It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorillas disarm poachers snares in Africa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Gorillas 1 Idiotic Humans 0
I think the gorillas are much much smarter than the poachers realize, the gorillas are showing that they too can adapt, and overcome. I hope the Gorillas keep this trick in the bag, and pass the intellect onto their babies and so forth.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Too bad we can't train gorillas to shoot at poachers.

And the octopus is a highly under rated creature. But they are all noggin, why are we surprised? lol

AT t hey very least, they are a blast to watch.

I love this one:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

As mankind continues to lag behind into skill-less zombies, the animal kingdom adapts itself for takeover.

Beautiful.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Awesome story!

We're actually watching evolution happen.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Great videos.

I like this one too.

edit on 27-7-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

uh oh planet of the apes or gorrilla grod coming soon? LOLOLOLOL..but cool stuff

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Now all Gorillas need to learn is how to hunt the poachers.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Now all Gorillas need to learn is how to hunt the poachers.

The slverback grunted when the humans walked toward the snares, so they seem to be pretty aware.

I watched a video once of a chimpanzee raid on another chimp group, it was brutal and very bloody.

If these apes ever decide to fight back the poachers don't stand a chance.

Watching the KOKO documentary on Youtube again, highly reccommend it.

edit on 27-7-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
I read another story last year that said Dolphins may not be the smartest sea creatures, Octopus are proving to be very intelligent. They are able to solve complex puzzle boxes and retain the memory of how they finally got it open. They can be very playful and even develop crushes on aquarium workers.

One Octopus took an instant disliking to one intern and would squirt her when ever she came in the room. It never squirted anyone else and a year after she left she came by for a visit and the minute she walked in the room she was soaked.

We know so little about them, very interesting stuff.

I believe many animals are more intuitive then most humans! Maybe we should have them vote in the coming 2012 presidential elections instead of the american public! it seems to be a shame of the damage humans are doing to the oceans, forests and the likes! Every time I read a story about poachers, polluters or even those killing the amazing whales in the ocean it really tears at my soul! I actually hope that somehow our crimes against mother nature will be stopped even if it takes our extermination! I know this is a very morbid response to an overwhelming situation but eventually we would kill ourselves off anyhow so why not spare the majestic beasts of the earth!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I only recently learned that octopus and squid are very intelligent. I really feel bad now, I like calamari. Now the idea of boiling and eating a creature that may be as aware and smart as a dolphin horrifies me. I won't be eating them anymore.

I'm starting to run out of things I can eat. I keep pet fish. Cichlids and goldfish can be incredibly smart and friendly. They greet you like puppies and beg for food. They love to play, too. I eat less fish as a result of seeing this smart and engaging fish behavior firsthand.

I do think animals seem to be upgrading in their awareness. So many are now seen doing uncanny things theyve never been known to do before. But I think it is happening for some humans, too. I know too many people who would scoff at a site like this but who say to me for some reason these days they can't bring themselves to even kill bugs and they don't know why.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Last week I saw a movie about an anthropologist who left society to live in the jungle with gorillas.

The film is called Instinct (1999) and main actors are Anthony Hopkins, Cuba Gooding Jr. and Donald Sutherland.

I recommend it anyone who likes movies that makes you think.

I wanted to put the trailer here, but i find something better:

Surprise

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
I only recently learned that octopus and squid are very intelligent. I really feel bad now, I like calamari. Now the idea of boiling and eating a creature that may be as aware and smart as a dolphin horrifies me. I won't be eating them anymore.

I'm starting to run out of things I can eat. I keep pet fish. Cichlids and goldfish can be incredibly smart and friendly. They greet you like puppies and beg for food. They love to play, too. I eat less fish as a result of seeing this smart and engaging fish behavior firsthand.

I do think animals seem to be upgrading in their awareness. So many are now seen doing uncanny things theyve never been known to do before. But I think it is happening for some humans, too. I know too many people who would scoff at a site like this but who say to me for some reason these days they can't bring themselves to even kill bugs and they don't know why.

Watching squid when they are all lit up is amazing.

As with anything the reason we can't communicate with other intelligent life forms is because we are so different. So in our arrogance we assume they are stupid, when we are the stupid ones for assuming any creature we can't communicate with doesn't think.

It's obvious that most animals think, but self awareness has been the benchmark for smarts. So we only thought of higher apes and dolphins as being intelligent, but even then we used children as benchmarks.

What if the octopus is aware of it's mortality?

Can you imagine living only 3 years and having to wrap your head around that.,

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Good for the gorillas. Hopefully they can spread their knowledge.. but of course once the traps stop working the poachers will find a new way to catch them... (why do they poach them anyway?)

Its for whats known as 'bushmeat' to feed the miners digging up rare earths for cell phones. now you know what a cell phone really costs.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

That was an amazing read. Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Good for the gorillas. Hopefully they can spread their knowledge.. but of course once the traps stop working the poachers will find a new way to catch them... (why do they poach them anyway?)

They aren't trying to catch gorillas, they're just indescriminate. They set thousands of these snares along game trails.

When you're starving meat is meat.

Except that a lot of the time these animals are not being hunted for food, they're being hunted for fun by gun-toting millionaires on hunting trips, or their body parts are being sold to wealthy scum in China to be sold to mentally ill people who think snorting dessicated Gorilla testicles will give them a ten hour boner.

Perfect example is the CEO of GoDaddy, the one filmed slaughtering an African Elephant and filming it.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

They aren't trying to catch gorillas, they're just indescriminate. They set thousands of these snares along game trails.

When you're starving meat is meat.

Except that a lot of the time these animals are not being hunted for food, they're being hunted for fun by gun-toting millionaires on hunting trips, or their body parts are being sold to wealthy scum in China to be sold to mentally ill people who think snorting dessicated Gorilla testicles will give them a ten hour boner.

Perfect example is the CEO of GoDaddy, the one filmed slaughtering an African Elephant and filming it.

Unfortunately all of the animals in Africa are looked at as natural resources, whether it's for meat or boner soup.

Trumps kids shot a whole list of African game a few months ago, in their response they claim to eat what they shoot. But one of their kills was an elephant, so unless they were lying you'll be served elephant at the Trump house for many moons.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A thought.

Since these gorilla's are the ones the Goodall Center has been studying for 50 years, isn't it possible that the studying went both ways?

There's an old saying that says you rise or sink to the level of your competition. If these gorilla's have been around phd students and scientists their whole lives isn't it possible the gorilla's picked up on a few things?

Walk softly and leave only footprints is a great saying, but we leave much more than that. We leave the memories of our actions, in other words we leave a lot.

Could this seeming evolutionary leap have been helped along by human contact?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

According to what we are learning through Quantum Theory, it is impossible for the observer not to affect the observed.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist

According to what we are learning through Quantum Theory, it is impossible for the observer not to affect the observed.

So the big question is, Did they develop this awareness of snares on their own, or did they learn it from watching men destroy snares?

Either way it shows intelligence, but having worked with the mentally retarded most of my life there are classified as learnable or trainable.

If they can learn they have a healthy thought process, but if they can only be trained they are considered low functioning.

I don't think we can say they were trained, so they must be learning.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

How do you figure out if someone has learned or if they are trained? Chimps learned to use sticks to dig out termites or at least the first one did, by watching, other's learned or were trained? I don't know. Isn't it Chimps who pound nuts open as well? I don't know enough about learning myself to figure that one out, but I'd love to hear how one could tell the difference.
edit on 29-7-2012 by Iamschist because: I don't want to talk about it

edit on 29-7-2012 by Iamschist because: comma coma

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join