It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funeral boat found for King Dan, 1st Dynasty of Ancient Egypt, 3000 BC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
A large wooden funerary boat has been uncovered in Egypt near Abu Rawash which is NW of the Giza Plateau.

The story

The journalists story mentions the boat is 6 meters by 150....an immense boat, but I suspect they meant 15 meters (edited to add it is actually 1.5 meters). Which is large by AE boat standards. This find would 'break' the previous held theory that the funeral boat tradition was started in the IV Dynasty. This one comes from a time about 450 years earlier.

Who was King Den you might ask?

The wiki summary about King Den

If you read the article above and the summary you'll notice a puzzle. King Den's mastaba tomb is far to the South near Abydos (the Umm el-Qa'ab area of Abydos). So why would he have funeral boat near Giza?

As with most things archaeological - more time and research is needed

edit on 26/7/12 by Hanslune because: Change of spelling for Dan to Den

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

I've seen references to this being a "solar" boat. Do you know more about what that means? It's not described in much detail in the linked article.

www.business-standard.com...

The six-metre long and 1.5-metre wide pharaonic solar boat "is in good condition," he added.

Its planks are now undergoing renovation before it is put on display in a museum, the 'Middle East Online' reported.

The pharaohs believed that solar boats, buried close to them at death, would transport them in the afterlife.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I believe that refers to the idea that the sun having sunk in the west would travel by a boat on an underground sea/river to the east to rise again in the morning- or it refers to the movement of the sun across the sky in a boat

This is a link to a brief discussion of that

The solar boats

I'm sure someone more versed in AE religious trivia will correct me!
edit on 26/7/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Abu Rawash is the location of Djedfre's Pyramid. Its the 4th Pyramid of Giza, by some accounts.

According to the thread below, the Pyramids are a connect the dots game and Osiris is the solution to the puzzle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Djedfre's Pyramid, the ruined Pyramid, sits at the tip top of Osiris Crown.

Even though Den's (I don't know why you keep writing Dan) tomb is in Abydos, perhaps the goal is to arrive in the after life at the tip top; and a boat is used to make a trip to Djedefre's Pyramid.

My personal theory is the Djedre's Pyramid, in the bigger picture represents a concept similar to biblical concept of Eden.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Nice find, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux

Abu Rawash is the location of Djedfre's Pyramid. Its the 4th Pyramid of Giza, by some accounts.

Yes and like the Giza pyramids it was built in near/in an earlier cemetery.

According to the thread below, the Pyramids are a connect the dots game and Osiris is the solution to the puzzle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would take that theory is highly speculative, although the later AE did have some 'look down' diagrams I'm not sure what value it would have been to them to draw big things on earth by association with 'dots'.

Even though Den's (I don't know why you keep writing Dan) tomb is in Abydos, perhaps the goal is to arrive in the after life at the tip top; and a boat is used to make a trip to Djedefre's Pyramid.

Thanks I corrected that...must have been thinking of Lieutenant Dan..... to your comment, maybe so

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yup Lt. Dan. The boat was a shrimp boat. He was first mate on it.

Wonder how it got to Egypt?

Did they ever find his wheelchair, too?

LOL

RE: the OP...that is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I am, like most, somewhat interested in AE, but don't know enough about it to do much more than read and ask stupid questions.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Yup Lt. Dan. The boat was a shrimp boat. He was first mate on it.

Wonder how it got to Egypt?

Well obviously the movie we saw was of an Earth in a different dimension and that storm must have teleported the shrimp boat (made of Lebanese cedar no less) back in time AND into our dimension! Simple.......

new topics

top topics

join