It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosquito larvae in homemade BioEcosystem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hey ATS, so I have just uploaded a video of a small Ecosystem I have created using Mosquito larvae found in my garden last night. I want to share this upload as I am really surprised how well my webcam footage had turned out, it really looks like an alien world and it is the first time I have even seen these larvae up close.

I created this ecosystem or whatever you want to call it after finding a new potential hobby, one that incorporates both nature and art which are two major passions of mine. The last couple of days I have discovered something called Aquascaping (underwater landscaping). I plan on buying a large Aquarium to create my fist Aquascape but I have to wait until next month. Until then I thought this would be a fun experiment.

Anyway this is the video, you can watch it in HD if you follow the link of course.

If you’re interested in creating one for yourself all you really need is an empty bottle, here are the steps I took...
1. Find an empty drink bottle, rinse it out with water.

2. Find some small larvae, here in the UK they are often found in buckets of water.

3. Fill up the large empty bottle with the stagnant rain/pond water (not tap water as it has Chlorine) and also add moss type plants, rocks and leaves.

4. Once the bottle is about 70% full, extract some of the larvae from the source with a small net or cup and transfer them into the large bottle of water.

5. Once the larvae are in with the plants etc, simply screw the lid onto the container as tight as possible.

6. I also taped up some tissue over the lid just to be safe, remember if you get Mosquito larvae as seen in the video they will eventually turn into adult Mosquito! Do not open the bottle back up, if you have to do this outside and ideally when all the adult Mosquito have died...

Also this is tan Aquascape video from someone else; this should be enough to get anyone inspired. I am also curious if any other ATS members already do this kind of thing?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
That's pretty cool.

I used to grow stuff in collected river water when I was a kid and view it under a magnifying glass.

Make you think twice about drinking from the fresh mountain stream though.

-SC

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SkullCreek

Yeah it is a shame as people grow up we often lose interest in the things we did as kids, I have this bottle sitting by the second monitor and it is far more fun watching the lavae float around then anything on TV I bet.

join