much every woman I know has had at least one abnormal papsmear, which resulted in a leep surgery, which ultimately results in scar tissue, and can lead to complicated pregnancies.

We are overly treating patients these days. Over-testing equals over-treating equals too many mistakes and mishaps.

Somewhere between 70,000 and 120,000 people die every year due to medical mistakes. You're better off swimming in sharks tanks than to go to a hospital.



Prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer deaths among men in the United States. Yet when detected in its early stages, prostate cancer can be effectively treated and cured.

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in men, exceeded only by lung cancer.

While one man in six will get prostate cancer, the death rate for prostate cancer is dropping as men become proactive about discovering the disease early, and medical science continues to improve treatment methods. Getting tested can make all the difference in fighting this potentially fatal disease.

Get a prostate exam! Early detection is the key to surviving prostate cancer!

Men make an appointment to get tested today. Women encourage the men in your life to get tested annually. Early detection literally saves lives.

Men should have a digital rectal exam and the PSA (blood test to detect cancer antigens), annually, and if symptoms present themselves such as frequent urination, inability to empty the bladder, getting up at night to urinate, urinary tract infections, sexual impotence, et cetera; this should be brought to your doctor's attention.

www.pamelaegan.com...



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess
reply to post by beezzer
 



I "used" to get PSA tests every year. My dad had prostate cancer, so I was thought to be at risk. But I guess the government knows when a simple yearly blood test is more harmful than cancer.


Sorry to hear about your dad's bout with prostate cancer.

My uncle is going through the same, but thanks to the early detection he is in remission now. I guess the government was hoping otherwise. I see where this is going.

Take care of yourself and do what you have to do to get the annual test...
Demand it and don't allow them to dictate --



My father is great now.
Thanks to early detection.
Prayers to your uncle.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The test where they investigate the prostate causes inflammation and the inflammation can cause disease which ultimately leads to cancer of the prostate. We fight cancer on a regular basis. Every person in the world has at least a few cancer cells at this instant. Cancer cells have a hard time being detected by our immune system so certain histamine reactions are needed to fight the cancer when it's small. Eating or drinking things in your diet can trigger these responses and keep the body almost cancer free.

Just because the test says you have cancer cells doesn't mean your body isn't going to fight it and win. When cancer gets a hold on you than that's the time to have it checked out, after a symptom shows up. All these tests that aren't necessary bring up insurance costs and then companies won't afford to give health care benefits. Look at the increase in health care costs over the last ten or so years.....fifteenyears.....thirty years...... A lot more companies had health insurance benefits thirty years ago when it was a lot cheaper.


Can you source that?

Last year it was early detection of breast cancer isn't needed.

ATS thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...


Now prostate cancer?
edit on 31-7-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 



Men should have a digital rectal exam and the PSA (blood test to detect cancer antigens), annually, and if symptoms present themselves such as frequent urination, inability to empty the bladder, getting up at night to urinate, urinary tract infections, sexual impotence, et cetera; this should be brought to your doctor's attention.


This part I agree with, it is just the intrusive colonoscopy that I disagree with.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by beezzer
 



Men should have a digital rectal exam and the PSA (blood test to detect cancer antigens), annually, and if symptoms present themselves such as frequent urination, inability to empty the bladder, getting up at night to urinate, urinary tract infections, sexual impotence, et cetera; this should be brought to your doctor's attention.


This part I agree with, it is just the intrusive colonoscopy that I disagree with.


But it's the PSA tests that they want to limit!

Except

This recommendation does not include the use of the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) test for surveillance after diagnosis or treatment of prostate cancer; the use of the PSA test for this indication is outside the scope of the USPSTF.


AFTER you've been diagnosed or treated!



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
www.mayoclinic.com...=risks

Potential risks
The potential risks of the PSA test relate to the choices you make based on the test results, such as the decision to undergo further testing and treatment for prostate cancer. The risks include:

Biopsy issues. A biopsy is an expensive, invasive procedure that carries its own risks, including pain, bleeding and infection.
Psychological effects. False-positive test results — high PSA levels but no cancer found with biopsy — can produce a significant amount of anxiety or distress. You may be inclined to worry about whether the PSA test or the biopsy was correct. If you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, but it appears to be a slow-growing tumor that doesn't result in illness, you may experience significant anxiety just knowing it's there.


I do not see any danger of getting cancer on the list. I do note that a biopsy is expensive.


Maybe they should have consulted with The American Urological Association who recommend that men talk to their doctors about getting a baseline PSA test at age 40.

Some people believe their spouses would still be alive if they had this baseline PSA test, Jean Fogelberg, wife of Dan Fogelberg for one. Dan died at age 56.
edit on 7/31/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady
 

Thank you for the data.

I get my PSA checked every year. I have been since I was 43. PSA still less than 1.




posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer
 


I've read many articles about this. I even ran into the cause of the weakening of the immune system to fighting this and a few other cancers. I can't remember exactly what the problem came from but just readjusted my diet for these things. I should really write this stuff down as I investigate it. It's a common food chemistry that increases your risk of prostate cancer, took lots of digging within medical research to find that and translate it with research to different common foods. If I remember right, It is an overindulgence in a food classified as a certain antihistamine or antioxidant that makes us more susceptible. I remember that part. Trouble is they are adding all sorts of antihistamines to foods nowadays so we don't show signs of a histamine response to them. Food making our tummies upset makes us not buy more of their foods.

Moderation is he clue to health. Cox 2 inhibitors help fight cancer but create problems with arteries and the heart if overused. These are common pain meds. they keep inflammation down. This subject is very complex with many common things being necessary in diet at timings that are impossible to predict. Except by yourself and your spouse or kids. I believe everything we eat needs an antidote or companion food to make it acceptible for us. Some of these needed companion nutrients can be stored by the body and others can't. Some the body can produce others can't but either way, all nutrients have to be available at the time the body needs to produce them. I could write a two thousand page book on this stuff, but I cannot tell one individual what to eat or not to eat. Cravings and properly interpreting the cravings is the best way to fight off diseases and stay healthy.
edit on 31-7-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by drbatstein
reply to post by beezzer
 


The scanning is causing cancer most likely, like with the breast scans


I "used" to get PSA tests every year.
edit on 31-7-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Well..now many will substitute the PSA with TSA for the same test
One way or the other few will get the test free of cost



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by drbatstein
reply to post by beezzer
 


The scanning is causing cancer most likely, like with the breast scans


I "used" to get PSA tests every year.
edit on 31-7-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

Well..now many will substitute the PSA with TSA for the same test
One way or the other few will get the test free of cost


Not unless they buy me dinner first!



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
god help us....so many people are dying from cancer



  exclusive video


top topics
 
18
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join