It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creepy Computer-Generated Avatar Greets Travelers At Newark Liberty.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hi.

Well I searched using the title of the article and didn't find this topic.

newyork.cbslocal.com...

The computer is a little creepy but beyond that I wonder why they didn't hire a few humans and put them to work?

It says they paid $180,000 for 'Libby' and four other machines. They could have easily paid five people to do the job imo.

The future was among the arrivals at Newark Airport on Friday, in the form of a computer-generated greeter at the gate.

The Port Authority purchased five machines like Libby. You’ll soon see them at John F. Kennedy International and LaGuardia airports.

“I think it’s scary. Its eyes follow you,” a traveler said.

“It’s really odd the way her eyes follow you. It’s really odd!” a man added.

So is there more to this than what meets the eyes? Is it just a greeter or some type of security?

Are they watching you?

(Video on web page.)

edit on 29-7-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Weve had them in the UK for years, its about as close as we can get to holograms so far, I personaly think there pretty cool. A step in the right direction as far as im concerned, using technology for menial tasks is a GOOD thing.

They just spout information service advice about locations of things etc, offers all that sort of stuff, think they can pretty much be programmed to broadcast anything you like.
edit on 29-7-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
1. Not everything is a horrid conspiracy
2. Welcome to the future, handle it or stop going places.
3. If you think this is weird, then good luck when AI greeters and interface personalities become mainstream.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
1. Not everything is a horrid conspiracy
2. Welcome to the future, handle it or stop going places.
3. If you think this is weird, then good luck when AI greeters and interface personalities become mainstream.

Is the current conspiracy obsessed generation breeding a new form of technophobia?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Seems to be, its a pretty worrying trend ive spotted for a while now, im not entirely sure where this agenda is coming from but its as though many people dont want to see or enjoy a technological golden age. Its a shame peoples fears get the better of them so much.

Im surprised no one has leveled an accusation of witchcraft yet and attempted to burn that projection.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I thinks it's kinda cool... And creepy at the same time.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murad

Seems to be, its a pretty worrying trend ive spotted for a while now, im not entirely sure where this agenda is coming from but its as though many people dont want to see or enjoy a technological golden age. Its a shame peoples fears get the better of them so much.

Im surprised no one has leveled an accusation of witchcraft yet and attempted to burn that projection.

We'll have to wait and see.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I bet the air travel companies love libby! Well at least the share holders and such! I wonder what her daily wage is? Maybe she costs a couple pounds a day! lol

It wouldn't be so bad if there were jobs to replace hers but I don't see them anywhere...

It's like the supermarkets now, they all have self service checkouts... Don't get me wrong I like them and use them but the thing is they do take jobs off the market!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Unjustifiably so. If we fear progress to the point of stagnation then we cripple our selves and our chance to become truly greater. The more we fear it, the more it is kept out of the hands of the populace. Therefore, it stays in the hands of the elite, since it is blocked from mainstream by the Technophobia ridden minds of fear. It's a self fulfilling prophecy at that point, and people are scared of technology for a good reason when it isn't widely distributed. The only way to combat it is acceptance and distribution.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Sure, they could have hired 5 people at $36,000 a year instead of getting these computers, but with humans comes errors, the cost of health care, unemployment, workmans comp, other insurance, payroll tax, etc... the computers are much cheaper and never call in sick.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

That is exactly what my husband and I were talking about, they can spend thousand of dollars on computer bull crap that is bound to malfunction often and cost thousands on repairs and maintenance but they can not contribute to help the unemployment crisis abroad with hiring more humans.

Is despicable, how corporate dictatorship careless about what humanity is facing in this economic and global crisis but have not problem increasing unemployment rates.

The future is great already, if you are a machine making profits to the corporate elite

What a shame.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Maybe we should have just abandoned both the agricultural and industrial revolutions for the sake of what impact this would have on unemployment?, whats progress and the adoption of technology for the advancement of society right?

Man, I wish I was a peasant toiling in the fields in some agrarian pre industrial society getting the plague, those were the days.
edit on 29-7-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

It's a natural progression.

There's a local store near me that people are boycotting. The owner sacked all his employees, who were local kids, and hired all Chinese staff. They(the new Chinese employees) are never late, never argue with him, work very hard, work for less, don't call in sick, don't steal, don't slack off, etc. What do people expect, he's running a business, not a day care center for teenagers.

It's the same with technology, it always has been, since the industrial revolution. Why get 10 men with shovels to dig a hole when one man with a JCB can do the job.

It has nothing to do with a 'corporate elite'.

edit on 29-7-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Murad

It pains me that people tend to look at the progress and forget the victims of such hard times, obviously education have failed

If think that the pony show of Broadway style musical in the opening of the Olympic games is a romantic view reality of what the industrial revolution was, you are mistaken

As usual the road of power is pave with the blood of the Innocent

This is the reality of the industrial revolution my friend.

Child Labor during the British Industrial Revolution

eh.net...

Child labor in factories
A new workforce during the Industrial Revolution

www2.needham.k12.ma.us...

It is sad that new generations forget that history is not something sometimes to brag about.

Fortunes were made, wealth was reap but at the cost of children slave labor and blood

How about that for a history lesson.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Well you got me worry my friend at least Chinese are humans I thought you were to say that computer generated Avatars were the ones been taking over the human work force.

edit on 29-7-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Thread is about Technology not child labor and the industrial revolution. Right? Smug one you are with your history lesson.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

It says they paid $180,000 for 'Libby' and four other machines. They could have easily paid five people to do the job imo.

Exactly !

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
so its like that one guy from the movie Time Machine, were he talks to a computer-lized persona at the library

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

Thread is about Technology not child labor and the industrial revolution. Right? Smug one you are with your history lesson.

I take that as a compliment but obviously you failed to read my previous post on the subject.

Still this waste of money and labor, technology is getting the zombie generation more use to lack of privacy, lack of human interaction and more brainwashing.

If information is what you need that is what internet ready phones are for.

If interractions with another human being is what you seek I guess an 180 thousand plus machine will be all you will get, perhaps for those that have not time to deal with other humans this machines will become a priority of pesonal companion in the future.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I honestly don't think human interaction is under threat.

Of course culturally how we communicate will always be changing and evolving, but I really see it as cause and effect, and no, I personally don't see a sinister aspect to it.

However, I am old enough to remember a time before mobile phones, for example, and I can see how they have affected our interactions with one another. So I think I know where you're coming from. But this is just the way it is and there are both positives and negatives to everything.

I recently had a chat with an old gent about handwriting, I haven't written a letter to anyone for years, and he was telling me how he doesn't use a mobile phone or computer but writes to his friends with a proper feather quill and ink.

new topics

top topics

join