It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-95, Abram, Leopard 2 - Which Is The BEST !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Best Tank: M1A2-Abram, T-95 Black Eagle or Leopard 2
Tanks are the ultimate weapon on the battlefield, relied on by nearly all of the worlds great military powers. But when it comes down to it which one is the best.
The main contenders being Americans M1A1-Abrams, Russias Formidible T-95 Black Eagle or the mighty gun of the German Leopard 2 ?

Out of the 3 I would rate the T-95 Black Eagle as being the best, with its improved protection and armor piercing ability it out classes the other 2. But the battle proven M1A2-Abrams is battle proven and hasn't lost a fight yet ?
And the brilliance of German Tank designing dates back to WW2.

I'll Leave it up to YOU guys to decide

3D Interpratation Of What The End Product Will Look Like

Actual Shot Of The T-95 Black Eagle MBT (Although Not A Good One)

The Mighty M1A2 - Abrham
The Better Looking Of The 3

You Must Chose !!!

[edit on 9-10-2004 by Kenshin]

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I think we need the British Challenger 2 and the Israeli Merkava Mk.4 on this list to be fair.

Its so hard to pick the best because they all have things they do great. I favor the Abrams and Challenger because they are battle proven designs that pretty much kicked A$$ in combat.

posted on Oct, 9 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Yes they did show flawless victory in there battles, BUT they were against poorly maintaned outdated Soviet designs.

The reason I chose the T-95, Abram and Leopard 2 was because they are the latest tanks from the worlds 3 greatest tank designers ( Russia, America & Germany )

The Challenger is a fine tank but ... its a bit old

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Is it just me or in the 3D Interpratation of the T-95 is that a automated machinegun turret?

I think that is a great idea for a tank why would you want a person to stick his body outside on of the most armoured places on the battle field. I think that is the future of all turret machineguns. The US is already testing such a system called RAVEN I believe in Iraq on the armoured Humvees,

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I know I thought that to, if they were looking for maximum protection in a tank they should have somehow enclosed the Mounted machine gun, i have no idea how they should have enclosed it ... but it needs to be done, that 3D drawing isnt from a reliable source ... so don't trust everything you see on it

But I love the colour scheme

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   

The reason I chose the T-95, Abram and Leopard 2 was because they are the latest tanks from the worlds 3 greatest tank designers ( Russia, America & Germany )

Is Britian not one of your "worlds greatest tank designers"?... strange that, seeing as we have a long history of making some bloody good tanks that have been battle proven (might I say against Russian tanks, not so great designers then)...these include the Chieftan and the Challie 1 amongst others. Plus, we invented the damn things in the first place....

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Is Britian not one of your "worlds greatest tank designers"?... strange that, seeing as we have a long history of making some bloody good tanks that have been battle proven (might I say against Russian tanks, not so great designers then)...these include the Chieftan and the Challie 1 amongst others. Plus, we invented the damn things in the first place....

pfffffff Yes Britain were the first country to develop the tank, they weren't the best designs. The tanks they had during WW2 were nothing compared to the Germans, German panthers could penertrate anything the british had from over a kilometer away, unlike the british tank crews who had to be at least 100m away from the German tanks

During WW2 the Russians came up with brilliant tank designs T-34 have you heard of THAT, the T-34 was the main reason the panzer armies were defeated. The T-34 was considered by many to be the best tank of WW2. Another one of Russia's great tank designs during that period was the IS-2 heavy tank, which had excellent protection and a powerful gun.

As for now the American, Russian & German tank developers are by far the best in the world. The days of the Challenger are long of with the development of the T-95 Black Bird, M1A2- Abram & the Leopard 2.

Stumason

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Consider that the M1A2/Leapord 2 use british armour...

Also consider that the Abrams design goes back to the earliest challenger... they are of equal age.. not forgetting that the challenger II is a substantial upgrade with an entirely new turret and second genereration Chobham Armour (M1A2 uses only 1st gen)

Among our tank succes's, The British centurion was used by the Isreali's to defeat Egypt ten years after we had ditched the tank and moved on...

To say that Britain is not at the center, or at the very least, enormously influential in tank and armoured vehicle design is simply ignorance

Centurion:

Chieftan:

Challenger:

Challenger II:

[edit on 10-10-2004 by Lucretius]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I thought they dropped the chobham armor in the a1 and a2 to HA standard, which is DU armour.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
well ... i'd i have to say i'd much rather be labled ignorant than to say that the british tank developers were in the same league as there Russian, American and German counterparts

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
I thought they dropped the chobham armor in the a1 and a2 to HA standard, which is DU armour.

thanks,
drfunk

No they use DU plates bolted on top of the chobham hull...

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kenshin
well ... i'd i have to say i'd much rather be labled ignorant than to say that the british tank developers were in the same league as there Russian, American and German counterparts

And thus you reveal your immaturity...

Come back after you have done some research

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Lucretius

where is your proof of that, lable what you cant handle as 'ignorance' or 'immaturity'

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
thanks for the info Lucretius
. Firstly, the M1a2 is an awesome tank with proven combat capabilities and also takes advantage of network-centric warfare with its comms datalinks. I am a real big fan of Russian tanks, traditionally they are cheap, durable, can be produced in their thousands fast compared to western designs and can fight nearly anywhere while western tanks have many problems in many different environs. I am expecting great things of the T-95 I believe it will be a great tank. Also the Challenger II, Merkava mk.4 and Leopard II are high quality tanks that can dominate a battlefield.

But my money goes on the M1a2, this is a winning design IMO the greatest tank of the late 20th century and a testament to American and German engineering and manufacturing technologies.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   

During WW2 the Russians came up with brilliant tank designs T-34 have you heard of THAT, the T-34 was the main reason the panzer armies were defeated. The T-34 was considered by many to be the best tank of WW2. Another one of Russia's great tank designs during that period was the IS-2 heavy tank, which had excellent protection and a powerful gun.

Yes, i am fully aware of the tanks of WW2. And I agree that German tanks where superior, especially the panzer IV and above, although they weren't available in serious numbers to counter the huge Soviet numerical advantage.
The T-34 was a good tank, but not superior to the Germans, there are many accounts of 1 or 2 Tigers holding off a whole swarm of T-34's, whose guns could only penetrate the german armour from a few hundred yards, whereas the germans had excellent killing power from excessive range (150mm guns on the largest Tigers).
Now the KV-1 was a good Soviet heavy tank which could rival the Tiger in killing power, but the Soviet policy was one of mass numbers, not superior tech, and they could never match the Werhmacht for quality of their tanks.

And to belittle the British tank industry, which has supplied tanks all over the world as anything other than World class is a little ignorant.

There was a documentary after the war last year on BBC, where they examined how Iraq was defeated. An american marine Colonel in charge of looking after all the captured Iraqi hardware stated that if the Iraqis actually stood and fought, they could have held the Americans for several months...what tanks did they have I wonder? Chieftans and Challenger tanks.
They acquired them off us, as we had originally planned to sell them to the Shar in Iran, but then the Shah fell, and we flogged them to Saddam instead.

The original Challenger was an offshoot of the Chieftan, but the Challenger 2 is a radically different design, with much improved tech.

The American Abrams actually uses a gun made by Royal Ordnance, optics made by pilkington Glass, and British armour..... so how can you say we do not make quality tanks?

The Russians have always been good at building stuff, but they can never afford they're own gear, they will sell this on to China or someone..

Granted, the Leopard is a quality tank, seen it in action, moves like lightning and can shoot a Gnat off a cows arse, so I'll give it to the Germans, they know tanks inside out...they took our baby and made it their own.

[edit on 10-10-2004 by stumason]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kenshin

Lucretius

where is your proof of that, lable what you cant handle as 'ignorance' or 'immaturity'

Maybe lack of knowledge than?

here is your evidence

and here

and here as well

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
thanks for the info Lucretius
. Firstly, the M1a2 is an awesome tank with proven combat capabilities and also takes advantage of network-centric warfare with its comms datalinks. I am a real big fan of Russian tanks, traditionally they are cheap, durable, can be produced in their thousands fast compared to western designs and can fight nearly anywhere while western tanks have many problems in many different environs. I am expecting great things of the T-95 I believe it will be a great tank. Also the Challenger II, Merkava mk.4 and Leopard II are high quality tanks that can dominate a battlefield.

But my money goes on the M1a2, this is a winning design IMO the greatest tank of the late 20th century and a testament to American and German engineering and manufacturing technologies.

thanks,
drfunk

Glad to help... personally there is no way to tell which tank is supperior other than educated guesswork... but at the end of the day they are in a league of their own, so I don't really think we should be worrying about which can defeat which... more "which will look best on my mantlepiece"

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Lucretius

Glad to help... personally there is no way to tell which tank is supperior other than educated guesswork... but at the end of the day they are in a league of their own, so I don't really think we should be worrying about which can defeat which... more "which will look best on my mantlepiece"

I agree, there is no telling which tank is best. All are great at different things, Armor,speed,mobility, power. But even though the T-95 is my personel favourite, I'll have to give it to the Germans, they are the elite of tank designers of this century

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think we need the British Challenger 2 and the Israeli Merkava Mk.4 on this list to be fair.

Its so hard to pick the best because they all have things they do great. I favor the Abrams and Challenger because they are battle proven designs that pretty much kicked A$$ in combat.

not to mention that they can kill any tank at such a range that the bad guy tank is still out of range when it gets hit. gee hee. ahhh westen armor, reach out and touch someone.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Last i checked the Abrams used the German Rheinmetall GmbH of Ratingen L44 tank gun

I prefere the STRV 122, which is a Leo 2 but with better communication technology, including datalinks between the tanks and command central.

[Edited on 20-10-2004 by AlexKall]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join