It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney Questions whether London is ready for the Olympics.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Mitt's in town for the Olympics, but not sure whether we are ready for it, or throwing our full support behind it.

He will meet the British political leadership in London on Thursday, including David Cameron, the prime minister, and Nick Clegg, the deputy prime minister. Mr Romney is then expected to attend the Olympics opening ceremony on Friday.
But he told US television there were "disconcerting" signs about Britain's readiness. "It's hard to know just how well it will turn out," he said. "There are a few things that were disconcerting: the stories about the private security firm not having enough people, supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging."

Don't hold back Mitt. Come to our country and start picking problems with it, not really very polite.

Nonetheless, Mr Romney questioned the enthusiasm of the British public. "Do they come together and celebrate the Olympic moment?"

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Yes Mitt in our own way. If that means having a moan about certain things, then that is just part of the British Physche.

I'm sure Mitt will have a great time when the games kick off. I think his wife has a horse entered in one of the horsey events.

On a Conspiracy Theory note. Didn't John McCain, say something about waiting till after the Olympics to see what happens to Romney's popularity.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
what a nob'ed

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

edit on 26-7-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

I may have came off a little harsh, so I decided to edit my post lol.

London

Troops beef up security at London Olympics after "catalog of disasters"
www.denverpost.com...

With the opening ceremony Friday night, the Olympics now boasts 8,200 men and women assigned to security. Some Londoners have complained in the media about a growing "police state."

However, just three weeks ago, the London Olympics was dangerously close to becoming a security sieve.

The security company G4S had promised to deliver 10,000 security personnel when it signed its $440 million contract. According to the Wall Street Journal, it received 100,000 applicants and interviewed 50,000 candidates. In early July, in a country with 8.4 percent unemployment, G4S had hired only 4,000 people. Then, according to reports, it planned to claim an $89.1 million management fee as part of its contract.

Read more: Troops beef up security at London Olympics after "catalog of disasters" - The Denver Post www.denverpost.com...
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: www.denverpost.com...

Oh yeah? Care to piss anybody off?

North Korea flag mixup to go down in Olympic history as huge major insult
www.csmonitor.com...

Technically, North and South Korea are still at war, since they never signed a cease-fire after the Korean War.

The BBC is reporting that the mistake was actually made in London, where the videos were produced. It notes that the North Korean flag is flying above Hampden Park. All the teams in the Games have their flags displayed at Olympic venues where they compete, and South Korea did not qualify for the women's soccer tournament.

There ya go, keep it up...

If I was Mitt... meyeah... I wouldn't be so polite. This is will be regarded as a pathetic attempt, mark my words. For some reason I find it hard to believe that anybody feels safe in that city.

edit on 26-7-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional comment

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Good question. I wonder if it is too.
Anyways .. not a question he should have asked outloud while visiting there ...
Kinda rude and unpresidential to ask outloud in public.
That's something for a private conversation between leadership ...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
He is entitled to his opinion. The only problem is that his opinion on most other things has been wrong and not based upon fact or reason.

I hope he hasn't brought Bain with him. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
The impression I've got from the (Internet) news about the Olympics in London is that its a cluster-@#$@. Facilities not ready, security not ready, tons of people in the city who know what the situation is are going on strike over how bad it is. Plus Romney has actual experience in dealing with this. I'd say London officials better listen and get their act together.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

The facilities are ready in London and have been for sometime. Security should never have been contracted out to a private security company in the first place, but that's the Tories for you. The strikes have been averted from the Customs staff.

The Olympics will run fine. Still, too much public money has been spent on it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Good question. I wonder if it is too.
Anyways .. not a question he should have asked outloud while visiting there ...
Kinda rude and unpresidential to ask outloud in public.
That's something for a private conversation between leadership ...

Yup, it's a great question...

What should be asked out loud, is the security and bringing more attention to the safety of all these people attending. For some reason I don't think that they put as much emphasis on the Olympics as other parts of the world, I could be wrong...

He's a human being attending the games, why even go there with some p/c ****. I personally would not attend these games, I'm surprised that he is... although I'm sure his personal security team can protect him.

Private conversation? HAHAHA...

Mitt gently whispers... "psss... hey, hey you... I think you guys did a ****** job, your security sucks and I don't think this is safe"

David Cameron whispers back... "psss... I know..., now shut up and enjoy the show"

That's when they look at one another:

(Cameron)

(Romney)
edit on 26-7-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: clarity

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

INDEED!! MIT suck my british love stick!! Who the hell dose he think he is??? like any one in the uk even cares what mit romney has to say go back to getting you ass wooped by obama and shut the fudge up!!!

im really anoyed by this if you hadent noticed!!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Given the current climate here in the UK I've been pretty much pissed off at all the money being spent on these Olympics, the vast majority of it in the already affluent London and surrounding areas, but all the ridiculous false flag / NWO etc threads - and the blatant anti-UK sentiments expressed by many within them - and comments like this, (and I guess a little British pride), are all combining in some way to making me hope that these games run like clockwork, are a terrific success and are thoroughly enjoyed by everyone.

But then I keep on thinking about that smug arsehole Cameron and how much political gain he will get out of it and I get angry again.

Mitt Romney can say what he wants - in a years time no-one here will remember anything about him other than him being a Presidential wannabee and failure - and let's face it - even if it had been Obama who had said it no-one here really gives a toss what they think.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I suppose its just Romney's way of trying to win the british vote
But onbiously no one told him that we wont be voting in the US elections

Anyway Mitt to answer your question:

We #ed everything up except that massive mcdonalds we built!

edit on 26-7-2012 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by jjkenobi

The facilities are ready in London and have been for sometime. Security should never have been contracted out to a private security company in the first place, but that's the Tories for you. The strikes have been averted from the Customs staff.

The Olympics will run fine. Still, too much public money has been spent on it.

Oh Really? Dated July 26th: Athletes' Rooms In The Olympic Village Have No Air Conditioning

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

There is a part of me that hates to respond to this thread because just last night I put up a rant about how we here at ATS spend all our time on the wrong things and our speculation of false flags is one of them...however; I did catch this headline. It stuck with me because of his particular areas of concern

"You know, it's hard to know just how well it will turn out. There are a few things that were disconcerting, the stories about the private security firm not having enough people, supposed strike of the immigration and customs officials, that obviously is not something which is encouraging."
story here

It reminded me of a post I recently read in which (Rove, I think it was Rove, if not it had to be Cheney) said that Mitt would probably announce a VP soon because everyone will be distracted when the Olympics are underway. That thread speculated that he had accidentally alluded to something he knew about something that was going to happen.

Right now Mitt's comments are a political liability. BUT, if something did go very, very wrong at the Olympics because immigration and customs failed to keep out some kind of terrorist then he would all of a sudden look smart, wise, and able to protect OUR (U.S.) country as President.

So, perhaps he knows of some chatter? Perhaps he is just betting that saying it and taking the fallout for an inconsiderate comment is less painful than the praise for his foresight if he happens to be right, or perhaps it was just a stupid ill considered comment. Though it was rather detailed to be just a stupid inconsiderate comment.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
As a proud Englishman, I'm very proud to say that yet again the people in charge have found a way to make us the laughing stock of the West. It's not the 'People's Olympics' anymore than McDonald's is the 'People's Restaurant'. Dire recession with £27million spent on the two shows aside... How's this? A florist was ordered to remove 5 flower rings, a butchers 5 sausage rings, a bakers 5 bagels, and even a funeral directors 5 wreaths(!) as they contravined trademark laws. Yay! We won the Olympics! But don't celebrate or we'll prosecute is the theme. London at a gridlock as main artery roads have been designated 'OLYMPIC LANES' yet the French athletes have complained about the traffic as nobody told them about them. Already (this was actually before the opening ceremony!) an African athlete has quit, walked into a Police station and claimed asylum. Political debacle? Maybe... But from a personal level my wife's just annoyed because they've cancelled all of her soaps to show the Olympics instead ;-) We didn't need it, want it, or even cope with it... There's the English opinion for you.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by danny7147
As a proud Englishman, I'm very proud to say that yet again the people in charge have found a way to make us the laughing stock of the West. It's not the 'People's Olympics' anymore than McDonald's is the 'People's Restaurant'. Dire recession with £27million spent on the two shows aside... How's this? A florist was ordered to remove 5 flower rings, a butchers 5 sausage rings, a bakers 5 bagels, and even a funeral directors 5 wreaths(!) as they contravined trademark laws. Yay! We won the Olympics! But don't celebrate or we'll prosecute is the theme. London at a gridlock as main artery roads have been designated 'OLYMPIC LANES' yet the French athletes have complained about the traffic as nobody told them about them. Already (this was actually before the opening ceremony!) an African athlete has quit, walked into a Police station and claimed asylum. Political debacle? Maybe... But from a personal level my wife's just annoyed because they've cancelled all of her soaps to show the Olympics instead ;-) We didn't need it, want it, or even cope with it... There's the English opinion for you.

As a first ever post this isn't bad at all, kudos.

Apparently, due to "Olympic Marketing" I am not allowed to say, "London 2012, the Olympics, Pepsi, Burger King or don't give ATOS (look it up)."

Here's a little info for you sponsors. I will NEVER buy another Coke product again as long as I live and I'm encouraging my friends to do the same. Once a month my family would travel a few miles to the local McDonald's for a treat, that is now OFF the cards, we will travel over twice the distance to go to a Burger King for our treat. I'll never fly BA again, even if I have to freaking swim across the Atlantic. My Visa card has been cut up and put in a shredder.

Now some of you may say, "Dude, isn't that a bit extreme?" I retort with, "NO, absolutely not, until these massive corporations start seeing damage to their accounts we will never get anywhere."

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by danny7147

Absolutely the best first post (maybe even best ever post) ever!!!

I was about to rant something very similar

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thanks
I've read ATS quite a lot in the past but I thought I'd subscribe because this Olympics sham has just really got under my skin.

I'm guessing everyone's heard about the strikes too, with (amongst a hole ton of others) the Border Agency planning a strike... hey, let's let 'em in lol! The bit that made me smile though was that London bus drivers threatened a strike and have got a £500 ($700ish) cash payment for working over the Olympics, where as the Weymouth drivers haven't. Let me put this in perspective... Weymouth's a little sea town not far from where I live... totally dominated by one bus company. Working wage is around £8 an hour. Not too bad... but compare that to the £15-£20 an hour London earn... let alone time and a half saturdays, double time sundays, "unsocial hours" bonuses... you name it... and you get my point.

I totally agree with the marketing side of things too, I'm actually expecting to see the tarmac on the running track emblazoned with "OFFICIAL TARMAC SUPPLIERS TO THE OLYMPICS!" ;-)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Let's just finish this thread with this.

Romney repeats what every news outlet has been going on about for the past 2 weeks. Biggest non-news story of the day.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Nonetheless, Mr Romney questioned the enthusiasm of the British public. "Do they come together and celebrate the Olympic moment?"

As if we Americans came together for the Olympics that we held here. I think a large portion Americans were annoyed that their normal tv shows were preempted by people flopping around on gym mats.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
"Radiation and rockets at the London Olympics you ask? Yes, more than 7,000 tons of radioactive debris pushed just to the side to build the Olympic stadium and anti-aircraft missIes anchored on the rooftops of private London residences. War games, military and private security forces patting down the throngs at a cost of £1 billion ($1.54 billion) just for “security” alone, this is the straw which has finally broken the camel’s back for my lifetime of Olympics watching."

cuttingthegordianknot.wordpress.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join