It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maryland authorities thwart alleged mass shooting plot, seize 'arsenal of weapons'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

DEVELOPING: Maryland authorities have thwarted an alleged mass shooting plot and seized an "arsenal of weapons," Fox News has learned.

WJLA-TV reports that police foiled what they believe would have been a mass shooting by an Anne Arundel County man. The station, citing police sources, said the suspect was about to get fired from his job. He was arrested in Crofton, Md., Thursday night.

A source close to the investigation confirmed the report to Fox News, saying the "subject is emotionally disturbed." The man called up his workplace and threatened to shoot people, the source said.

When police took the man into custody, they found an "arsenal" of weapons inside his home.

The Prince George's County Police Department is planning a news conference on the investigation at 1 p.m. today.

Maryland

If this man really was planning a mass shooting, it is great that they stopped it. Unfortunately, I'm guessing that he probably just got drunk and started saying stupid stuff because he was mad at his employer. Now all of his weapons have been confiscated and TPTB just have one more case to "justify" their cause. Obviously we won't know for sure until more evidence is released if he actually was planning a shooting or just making threats that he wouldn't have followed through with.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Can't wait to hear what the arsenal was.

By media standards arsenals are three or five guns.

By media standards I must be hoarding enough weaponry to arm a rogue nation.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

1 down...many to go I fear. I'm glad that got him and he was so self destructive as to call and flip on the alarm bells for everyone. Nothing like phoning his intentions to get everyone else's fingers to dialing the 3 magic numbers.

I will be curious to see what Maryland calls an arsenal. In this part of the nation I don't think you even get to use the word until you're into your SECOND gun safe and packing enough ammo to make the Nat'l Guard armory feel kinda wimpy. Then...it's a proper arsenal! In Maryland? I wonder if a couple BB guns and a .22 squirrel gun might qualify, depending on who doing the statement.

Either way... He called himself by the sound of it, made clear he's a fruit loop about to snap from losing his job. He needed picked up before people got killed. Sounds like a job well done for a change!

@ Just caught the clarification below on 'Arsenal'...and damn, I guess he might have had a proper one! That takes real serious money....he did what for a living? Hmm...
edit on 27-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I just read another story that said he had over 20 firearms and over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Finally, a respectable "arsenal."

He was crazy low on ammo though. Must not actually use any of those guns.

Maybe that could be a "nut" indicator? Lots of guns but not enough ammo to make use of them all

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I know right!?!?!?!

I just am gonna be sad when they come and take my firearms. Hope they bring a trailer.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Yes, he was low on ammo. I was talking to my dad last night, and we were chatting about how it really isn't that uncommon to buy 1,000 rounds at a time.

Check out this link to an article from a local Maryland TV station. Nothing like a misleading, fear-inducing headline, eh?

Sources: Maryland mass shooting suspect arrested

Last time I checked, to be a mass shooting suspect, you have to do some shooting first, yeah?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Reply to post by kluskinoodle

That doesn't make any sense.

How can there be a shooting suspect when nobody has been shot?

They can say he "threatened" and use that as a reason to hold his guns but "shooting suspect" he is not.

No doubt hysterics stemming from the Colorodo incident.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Even if they arrested him prematurely, they may or may not have saved people's lives, but they also may have saved this man from the most serious mistake of his life. Right now his charges can be pled down to nothing too serious, but if he had gone through with it, he'd be dead or facing the death penalty.

Good job on the police for this one.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

And the way they frame the story with images from Colorado and a little recap of the Colorado events is totally suspect.

Integrity is gone from journalism. Has been for a long time.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In my job, we often get death threats, bomb threats, shooting threats, and more. I've had people look me up on Facebook and read tell me my address over the phone, and I just remain professional and file my police reports, which are only there to help keep me out of jail if I defend myself or solve my murder if I'm dead, they do nothing to help protect me in the meantime, but the point is this......

I once took such a call, and I was able to help the person, solve the majority of their issues, get many, many thank yous in the end of the call, so I didn't feel the need to file a report about the previous ranting and threats that started the call. MAN WAS I WRONG! That idiot went and held up an office in another state, hostage situation, stand off, the whole enchilada. Luckily nobody got killed, because in the ensuing investigation it was found that I was the last one he had warned before he did his thing. If it had turned into a mass murder, some of it would have been on my shoulders for not over-reacting to his crazy rantings.

This situation is why all government officials take EVERY threat seriously, no matter how silly they seem. Look at the 9/11 aftermath of people that "should have done something."

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
~snip~

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that he probably just got drunk and started saying stupid stuff because he was mad at his employer.

~snip~

That's enough, to me, to prove oneself not quite stable enough to have access to firearms, at least until proven otherwise. My opinion is they got this one right.

And yeah, 1000 rounds is crazy low. I rarely buy less than that at a time for the guns I shoot regularly.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The source from my fox DC

Investigators say a search of Trescott's home turned up more than 20 guns, including assault rifles and handguns, and more than 400 rounds of ammunition.

Not even 1000 rounds like you guys are saying... hah 400 rounds?

Thats nothing... I shoot more than that weekly

Also here comes the joker connection

The official says though the suspect referred to himself as "a joker," there is no other known connection to a deadly shooting last week at a Colorado movie theater during the latest Batman movie.

Seriously, This story is nothing but hype...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Everybody makes mistakes. I just hope that they aren't accusing him of planning a mass murder and plastering all over the media if all he did is make a mistake and had a bunch of guns at his house.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

And the way they frame the story with images from Colorado and a little recap of the Colorado events is totally suspect.

Integrity is gone from journalism. Has been for a long time.

Exactly. I started as a journalism major in college. Luckily, my prof was a fairly pompous donkey and I switched...

If you go back to the link, they have updated the headline to include the man's name, and they're still referring to him as a suspected shooter...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I can;t believe the "joker" connection.

Police: We've received reports of you threatening your employer.

Suspect: Man I was just kidding. I'm a joker like that.

Hysterically paranoid media: Copycat Killer!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by tjack

Everybody makes mistakes. I just hope that they aren't accusing him of planning a mass murder and plastering all over the media if all he did is make a mistake and had a bunch of guns at his house.

Agreed, but as responsible gun owners, it's on us not to make "those kinds" of mistakes.

Getting drunk and stupid and getting behind the wheel is one (very bad) thing.

Getting drunk and stupid and calling up your boss threatening to shoot the place up, well that's kicking it up a notch or ten at least.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I just read another story that said he had over 20 firearms and over 1000 rounds of ammunition.

Rut Ro Shaggy!

Um, er, eh, me thinks I have him beat. Time to start digging that underground cavern.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Regardless of the give and take on details or Maryland's apparent need to share Colorado's horrible media fame somehow, the basic facts seem simple enough.

He owned a large amount of guns and enough ammo to do the deed on a business he may work at.

He was, according to the OP story, about to lose his job.

He did call, on his own, making threats and stupid statements.

In this day and age, the man has either worked in a coal mine without coming up for several years or his statements carry context they may not have many years ago. He was either a drunk with absolutely no judgement (No guns for him!) or he was a real threat that outted himself before anyone had to die. (No guns for him!)

In the end...he's nailed and he has no more guns, at least, we hope. his behavior made that call and I'm just glad there isn't a body count to talk about this time.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This pro-gun nut, with more ammo and almost as many guns as that guy, totally agrees with you!

<<   2 >>

join