It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Technology Lets People Write Just With Their Eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
linky

Not only is this great for people who are disabled.
But I'm sure this eye tracking technology can be adapted for military uses.
And other eye tracking functions.
You can make a nice heads up display with this i'm sure.

Patients without the ability to use their limbs may have a new way to communicate, thanks to researchers in France. This offers hope to sufferers of strokes, spinal injuries, or degenerative diseases such as ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, who may be left without the ability to type, pick up a pen, or even speak.

The researchers developed a system that allows users to write in cursive on a video monitor using only their eyes. Dr. Jean Lorenceau of the Universite Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris has developed a method for translating eye movements into writing on a screen, and by doing so has simultaneously advanced possibilities for patients and solved a tricky puzzle posed by biology. The results are in today's issue of the journal Current Biology.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

S and F
that's really amazing

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I'd like to see a video. Eye tracking has been around for a LONG time. I don't think its that impressive. I would rather see something that allows for more rapid translation.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

That is so cewl. Lately I've been suffering from CPS, using my computers too much. Heck, my hands pain so much that I almost cry when I have to click a mouse-button, so I can see myself using that.... but maybe, a new symptom from moving your eyes so much will develop, and maybe it will be called EPS. (Eye-carpal syndrome).

I think the ideal computer interface would still be a direct neural implant.... hmmm, having a wireless interface directly between my brain and a computer, that would be heaven

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

You can already do that with this device since years ago: link
And best of all it only costs $99 or so and includes eye tracking and muscle detectors.
edit on 27-7-2012 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Here's another recent tech that lets you type only using your thoughts.

Mind-reading Speller

top topics

join