It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive mako shark stuns anglers as it leaps repeatedly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Just saw this on yahoo. Anyone into sport fishing has to appreciate this poetry in motion. Being a animal lover, it makes me a tad sad, but still, on the other hand, it is awesome to watch. Not sure how to embed this kind of video so you'll have to go to THIS PAGE to see it.

A snippet from the article:

Alex Beck and Mark Martin may not have won the Flying Mako fishing tournament held in San Diego last weekend, but thanks to their buddy Keith Langford, they undoubtedly came away with the best fishing tale of the day, and the video to prove it. While competing in the annual catch and release affair, Langford captured this incredible footage of a giant mako shark leaping from the water not once, not twice, but nine times, right in front of them.

See Video Here

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Being a animal lover, it makes me a tad sad,

It was catch and release so all the shark got was some exercise

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalWabbit

the amount of leaping the shark did, along with the entire battle, could have exhausted the shark which might lead to its demise. This doesn't always happen but, if you've fished enough and done some catch and release, you'll see the crew hold the fish along side the boat, gently, letting it rest and, when the fish is ready, it bolts. When the line snaps or the fish spits the hook, they don't get the "safe" spot to rest and they can become prey to other predators.

The leap of any fish is a sight to behold. A giant mako like that is, as mentioned above, poetry. I've been fortunate enough to see a mako take a leap once, along with some whales and dolphin and each time, there wasn't a hook involved. It's awe inspiring and, in the case of the whales, damned near frightening.

new topics

join