It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer, there's a robbery in progress! Sorry, I'm off the clock.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

“I ran around to the driver’s side of his vehicle, and said, ‘Hey, there’s a robbery going on just down the block here,’” Anderson said. “I figured that would be faster than calling 9-1-1.”

Anderson said the officer was in uniform, driving a marked patrol car about a block from the robbery.

“He told me he was off duty and I should call 911,” said Rob Anderson, 31. “He rolled up his window and drove away.”

When the officer declined to help, Anderson did dial 9-1-1.

Off-Duty cop refuses to help

The SCOTUS did rule that cops have no responsibility to protect anyone.

I am always amazed by the whole "brave men and women" and "help them get home safe" crap that we're supposed to fawn over.

On that note I heard a commercial on the radio describing out solid waste workers as "brave" and having a "dangerous" job and asking us all to "help them get home safe."

Nobody is going to look out for you but you.

ETA the trash man PSA:

Help them get home safe.
edit on 30-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Ohh come on, he was off duty!

That's like a client of my work hating on me because I didn't send her an appointment letter on my day off lol.

Its not like it was a murder happening.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
The SCOTUS did rule that cops have no responsibility to protect anyone.

lol then we should have no responsibility to listen to them. should have said two cops got shot over here and need help hurry! then later back away into the crowd and disappear

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

My job is hardly as "important" as a cops job and in the interest of public reputation I always step up when off-duty and called upon.

The very least he could have radioed it in rather than tell the citizen to go call 9-1-1.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Sinny

My job is hardly as "important" as a cops job and in the interest of public reputation I always step up when off-duty and called upon.

The very least he could have radioed it in rather than tell the citizen to go call 9-1-1.

Agreed. Someone always has to be the counter-arguement, even if it makes no sense.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Ohh come on, he was off duty! That's like a client of my work hating on me because I didn't send her an appointment letter on my day off lol. Its not like it was a murder happening.

Is that sarcasm?

at the very least he could of radioed it in as that would of been much faster than the man calling 911...

but he didn't because they would of told him to get off his ass and check it out...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

but he didn't because they would of told him to get off his ass and check it out...

Having spent a few years working at a union shop myself he may have actually had a worthwhile concern.

If caught working when he was off the clock the union could have strung him up.

You cant take one extra step without the unions approval or you lose your job.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Typical. No Hero Archetype here.....just a bureaucrat with a badge.
Sad yet no surprise (could have been worse tho...he could have been from the New Orleans Police Dept [post Katrina] and was the getaway driver!)

edit on 30-7-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton

reply to post by Sinny

Agreed. Someone always has to be the counter-arguement, even if it makes no sense.

But it does make sense
If i were him, I would have intervened, I'm just defending him as he's not here to defend him self, and offering an alternative perspective.

Once again emotion gets in the way of normal debate.

and if we didn't have counter arguments, we wouldn't get very far in life now would we...
edit on 30-7-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You cant have it both ways, is being a cop a regular job where you work the hours your paid for?

Or does it come with special privileges, such as being able to be a "cop" off duty too?

In that instance the special privileges would have been put to good use, but in other circumstances they could be put to negative use, like we've seen so many times.

As I say, we cant just pick and choose, so we need to actually set boundaries.

(again, just an alternative view point)
edit on 30-7-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

You cant have it both ways, is being a cop a regular job where you work the hours your paid for? Or does it come with special privileges, such as being able to be a "cop" off duty too?

So being a cop removes the duty of being a good citizen, doing one person a favor and using the radio right in front of him to send for help...

Yea that makes sense.

Cops get to carry their gun "off duty" just in case as well, so again it does have those special privileges, things like being able to buy a gun as well while off duty and getting it with out any of the waiting periods the rest of us have.

So yeah, with power come responsibility.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
You cant have it both ways, is being a cop a regular job where you work the hours your paid for?

Or does it come with special privileges, such as being able to be a "cop" off duty too?

I was thinking about this myself a little bit.

I hear quite often that cops are "always on duty" from a lot of cops. A couple of them in my family.

So are they? Or are they only when it's convenient?

The entire concept of an "off-duty" gun would seem to indicate that they are always on duty. As would the ability to carry a firearm anywhere in the country simply for being a cop.

Maybe those "perks" should be revoked?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well In the past week Ive had an awakening when it comes to cops, been personally affected by abuse of power by the cops.

Id say its when its Convenient for them.

And they want to regulate guns more... When the people we pay to protect us are either too lazy, or too incompetent that sounds like a time to lessen gun control not increase it.

Yet we constantly have examples of SUB-par cops like this, just do a search on ATS, im sure you'll see a bunch of examples of cops screwing up just this month alone.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

I was thinking about this myself a little bit.

I hear quite often that cops are "always on duty" from a lot of cops. A couple of them in my family.

The entire concept of an "off-duty" gun would seem to indicate that they are always on duty. As would the ability to carry a firearm anywhere in the country simply for being a cop.

Maybe those "perks" should be revoked?

Exactly what you said... The whole situation deserves much debate and consideration.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
People may complain about those actions, but it's a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation. If he did something and somebody got hurt, they'd be all over him with lawsuits and anything else they can think of.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hi,
I was told by a cop once that I had to report it to dispatch because cops have to be dispatched to the location.

It wasn't a robbery in progress though, but I think the same happened with this "off-duty" cop.
He was in the middle of a report and didn't want to be bothered...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
i dont know where this idea
of cops being like John McClain from die hard came about, never really been like that, never will.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
People may complain about those actions, but it's a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation. If he did something and somebody got hurt, they'd be all over him with lawsuits and anything else they can think of.

You mean like radioing it in?

In that case cops shouldnt do anything whatsoever whenever if they're afraid of "damned if you do".

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
yert people still wonder why store owners and private civvies carry firearms...
for a cop to tell someone theyre 'off duty' while in uniform and driving as marked car is beyone stupid
you'd NEVER see an EMT pass an accident because he was 'off duty'
Pathetic LEO

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Usually on the news and stuff when we hear about an off-duty cop coming to save the day; he has himself as a witness and a conscience to abide by oath to serve and protect. When he witnesses a crime, he's Johnny on the spot.

When he doesn't witness, he risks running into a trap, or an ambush.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join