It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City of Crystal Springs reacts to black couple's wedding banned from Baptist Church

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I'm not sure what forum this should go in.

CRYSTAL SPRINGS, MS (WLBT) - People in Crystal Springs and around the country are weighing in on an eye-opening story you saw first on WLBT News Thursday.

An African American couple was not allowed to get married at a predominantly white church.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were all set to have their wedding ceremony at the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, until a group of members said they didn't want the ceremony held there because of the couple's race.

City of Crystal Springs react....

Wow what can you say about this? 2012 and Racism is alive and well in Mississippi and in Church. How are these people gonna feel when heaven is multicultural, like these people will ever see heaven!!

The only one engaging in racism is you. You wouldn't be offended if a Native American Shaman refused to marry and African American couple because of racial differences. Under UN International Law, what your demanding is a form of genocide.

What you and the acceptance crowd seem to demand is forced acceptance. In the end, some people just want to be among their own kind. And as long as the group which wants to be apart is not actively persecuting or oppressing another group of people(by preventing them from building their own Church), then they should be left alone.

This would be no different then if that couple sought out an Amish, Mennonite, Hasidic and other separatist group's and demanding the usage of their facilities.

We should all be equal before the law, We should all be equally protected by the law, but how individuals conduct their own affairs should be up to them.

To people like you, Caucasian's are only non racist if they willingly allow themselves to be destroyed to prove how "not racist" they are.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

You might want to look at the last post on the thread before poping a blood vessel. Gezzz

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Sounds like the couple went out of their way to choose a church that might cause controversy.

Great way to receive unexpected wedding gifts. $$$$

I smell a scam.

The Wilsons regularly attend the predominantly white church, though they are not members.

Looks like you are just making excuses for racists.

I wonder why someone would make excuses for racists...curious...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I'll say what everyone says to me and my partner of the same sex. "Church is a private institution and can do whatever the hell they want".

Sucks when the shoe is on the other foot eh all you babtist africans?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

The Wilsons regularly attend the predominantly white church, though they are not members.

I always thought if you attended a certain church regularly you were considered a member (no double entendre). So good enough to attend, just not get married.

This story pisses me off to no end.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I'm not sure what forum this should go in.

CRYSTAL SPRINGS, MS (WLBT) - People in Crystal Springs and around the country are weighing in on an eye-opening story you saw first on WLBT News Thursday.

An African American couple was not allowed to get married at a predominantly white church.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were all set to have their wedding ceremony at the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, until a group of members said they didn't want the ceremony held there because of the couple's race.

City of Crystal Springs react....

Wow what can you say about this? 2012 and Racism is alive and well in Mississippi and in Church. How are these people gonna feel when heaven is multicultural, like these people will ever see heaven!!

More division tactics.

Blacks vs White protestants.

Cowboys vs Redskins

Chevy vs Ford.

Coke vs Pepsi.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

You might want to look at the last post on the thread before poping a blood vessel. Gezzz

No. It is not so much the incident, but the concept that people think they have a right to force themselves onto other people. Because the Church are Grade A, A &*(^&^ for canceling at the last minute. That was a Jerk thing.

Me personally I don't care much for communist's. But if a bunch of Communist's wanted to start a Commune would I interfere or harras them? No, I would leave them alone and wish them the best. If say a Black Separatist Camp was built near where I lived would I bug them? No, I would let them be and keep on living my life wishing them the best.

I like diversity, but all this acceptance garbage will lead to sameness; no black, no white, just something boring in-between. So I think diversity is worth protecting. That and like I said, every person should have a right to be amongst their own kind. It is a terribly cruel thing to grow up or forced to live isolated from ones ethnic community. Isolated from ones past, ones culture, ones unique history.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Of course they regret their actions after all the media attention.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Reply to post by korathin

Your opinion on this does not make sense to me. Your entire argument is basically about seperate but equal racism. That doesnt really apply to this situation. The black couple regularly attended the church, nobody cared. The church clearly was not trying to keep the congregation all white. The problem arose when they wanted to get married. As to your ridiculous point about mixing between races causing everyone to lose their culture....this was a black couple. So it would not be an interracial marriage and nobody would be 'losing' their culture.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Dude...you're trying to talk sense into a fundemental?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Sounds like the couple went out of their way to choose a church that might cause controversy.
I smell a scam.

I smell another instance of deflecting an argument by blaming the victim.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017Marriage originated from a religious ceremony any damn way. Just because the 'Government' decides to recognize, what some jack wagons call... a 'civil' union is the only thing that gave you the feeling that you have the 'right' to do something about it. You don't like it, well too damn bad... because maybe they don't like your lifestyle. So what now? You learn to be tolerant of intolerance, you have to be... it's either that, or we dictate one another. Well, I like freedom... I know I don't want my life dictated for me!

This 'church' can do whatever the hell pleases them(pun intended)...
Don't support this church if you do not agree...
Sure... cry, bitch, and complain... but as soon as someone suggests that 'something should be done', that's where the line finds a new vertex and creates a geometry of philosophy that can't carry it's own weight.

First of all, Christianity DID NOT invent marriage and the Christian faith DOES NOT hold a copyright.
Secondly, marriage ceremonies have existed in cultures long before Christianity invaded and stole concepts of existing religions to placate and indoctrinate - and in the case of the Pagan faith - desecrate.

Thirdly, I sense you allude to gay marriage in your post...

Severus of Antioch in the sixth century explained that "we should not separate in speech [Serge and Bacchus] who were joined in life." More bluntly, in the definitive 10th century Greek account of their lives, St. Serge is openly described as the "sweet companion and lover" of St. Bacchus.
In other words, it confirms what the earlier icon implies, that they were a homosexual couple who enjoyed a celebrated gay marriage.

Being non-Christian, I really couldn't care less what some racist church in the USA does. It has no bearing on my life.

But, like others, I have as much a right to an opinion as anyone, and I think it's disgusting that so many people "claim" to be Christian, when they exhibit attitudes and behaviours that go directly AGAINST the fundamental principals of their own faith.

These people should be ashamed to call themselves Christian. They do a disservice to all those with GENUINE Christian values.

They are some of the most disgusting Humans on the planet.

If I were the head of that church, the first thing I would do is turn down their arrogant "demands". The second thing I would do is post the names of those with such sickening attitudes on the door of the church. Then I would marry the couple in their own church as they wished. Finally I would leave, and move to a more progressive church where the congregation actually understands what it means to be Christian, and where it's not used as a cloak for racism, homophobia and general ignorance.

But like I said, this story means little to me other than reminding me why I despise organized religion so much.

The fake Christians are forever doing a great job of making their faith look intolerant, bigoted and hateful. They are dinosaurs, fading out all over the planet. This kind of example only does more to hasten the demise of their church, and for that I applaud their efforts!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I smell a scam.

I smell another instance of deflecting an argument by blaming the victim.

Indeed, the couple were members of the congregation.

Some people love to excuse racism in all sorts of amazing ways

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by HandyDandy
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Dude...you're trying to talk sense into a fundemental?

Dude, like OMG DUDE! It is like so fundamental to hate on wanna be NAZI's who try to shove their garbage of sameness down everyone's throat, like totally dude!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The church agreed to allow them to marry in the church until the day before the wedding. The church held a meeting, issues were raised and the congregation decided they didn't want a black couple to marry in there church!

Did you read the article or are you judging based on the title of the thread! Read and comprehend what happened before judging!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

www.thetowntalk.com...|head
Mississippi Baptist church apologizes for banning black wedding

"As a church, we express our apology to Te'Andrea and Charles Wilson for the hurt that was brought to them in the hours preceding their wedding and beyond."

The bride's family, the Hendersons, continued to attend the church, saying that they had faith in Pastor Stan Weatherford and the congregation, and felt the moving of the wedding was simply due to some unfriendly church members.

The bride's family, the Hendersons, continued to attend the church, saying that they had faith in Pastor Stan Weatherford

Don't know how one rights this wrong, but they do apparently have black members, so I don't understand the parishioners that objected reasoning,

I would love to hear what they said, but that wont ever happen.

edit on 103131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Rev. Stan Weatherford, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, left, hugs Rev. Fitzgerald Lovett, pastor of New Zion United Methodist Church during a prayer rally in support of racial reconciliation Monday, July 30, 2012 following the actions of some congregants at the First Baptist Church which prevented a black couple from getting married there. Photo: Rogelio V. Solis / AP

Read more: www.greenwichtime.com...

Good maybe this will enlighten even the darkest heart and something positive will come out of it.

wanted to add
Earlier this year, the convention elected its first black president

Earlier this year, the convention elected its first black president

Nationwide, about 19 percent of 45,000 Southern Baptist churches are majority-minority, including 3,500 that are majority black.

Earlier this year, the convention elected its first black president, the Rev. Fred Luter Jr. of Franklin Avenue Baptist Church in New Orleans. At the same meeting, delegates voted to give churches the option of calling themselves Great Commission Baptist churches, for those who wish to break free of the Southern Baptist name to seek more followers.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Any church which discriminates against another based on their race is in violation against God's own proclamation which is "God will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth." (1 Tim 2:4) And yes, some churches give Christians a bad name. If I were the preacher at this congregation, I would leave. It is an obvious point in hypocrisy.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by korathin

Your opinion on this does not make sense to me. Your entire argument is basically about seperate but equal racism. That doesnt really apply to this situation. The black couple regularly attended the church, nobody cared. The church clearly was not trying to keep the congregation all white. The problem arose when they wanted to get married. As to your ridiculous point about mixing between races causing everyone to lose their culture....this was a black couple. So it would not be an interracial marriage and nobody would be 'losing' their culture.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Yeah, they probably should have just moved in together....
AND kept attending the church!

edit on 6-8-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join